Empty Chamber Carry Will Get You Killed

• deertracker

I haven’t read the article yet but agree with the title 100%. Some say they can rack a round fast but under stress it won’t happen. I can try to expand more on it later.
    DT

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I always thought it was stupid to carry an uncharged sidearm for carry. I think I did a few times right after getting my permit but figured out fast how useless my sidearm would be in a fast situation. If your carrying it needs to be ready for trigger pull only. Unless you’re carrying a 1911….
    I would argue that if a person is scared to carry their weapon that way they probably shouldnt be carrying in the first place.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

. If your carrying it needs to be ready for trigger pull only. Unless you’re carrying a 1911….

This is a tangent, but how ARE you supposed to carry a 1911 for CC?

I would assume it’s locked and cocked, but seeing any gun holstered or in an at rest position WHILE cocked kind of freaks me out. Yes, I get that a striker pistol is cocked anyway…

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>
    . If your carrying it needs to be ready for trigger pull only. Unless you’re carrying a 1911….

I would assume it’s locked and cocked, but seeing any gun holstered or in an at rest position WHILE cocked kind of freaks me out. Yes, I get that a striker pistol is cocked anyway…

Grouse

I steer clear of any 1911 topic. I dont own one. I will never own one. Watch your ass in Wi tomorrow! Grouse opener and all……:)

big_g
    Isle, MN

Along the same lines, I have always heard, for home defense, a pump shotgun, bedside… when an intruder hears you rack a shell, they will beat feet. Would your goal be scare off the perp or shoot to kill ? Really 2 different scenarios apply… you see the potential threat coming and have time to react or you don’t. I see advantages to trigger pull *BOOM* and to the shell rack… thoughts ?

Jonesy

On duty and off I always carried mine hot loaded (full magazine and one in the pipe)

Reef W

Cocked and locked… it only looks scary. Some 1911s, like Springfield Armory models, also have grip safeties that need to be depressed to fire.

That’s assuming you want to carry a finicky 100 year old design of course devil

deertracker

G, you are correct. The best home defense weapon is a shotgun. No need for the warning rack though, you would get the hint with the verbal “commands” I would be yelling. coffee
    DT

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Some 1911s, like Springfield Armory models, also have grip safeties that need to be depressed to fire.

All 1911’s have the grip safety….have since 1911 smile

Reef W

All 1911’s have the grip safety….have since 1911 ” />

doah I knew mine did, forgot all of them did lol

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

On duty and off, always loaded hot.

Palerider77

On the subject of 1911’s if cocked and locked makes you nervous, it is because you don’t know how the machine works. I would bet that most carry their grouse gun loaded with the safety on, and any modern shotgun has fewer provisions preventing negligent discharges than a 1911.

big_g
    Isle, MN

it can’t possibly be because someone is being over cautious ? they have to be dumb ??? crazy

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

i carry mine empty as it gets moved around a lot (center console to holster, back to center console, etc)

it just makes me nervous that my 11yo daughter might not realize how dangerous it is and accidentally discharge it.

if it were holstered at all times, i would carry one in the tube…

i do realize that i might not be prepared for some situations. i knowingly take that risk.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Good thinking Stu… I wonder it this title could read, empty chambered handgun, saves childs life…? crazy

Palerider77

Not dumb, ignorant of the operating system.

This conversation got off track. A stored gun should be empty, I thought we were talking about carrying, as in on your hip. Children should not be given unsupervised access to guns. If it isn’t on your person, it should be locked up. A gun in your glovebox isn’t carried, as it isn’t under your immediate control.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I guess I’ve always thought that a gun as a last resort, used only when everything else fails…at the last minute. If there’s time to rack one into the chamber, it’s not the last second.

Some will say that the action of racking one in will defuse the situation. I wouldn’t bet my life on that.

I can’t tell you what’s right for you or even if you should carry. I know what’s right for me. wave

big_g
    Isle, MN

With that analogy Brian, it should be in your shooting hand as you walk around.

lhprop1
    Eagan

I guess I’ve always thought that a gun as a last resort, used only when everything else fails…at the last minute. If there’s time to rack one into the chamber, it’s not the last second.

I got in an argument with a friend of mine who used to be a Gunnery Sgt. She (yes, she) said I was irresponsible for carrying with one in the pipe. I told her that if she has time to chamber a round, she has time to escape/evade/avoid.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

With that analogy Brian, it should be in your shooting hand as you walk around.

Might be… ” />

But on the other hand I would need my shooting hand or other possible avoidance.
    My goal is to leave this earth without having to use a carry permit or throw a can of Spam at anyone.

lhprop1
    Eagan

My goal is to leave this earth without having to use a carry permit or throw a can of Spam at anyone.

Give it time. Before you know it, you’ll be the crazy old coot standing outside his camper at Everts in his underwear with a Hamm’s in one hand and throwing cans of Spam at passers by with the other.

You’ll be famous.

Iowaboy1

if I may,
    I was taught at the age of three or so to leave any and all guns in our home the hell alone,when dad spoke,you listened!! this was long before safes,locks and the like,and if we were caught any where near them,or even looking like we were going to touch one,our back side got tanned,and because of that,no one in our family got hurt or killed,and the spankings,the pain from them ended a long time ago.
    dads guns were generally in a closet,and I suppose being out of site,out of mind applies here. there is no reason that a child in any home today could have access to any weapon,period. when we were old enough,we were taught to shoot,and shoot well,never aim at anything you did not intend to kill,and never kill for the fun of it,and NEVER,EVER,point it at any one,loaded,or not.

we were taught what killing meant,that dead was dead,and that was forever,and this included an animals life that we hunted for food,but,when it came to defending yourself,its you or them,so who’s going to be??

believing that you have time to put one in the chamber of any weapon is foolish thinking as the perp already has one up on you,he or she is going to have one in the chamber and not screwing around waiting on you to equalize things,and I know not everyone is packing if and when they jump you,but do you honestly think you are going to have time? the answer is a solid no.
    think about this,if you are asleep,and your home is invaded,can you honestly say that you are quick enough to come to if you arent already beat senseless,or dead,and have the time to rack one? you have to get over the idea that you are invincible and quicker than your foe.

even if you are fully awake and minding your own business,the perp has already decided what they are going to do to you,and you simply dont have enough time to out think a thought that has already been acted upon,you are dead before you know what hit you.
    as far as me,yes my cc is hot at all times,in fact every gun in my house is this way,and my grandson who is two,he cant get to them,and when the time comes,he will be taught what they can do,hopefully with out getting spanked,education shouldnt be painful,but should be reinforced.

before any one says,but what if the perp gets to your loaded gun first?
    the answer is they would have to know where they are at,and I sleep with my 45 under my pillow when its not on me,and yes,its a 1911,like someone else said,know and understand the weapon,yes its design is 100 years old,but the gun itself is only three,does that mean its any better? its a weapon that is man made,that alone makes it prone to problems as they all are,does that mean I trust it? hell no,I know what these things can do to someone,I treat it like its a rattlesnake ready to strike,do I fear it?no,I respect it for what it is.

since this ran so long,I will say thats my thirty six cents worth
    remember to look out for flying spam!!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Get a grenade and pull the pin and hold it til you need it. crazy

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Oh G do you always need to be so graphic. remember, this is minnesota. let’s be nice…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Get a grenade and pull the pin and hold it til you need it.  :crazy:

G you need to think these through a bit more. By holding a live grenade, a person could be considered a terrorist and be shot by the guy with one in the tube.

Have a great day you guys!! wave

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Glad I don’t have to worry about this…..Revolvers are always ready…. grin

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.