Yamaha 150 or Etec 150?

• magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I am looking at purchasing a new Alumacraft Dominator 175 and I am going to put a 150 on the back and I am leaning towards the Yamaha 4 stroke but the boat dealer has to find one as he doesn’t have one in stock. Also he did mention that the Yamaha motors have been a bit more difficult to come by since the disaster in Japan. He said the Etec motors are readily availabe.

I am pretty sold on the 4 strokes as my current rig has one and I love it.

What is everyone elses opinion? 4 stroke or Etec? Pros and cons?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

How long you going to keep the boat? The Yamaha would be my choice, everyone I know that has one has had no issues with them, have not heard the same for e-tec but I haven’t seen anything first hand. Yamaha sells more 150’s than all the e-tecs combined, should say something about their reliability. This is just my .02.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I will have the boat for many years. I have heard the Yamaha 150’s are solid as they come when it comes to outboards. I have heard of alot of issues with the Etecs. They have supposedly made changes to resolve some of the issues such as their injector problems.

Thanks for input.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

My Dad always told me that good things come to those who wait..

Yamaha

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

i have a good friend who has an alumacraft dealership, and both yami and etec dealerships. His percentages are the same on both so i trust his advice. he said flip a coin. the hole shot is better on the etec for both weight and torque. MPG is a wash. the OLD etecs, i.e. the first OMC DIs had problems, but they’ve gone away now. For me, i’ll probably go etec on my big salmon boat, something 2-4 years old at the time. but i’m just old fashioned…

esoxrox

I would go yamaha the two guys I know with 150 etecs have both had to have new power heads put on. That and the oil for them is like 40-50 bucks a gallon for synthetic. They sip gas but i hear yamaha is also fuel friendly. Both are a great option but I’d go yamaha.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

My vote goes on the Etec, I have a 2011 Etec and love it, you can fog it yourself, if you get one use XD100 OIL, I have only used 3 quarts all season, maint interval is 300hrs or 3 years, I wouldn’t have that other one, my opinion, Evinrude great motor

Tony K
    Barnes Wi

I have a 07 yamaha f150 have over 1100 hr on it and only thing i have done is injectors once at 900hrs was fule problem not yamaha problem this motor gets run hard and loves it it has never left me down its great.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

I have the setup you are looking at with the Etec. Great motor in my opinion. My dad has an 07′ and mine is a 08′. Between these two motors we have replaced 1 started is all, and that was under warranty. Talk about power, my boat just jumps on plane with the etec/dom. 175. Top speed very close to 50 mph with alum. prop, maybe more with a stainless.

Dont let the oil arguement sway you, the etecs hardly use any oil at all. A gallon will last you a very long time.

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

I have 04 Yammie F150 and love it. Only time to a dealer was for prev. maint. water pump impellor. Sips gas, quiet, and dependable starts every time hot or cold. Going to sell it and get a Skeeter with the same on the back.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Both great motors and I don’t think you can go wrong no matter which way you go.
    The one thing you may want to consider is weight. I don’t know what each one weighs but it would be worth checking into.
    If you were to add 3 people and a full live well, how would the extra weight effect your hole shot in particular.

Just something I would take a look at before making a final decision.

Boog

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Thanks for all the input guys! The dealer did locate a yami 150 for me and it will be here the first part of next week. I am sure I would be happy with either one but I am going with yamaha. Thanks again for the input guys!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

I have the setup you are looking at with the Etec. Great motor in my opinion. My dad has an 07′ and mine is a 08′. Between these two motors we have replaced 1 started is all, and that was under warranty. Talk about power, my boat just jumps on plane with the etec/dom. 175. Top speed very close to 50 mph with alum. prop, maybe more with a stainless.

Dont let the oil arguement sway you, the etecs hardly use any oil at all. A gallon will last you a very long time.

The starter issue is why I would stay away from Etech. Had 3 on my 75 hp and was still having issues. Sure wasnt going to pay the mechanics to figure out this issue on my dime after the warranty was up. Yamaha fixed my motor problems.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Love my Yamaha!!!!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.