Epic night pickin crawlers

• eyeguy507
    SE MN

never did this as a kid since my step dad did not fish or know how but holy S was the yard full of em tonight here in SE MN. had to stop picking after 5-10 minutes. i wish fishing was this easy to predict! i should be good to go through May pullin spinners on Pepin. anybody get out tonight? would be an awesome time to get kids out of the house for an hour or so. i asked my teenage daughter and she just rolled her eyes!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Was thinking it’s too cold in the metro but I may need to go have a look

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I hit the jackpot last week at home. Was leaving my house for work really early at 3 or something and noticed the driveway and road were covered. Hoping this place pays off with crawlers all summer. My old house in Chisago was awesome for them.

Iowaboy1

We have been getting warm rains finally the last couple of days and the night crawlers are breeding like Miley after three hits of acid/speed on prom night.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Glad I checked! Got about 4 dozen in 10 minutes

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I usually don’t score any until the first grass mowing.

queenswake
    NULL

Looks today will be a good day between the warm weather and how hard it’s pouring. They should be flooded out.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

They were thick when I took the dog out last night. I think I’ll go out and pick some tonight. 👍

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Got 10 dozen in 20 minutes tonight, thanks for the heads up

stevenoak

If you are picking worms driven by rain. Get them to some dryish bedding soon as possible. Picked a ton for a penny a piece when I was a kid.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We picked a ton more last night. Our street is crawler heaven. Big thick ones were the only ones we grabbed. I filled a 2 gallon bucket over half way. My son and I laughed our butts off doing it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Randy that was a good thread for worm keeping. I buy a empty flat from the bait shop and fill with soil from our garden and some news paper. I keep them in our garage fridge and have always had luck doing so. I’m interested in the moss thing as I have never seen that. I will be looking for moss later today by the river

eyeguy507
    SE MN

took the dogs outside last night and they were all over my driveway. never seen them this thick just chillin on the driveway so now i should be good through June! perfect conditions with humidity after a bunch of rain.

FryDog62

“…yard full of em tonight here in SE MN…”

We used to wait until the frost went out of the ground in the spring in Rochester, and then go to Soldiers Field golf course after they watered. Could almost scoop them up… dozens in minutes. Then off to the Zumbro river to catch whatever swam…

FryDog62

“…And, as far as I can tell the only good reason for golf.”

Amen to that ~

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

They are out this morning! Picked about 3 dozen off the driveway before heading to work.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

“…And, as far as I can tell the only good reason for golf.”

Amen to that ~

Golf is the great! Can you imagine how congested the ramps would be on a weekend morning if all the golfers were launching boats and going fishing?

Stanley

We don’t get crawlers that come out on the road by me after a rain but on Mother’s Day out at the in-laws the road and driveway was full of mostly angle worms but some crawlers mixed in. Tried to get the kids to go pick them but they wouldn’t so I went out and picked quite a few and told the kids they were going to cost $1 a worm in the boat but they didn’t care. A little while later my one son came back with some and said I’m not paying a dollar per worm. rotflol

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m not much for live bait anymore, but a person could literally have tripped walking over big plump crawlers each of these last few nights/mornings with all the rain and humidity. It wouldn’t have taken long to get 20 dozen or so by us.

I’ll sometimes pull a few at night in the dog days of summer for wing dam fishing bull gills or for pulling behind bouncers the next day, but that is a ways off yet. Ever since a few disastrous attempts of my own doing in younger years storing giant flats of crawlers carelessly…I’ve been hesitant to repeat my mistakes. That smell has stuck with me shock

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Back in the late 70s we were heading to Redwing to fish pool 4 in March. The night crawlers were so bad on the road on the hill going south into Eden Prairie that we had to slow down. Slimers.

robby
    Quad Cities

Do do you all think that dew worms are as good as Canadian Crawlers, the ones picked during low tide? I picked worms a lot as a kid, not much need anymore as I rarely use live bait. Not to say I never do, but not often.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.