Drotto

• The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Pulled the trigger on a Drotto today!! what do you guys that have them think?

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

X2
    have a look at how it affects the position of the boat on the trailer. On my Lund GL186 I had to move the front stem/arm up slightly as the boat sat back a bit. On my WX2060 no change was necessary.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Why ask for opinions after you bought one?
    rotflol

efrommung
    Green Bay, WI

What year 2060 do you have? I just ordered a Drotto with the set-back attachment and haven’t installed it yet. I will leave it as-is if I don’t need the attachment.

B-man

They’re nice if it’s legal to powerload….not so nice if it’s not waytogo

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

2019 Skeeter 2060. The Drotto moved the boat position back about an inch, have a slight rub on the back trailer straps from trailer to boat but not enough to worry about.

My Skeeter trailer does not adjust so it is what it is.

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

You can load so fast with the Drotto nobody knows what just happened!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

A 2 thumbs up! Had one for a few years now and watched them for a couple of years before I bought it. Wish I had thought of them!!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

If you are winching to load, how does the Drotto make it “not so nice”? I have no problems hooking the winch strap to the boat for either loading or securing. Drotto recommends hooking the strap to the boat.

Curious what issue you are having when using the strap?

B-man

HuntinDave, I meant that they don’t really do anything if you can’t powerload waytogo

Mark Anderson

You know that GMC tailgate commercial that everyone has their mouth hanging open when they see the step tailgate? That’s what people do when they see me use my Drotto.

Attachments:
    1. 20190602_143845-scaled.jpg

Erik Swenson

Scratcher, you’ll love the Drotto and no need to power load. You’ll figure out the right speed to glide on after a few tries. coffee As mentioned, you may need to adjust your winch post if able for optimal boat position on the trailer. Also, while mine has not, they’re not fail proof. Take an extra second to hook your safety chain before yanking the boat.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Scratcher, you’ll love the Drotto and no need to power load. You’ll figure out the right speed to glide on after a few tries. coffee As mentioned, you may need to adjust your winch post if able for optimal boat position on the trailer. Also, while mine has not, they’re not fail proof. Take an extra second to hook your safety chain before yanking the boat.

The same extra second it takes me to latch my strap on my bunk trailer as I get off the boat after not using a Drotto coffee

I understand the market for the Drotto, but it wouldn’t make my launching/loading any faster or easier. It’s already a simple process.

Erik Swenson

The same extra second it takes me to latch my strap on my bunk trailer as I get off the boat after not using a Drotto coffee

I understand the market for the Drotto, but it wouldn’t make my launching/loading any faster or easier. It’s already a simple process.
    [/quote]

Agreed it’s a simple process. But does that mean we’re all idiots and wasted our money? Should we just stay off the water and let the real experts show us how it’s done because we can’t do it without our beloved Drottos? Got it…

OP asked those that OWN one. Do you own one Bucky? toast

mojogunter

If you look at past posts there is quite a bit of hate by a few for many things on this site, one thing being the drotto. They don’t have one, and can’t figure out why anyone would want one. All I can say to them not all boats and trailers are the same. Some boats have a eye to latch that is really low to try to hook the latch to by hanging off the front of the boat over the trolling motor. Few have steps to make that easier. Steps are a good alternative, but they are not available for all the trailers and are more money than a Drotto. Some boats on bunk trailers will not hold tight if you don’t hook the strap on and tighten it up before you pull the boat out, and will slide back a bit, and can not be winched up tight sitting on land. To the original poster, chances are you will not be disappointed with your purchase. I like mine, and took it off my last boat when I sold it, and moved it to my present boat.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Had one on 2 different boats, First Alumacraft never worked right. Second Lund and it works every time. Think you have to adjust something to get to work 100% of the time, this includes how you load the boat.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I have a bunk trailer, and installed a Drotto. I think it works well. Does it save me a ton of extra time or effort? Probably not, but it’s still handy.
    However, I’m in a fishing league, and lots of guys have them installed on their roller trailers as well. No need for someone to be standing in the water to “catch” them with a strap when loading, and even more benefit when unloading. Simply have the other person back you into the water with the strap unhooked and you can pull the release on the latch when you’re in the water. It saves a ton of time for those folks.
    Enjoy your purchase!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Agreed it’s a simple process. But does that mean we’re all idiots and wasted our money? Should we just stay off the water and let the real experts show us how it’s done because we can’t do it without our beloved Drottos? Got it…

OP asked those that OWN one. Do you own one Bucky? toast
    [/quote]

Nope, I don’t. Two of my main fishing partners do and they work great on their roller trailers with their routine. I never once faulted the product or said it’s crazy to own one. With a properly aligned bunk trailer I just don’t see a need or how it makes anything faster (unless you’ve got someone backing in, you load, and don’t bother to use the safety chain leaving the ramp…this would save you 5 seconds).

If you are launching by yourself you are already in the same area as the hook to get into the boat. Same goes for if you are landing yourself and climbing out of the boat. Latch it on your way by and pull out without breaking stride.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I plan to get a Drotto this year for my Alumacraft Trophy too. The rollers on my trailer work too good. By the time I pull on the trailer when loading, my boat is sliding back in the water before I can make it up to the winch. I think they would be more beneficial for roller trailers. But there are several guys in our walleye league with bunk trailers that also use and like them.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I don’t have one but if I had a roller trailer like my last boat, I absolutely would get one. Never going back to a roller, I can promise you that!

On a side note, has anyone ever heard of anyone getting cited for power loading?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

On a side note, has anyone ever heard of anyone getting cited for power loading?

No never, I have only ran into a couple signs that I may, or may not have ignored. whistling

lunker2

Every senior fisherman should have it on their trailer.

Gregg Gunter

I installed a Drotto on Saturday, it was easy to install. Then I called Ezee Step and ordered trailer steps. Looking forward to trying both. I’m a senior and not as nimble as I once was. Plus I want to take my 90 yr old Dad and he should be able to handle the steps.

keppenhiemer
    (507) MN

Why or where would it ever be illigal to power load???

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Ralph I don’t care what you think!! Why don’t you stop being a hater to all my post!! Other than Ralph being a dumb a$$ thanks guys I just wondered how you guys like them, I did my research before I bought mine but was curious what real guys though, well other than MR wiggum thanks for the answers. And I do have a roller and load and unload solo on occasion

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.