Drotto

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Why or where would it ever be illigal to power load???

I have seen it when the water gets very low. There are signs clearly indicating No Power Loading right at the access.

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>keppenhiemer wrote:</div>

I have seen it when the water gets very low. There are signs clearly indicating No Power Loading right at the access.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the entire state of WI is no power loading. Swear I read that in the regs not more than couple years ago.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the entire state of WI is no power loading. Swear I read that in the regs not more than couple years ago.

I am not sure of that in WI.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>

I am not sure of that in WI.

I know Lake Chetek ( Chetek WI) is illegal to power load.

mojogunter

I know there is a sign on the St Louis River in Superior WI that has a sign that says no power loading. There isn’t anything in Oconto Wi. Those would be the two in WI I am at the most.

Reef W

By the time I pull on the trailer when loading, my boat is sliding back in the water before I can make it up to the winch. I think they would be more beneficial for roller trailers.

I just keep motor in gear, usually as slow as it will go, and that holds my boat in place until I hook up.

My boat would never ever be straight with a drotto but I assume that’s just an issue with the trailer itself. After hooking up I push it back a ways and crank it up and it will be centered. With a 165 on rollers that’s so easy to do that I never bothered trying to figure out what the issue is.

3Rivers

I can see situations where the Drotto makes a lot of sense but on the other hand I can see where it makes zero sense.

I launch solo 95% of the time and I have a bunk trailer. If I back far enough in to allow the Drotto to release and float the boat off, I’m basically wading out to get in the boat to do that. Pretty much the same when I go to load it back up and in fact actually prefer to keep the trailer out of the water a bit more to keep everything centered.

Every boat is different, but in some cases it doesn’t make anything easier, faster, or better. If you are in the boat and have a buddy backing you in and pulling you out, yeah it helps for sure, especially with a roller trailer.

Solo with bunks, I don’t see any advantage.

Reef W

If I back far enough in to allow the Drotto to release and float the boat off, I’m basically wading out to get in the boat to do that.

Use ropes. One to pull drotto release and a longer one hooked to eye to pull it back in. You shouldn’t ever have to walk in the water.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

No power loading at the Algoma WI marina. If you even approach your trailer under power, in idle, they will start yelling at you no power loading.

3Rivers

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>3Rivers wrote:</div>
    If I back far enough in to allow the Drotto to release and float the boat off, I’m basically wading out to get in the boat to do that.

Use ropes. One to pull drotto release and a longer one hooked to eye to pull it back in. You shouldn’t ever have to walk in the water.

I’m just saying it’s not necessary for me. I give the strap a little slack, and as I’m backing in, as soon as I notice the bow slide back off a bit. I hop out unhook strap, hop on the tongue, give a small push, hop on the bow and I’m off.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

No power loading at the Algoma WI marina. If you even approach your trailer under power, in idle, they will start yelling at you no power loading.
    [/quote]

I’m cool with a yell. anything else?

B-man

I don’t think it’s illegal statewide in Wisconsin, but there’s a bunch of individual accesses posted.

Minnesota has some accesses where you can’t do it either, mainly privately owned marinas from what I’ve seen.

Michigan bans it completely and writes tickets not warnings (from what I’ve heard)

Red Eye

Just putting a sign up doesn’t nesacarly make it illegal. Anyone can put a sign up. Unless its a law or private access, it is not illegal.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The only way I can see than someone does not see a advantage of using the Drotto is if they have never used one.

Here is the difference when loading Solo.

Without Drotto – I drive the boat onto the roller trailer and when it makes contact with the front roller I leave the boat in gear to hold the boat against the front bow roller, Then get out onto the dock and walk to winch and hook the winch strap and wench tight ( often getting my feet wet in the process ) then walk back down the dock and get back in the boat and turn the motor off and Trim it, Get back out of boat and get in truck and pull out.

With Drotto – Drive boat onto the roller trailer, Here click, Trim motor, get out of boat and into truck and pull out.

With a partner and without dratto – Partner drives the boat onto the trailer and I hook the wench strap and wench the boat tight ( Once again often getting my feet wet ) get back into truck and pull out.

With Drotto. Partner drives boat onto the trailer and singles me to pull out. I pull out.

Can the process be done without a drotto? YES. Is is easier without one? NO

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Just putting a sign up doesn’t nesacarly make it illegal. Anyone can put a sign up. Unless its a law or private access, it is not illegal.

Good luck with that. “anyone?” as in county conservation board, city government, state DNR, all dependent on who controls and/or owns that particular body of water?
    Quote direct from the WI DNR ;
    “** About Boating Ordinances: Before boating on an unfamiliar Wisconsin waterways check for a sign at the public boat landing to determine if there are local regulations (more restrictive than state law) which may apply on that waterbody. Also be sure to review the document Wisconsin Boating Regulations at https://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/le/le0301.pdf to learn about statewide regulations. There may be a delay between the time an ordinance is passed and the time it gets into our database. Therefore, the only way to know for sure if a water body has an ordinance in effect is to look for a sign posted at a public boat landing.

Charles

What’s the definition of power loading.

Like motor under way to drive up onto the bunks.

B-man

It’s a gray definition.

A lot of places consider powerloading anytime your outboard is even running (I’ve been yelled at before in neutral coasting with momentum up onto the trailer), others will let you have it in gear at idle, but no more than over idle.

Deuces

Plenty of damage done with the roller guys who keep the thrust on while they latch the eye as well.

As far as power loading legality, did more googling on the matter than I care to admit, hardly fish WI so doesn’t bother me one way or the other, rather more for my own sanity bc I know I read it somewhere.

Couldn’t find anything from the state, lots of city and areas that do make it illegal tho.

3Rivers

The only way I can see than someone does not see a advantage of using the Drotto is if they have never used one.

Here is the difference when loading Solo.

Without Drotto – I drive the boat onto the roller trailer and when it makes contact with the front roller I leave the boat in gear to hold the boat against the front bow roller, Then get out onto the dock and walk to winch and hook the winch strap and wench tight ( often getting my feet wet in the process ) then walk back down the dock and get back in the boat and turn the motor off and Trim it, Get back out of boat and get in truck and pull out.

With Drotto – Drive boat onto the roller trailer, Here click, Trim motor, get out of boat and into truck and pull out.

With a partner and without dratto – Partner drives the boat onto the trailer and I hook the wench strap and wench the boat tight ( Once again often getting my feet wet ) get back into truck and pull out.

With Drotto. Partner drives boat onto the trailer and singles me to pull out. I pull out.

Can the process be done without a drotto? YES. Is is easier without one? NO

again, you are giving an example of a roller trailer, solo with bunks there is simply no advantage, especially at ramps without a dock. Unless of course you are normally backing in too far (which is a common mistake). Not saying to not buy one, just that in certain circumstances its not something that is going to help you.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

We were fishing an MWC tourney at Little Bay de Nok back in the mid 90’s. The DNR was at the ramp telling everyone there if the motor is running when the boat touches the trailer, you’re getting a ticket!

My only comment on the Drotto is – could they make anything look more like a 6 year old made it with an erector set? They need a style tune up for sure.

-J.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you guys get your feet wet loading or unloading with or with out the drotto, I’m going to say your doing it wrong. I have no drotto, 1 boat with bunk, and 1 boat with rollers. Fish by my self or with a kid who can’t drive the truck. Never have wet feet.
    I watch the wet up to the knees guys all the time at the launch and just wonder why.
    But I do want to try one out. Seems like a great idea.

Charles

our feet wet loading or unloading with or with out the drotto, I’m going to say your doing it wrong. I have no drotto, 1 boat with bun

Oh I am not singling out bunk or rollers, I leave mine out while I latch the safety chain and then I cut the motor off.

Rick Z
    Stark MN

I live next to a boat landing. I would say 90-95% of people powerload. Then I hear them cussing when they launch the boat about the landing being sucky.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

99% of the people backing in a boat have no clue how far to put the trailer in the water to load the boat properly. Roller trailers just till the rear rollers wet and let the trailer do the work, bunk trailers back it all the way in to wet the bunks then pull out till 1/2 to3/4 are still wet and drive the boat up. There are You Tube channels dedicated to just watching landings and what people have to do to get there boats on straight when the trailer is so far under the water the boat just floats above it.

Red Eye

This also really depends on the access. They are not created equal. I have 18’ lund on bunks with a drotto. Some accesss are so shallow that my bunks are barely under water. And have to back in so far that the front truck wheels are in water before boat floats off. Mostly from sand being pushed into ramp. Some such as on rainy river drop off so fast that the back of the trailer is deeper than needed before the front gets to where it needs to be.
    I love the drotto. By myself I can back in till i see the boat float. Get in off dock start motor the pull latch and be away without leaning over bow. Same when loading. Back trailer in. Drive on till it clicks step out and pull it out. All without climbing or leaning over the front.
    And on the steep accesss I know the boat is still attached when backing down.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

again, you are giving an example of a roller trailer, solo with bunks there is simply no advantage, especially at ramps without a dock. Unless of course you are normally backing in too far (which is a common mistake). Not saying to not buy one, just that in certain circumstances its not something that is going to help you.

on a bunk trailer you are probably correct. Then again I know some people with bunk trailers that will not pull out of a landing without first hooking their wench strap

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you guys get your feet wet loading or unloading with or with out the drotto, I’m going to say your doing it wrong. I have no drotto, 1 boat with bunk, and 1 boat with rollers. Fish by my self or with a kid who can’t drive the truck. Never have wet feet.
    I watch the wet up to the knees guys all the time at the launch and just wonder why.
    But I do want to try one out. Seems like a great idea.

We had landings around here last year that you had to back up so far into the lake that the front tires on the truck were in the water. Unless you can fly I’d like to see how you are going to get to the winch without getting your feet wet.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.