Electric Question on 36 volts

• fishspike

If I put a battery tender on battery one of a 36 volt system is that okay? I know nothing about electricity so no telling

milemark_714

You will need to charge each battery in the series.The way you describe will only charge one.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

If I put a battery tender on battery one of a 36 volt system is that okay? I know nothing about electricity so no telling

Yes, it is OK, but it will only maintain that 1 battery. Are you planning on moving it from battery to battery over time?

HRG

fishspike

I will now thanks. I have an onboard charger but heard horror stories about leaving it on all the time

Ron
    Victoria, mn

There is no need to use any type of charger while your boat is in storage if you do it right.
    1. Check the water level and top off if needed.
    2. Fully charge the batteries.
    3. Disconnect the negative terminals and tie-wrap the wires so they don’t accidentally contact the battery posts. (I also disconnect the positives so I’m sure to clean all the terminals next spring before I reconnect them.)

There’s no need to charge your batteries over the winter, especially in cold climates. Batteries operate on a chemical reaction and chemical reactions slow down as temperature drops. Attached is a chart of my battery voltages before storage and after for the last few years.

Attachments:
    1. Batt-voltage.jpg

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL
    Ron
    Victoria, mn

What about using your on-board charger, for a couple of hours every week? the usual 24-hour lamp timers are also available in 1-week versions, you could set it for once every week.

HRG

Why? It’s just busy work. You don’t need to if you properly prepare your batteries for storage.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hot Runr Guy wrote:</div>
    What about using your on-board charger, for a couple of hours every week? the usual 24-hour lamp timers are also available in 1-week versions, you could set it for once every week.

HRG

Why? It’s just busy work. You don’t need to if you properly prepare your batteries for storage.

Ron,
    just wondering if you pull your batteries and bring them indoors or have a heated garage. I’ve always thought that batteries freezing was a bad thing. I have an insulated garage with a heater, but I don’t run the heater all winter and thought it was just good insurance to pull them for the winter.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

I leave the batteries in the boat, properly prepared per steps 1, 2 and 3 as described in my previous post. My boat is stored in an unheated building. Batteries will not freeze if they are good batteries, fully charged. Bad or dead batteries will freeze.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Here are two handy charts.

Attachments:
    1. Voltage-Chart-1.jpg

2. electrolyte-freeze-point.jpg

3. Voltage-Chart.jpg

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Sorry, the charts aren’t loading right and I don’t know why.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.