Drotto

• reddog

I have to be the only guy that couldn’t make my Drotto function on my WX1850 Skeeter. I moved the post forward, back. Adjusted the holes, did everything other than cutting my winch post off. It would never release. Every time I ended up taking the bolt out to get it to unhook. Then had to put it back on to load, which it worked fine at. It was just too much torque on the jaws to release. It’s sitting on the shelf now, as I disliked the angst of whether it was going to work or not.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    If you guys get your feet wet loading or unloading with or with out the drotto, I’m going to say your doing it wrong. I have no drotto, 1 boat with bunk, and 1 boat with rollers. Fish by my self or with a kid who can’t drive the truck. Never have wet feet.
    I watch the wet up to the knees guys all the time at the launch and just wonder why.
    But I do want to try one out. Seems like a great idea.

We had landings around here last year that you had to back up so far into the lake that the front tires on the truck were in the water. Unless you can fly I’d like to see how you are going to get to the winch without getting your feet wet.

That’s a different then normal for most areas I’m talking about. I also fish shallow river and all 4 tires have to be in. I was talking about 90 percent of people I see at regular normal landings

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I get in the water everytime when fishing by myself. Spring and fall I wear my knee waders for warmth and launching. Works great especially with no docks and 35 degree water. A lot faster than trying to walk around to a dock or straddling the trailer tongue, getting in and wasting more time at the launch.
    I only power load if I have a competent friend in the truck otherwise it takes longer when solo.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

reddog, have you tried calling Drotto for any ideas for your situation?

I have a Drotto for an 18′ Lund on a roller trailer. It’s great. I fish solo about 90% of the time. Makes launching/loading much easier.
    I also bought hip boots with all the low water last year when I had to get in the water.
    Just ordered Ezee Steps yesterday. Last year I experienced several instances when the docks weren’t lined up along side the ramp (I don’t jump to the dock anymore) or not in far enough. After climbing over the gunnel a few times I started bringing a step ladder. That works fine but takes up space in the box of the truck. The steps are spendy but will be well worth. I’m not getting any younger!!

reddog

reddog, have you tried calling Drotto for any ideas for your situation?

I have a Drotto for an 18′ Lund on a roller trailer. It’s great. I fish solo about 90% of the time. Makes launching/loading much easier.
    I also bought hip boots with all the low water last year when I had to get in the water.
    Just ordered Ezee Steps yesterday. Last year I experienced several instances when the docks weren’t lined up along side the ramp (I don’t jump to the dock anymore) or not in far enough. After climbing over the gunnel a few times I started bringing a step ladder. That works fine but takes up space in the box of the truck. The steps are spendy but will be well worth. I’m not getting any younger!!

I’m near Sioux Falls but have not contacted them. I’m busy at work and also building a new house so my fishing time is extremely limited. I need to do that though. I’ve had Ezee Steps for 12 years and love them. I also fish alone alot of time but it’s not just launching and loading where they have value. Getting in and out of the boat in the shop is a breez also with the steps.

toddrun

The only time I had trouble with the Drotto not releasing, the boat was too deep in the water, putting pressure on the jaws. Typically at a really steep launch. The back of the boat lifts too high, creating too much angle on the Drotto.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Agree with the above. On my bunk trailer, I actually trip the release before I back in.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Agree with the above. On my bunk trailer, I actually trip the release before I back in.

2X

I have found if the boat is forward putting pressure on the back of the cams, vehicle side, It doesn’t release usually. My skeeter usually moves slightly forward when trailering. I get the boat on the ramp and half in the water. That’s when I take off my safety straps. With the angle of the ramp it usually takes the pressure off the cams and it will release.

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

I have to be the only guy that couldn’t make my Drotto function on my WX1850 Skeeter. I moved the post forward, back. Adjusted the holes, did everything other than cutting my winch post off. It would never release. Every time I ended up taking the bolt out to get it to unhook. Then had to put it back on to load, which it worked fine at. It was just too much torque on the jaws to release. It’s sitting on the shelf now, as I disliked the angst of whether it was going to work or not.

Works fine on my WX1850, have to make sure the boat is in the water far enough for the release to work, won’t release just sitting on the trailer. The boat has to float just a little. I did move my post ahead about one inch.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Got to put it to work today and it worked as planned I did adjust the height of the post down about a inch unloaded as stated loaded and locked like a charm

klang

Love it, wish I would of bought sooner! I think on a scale, the older you are the more you like (need one) sorry to say I am closer to the top of that scale. I have a roller trailer, fish by myself 40% of time.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

My buddy and I both joined the Drotto owners club yesterday. We drove to the Scheels in Eden Prairie and both picked them up. They had a crap load of them in stock. Hope to install it this weekend.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I bought mine at Scheels Rochester had a mailed out coupon, mine cost me 289.00 plus tax they had plenty on hand

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I still haven’t pulled the trigger on a drotto simply because I’m so good at doing it the old fashioned way. As I get more “experience” (read: older) I am going to invest in a nice set of steps for the trailer, but that’s probably all.

They’ve always interested me though. Maybe one day.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I still haven’t pulled the trigger on a drotto simply because I’m so good at doing it the old fashioned way. As I get more “experience” (read: older) I am going to invest in a nice set of steps for the trailer, but that’s probably all.

Same here. I’m fast at doing it the way I’ve always done it. And it voids the lifetime hull warranty on Warrior boats. I’ve never felt like I needed one, I have a bunk trailer and have no problems loading or unloading.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.