Done with Mossberg… for good.

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Last January, I picked up a Patriot in 350 Legend for short range “whatever.” I didn’t take it out until a month or so ago and immediately discovered that the high quality magazine was pushing the rounds “primer high,” preventing the rounds from properly feeding into the chamber. I contacted Mossberg to see what they’d do.

First, I had to take pictures of the magazine, then provide the serial number of the gun it belonged to.

The response upon submission was that they have no magazines in stock, but maybe I should disassemble the magazine and check the follower, to see if it had been assembled incorrectly. The follower has two different widths at each end and cannot be inverted. The spring is also designed to fit only one way.

So, I enquired about sending it in to them for repair. Maybe THEY could fix it.

The response was less than thrilling. They want me to send back the entire rifle for complete and proper diagnosis, as they “do not service magazines only,” which means that I won’t have the gun at all while they search for a replacement magazine that does not exist in their inventory at this time! Also, there’s no way to know when more magazines will be produced or available.

I reviewed our communications and requested a justifiable reason to send back the entire rifle. Wouldn’t a wait list and magazine exchange make more sense? Less expense? Less hassle?

I have yet to hear a response for further resolution.

Meanwhile, my Henry Side Gate… no photos, no checking for possible malfunction causes myself, get a provided shipping label free of charge. Warranty at Henry is night and day better than Mossberg’s.

I first bought an ATR100 in .243 back in 2007. Still one of the best shooters, and versatile rifles I’ve ever owned. I’ve taken prairie dogs to deer with it. No issues. I also have a Silver Reserve 28ga, chambered 3″. No issues. Killed many small game and grouse with it. This Patriot likes Hornady American Whitetail in 170gr. So, all is fine, except for the cheap magazine, that Mossberg isn’t standing behind very well.

I’ve announced to Mossberg that I believe I’ll be taking my patron dollars to another provider and there is no response to that either, so if they’re not going to take care of me, I’ll just acquire the magazine when they become available and abandon considerations for any Mossberg product to remain a purchasing option. Apparently, they don’t need me, and I know I don’t them.

I might need another Henry though… a Frontier 22LR with an octagon 24″ threaded barrel!

wkw

Love those Henry’s. Have you been to Boones Guns in Isle,Mn ? They have almost anything you’re looking for but you have to ask someone for assistance. Not very good salesmanship,IMO.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Thank you! Order placed! We’ll see how it goes. Hopefully this unit works, and I’ll be done!

On Gunbroker, I haven’t seen anyone with the 22LR threaded barrel for sale yet, only the larger calibers like .30-30 or 360 Hammer. It’s in their product brochure and on the website so it should just be a matter of time!

Riverrat

The whole rifle is a common request. It always should be the whole rifle anyway so they can check it over. But not surprised by the quality. Selling rifles a while back the 715T or whatever the 22 ar rifle they sell pretty much made up my mind that Mossberg was no bueno. I sent in several rifles for customers and never saw them come back.

CaptainMusky

The whole rifle is a common request.

Yeah I am with you there. I am sure they wanted to make sure that the mag and the gun itself mated properly or something.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Out of box quality has suffered TREMENDOUSLY during this last gun panic. Manufacturers were, it seems, determined to cash in on this one with maximum output of new firearms and all I can say is that it shows.

I’m not going to name names, but I have worked on rifle brands that I NEVER would have dreamed would let a malfunctioning rifle out of their sight much less have had it shipped on to a customer with the obvious issue it had.

Feeding and ejecting issues are what I’ve been helping guys through. No failure to fire, but everything from bad machining of chambers and ramps to burrs left in the chamber after reaming, things have been a bleepshow.

Remember, in many cases, you may still be getting NIB rifles that were made back during the go-go days of the panic. Buyer beware.

The best thing I can say to anyone is when you buy it, get out and shoot it ASAP. Have your ducks in a row so you have a scope / mounts ready, have someone to install the scope, bore sight, etc, and then get out there to the range absolutely as soon as possible.

Stillakid’s experience is typical, the timeline and hassle factor of having to return a gun to the manufacturer for service can be anywhere from a few weeks if you are VERY lucky, to a few months or more. It takes time to work out issues even if the maker is very cooperative and gives good service.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

The whole rifle is a common request. It always should be the whole rifle anyway so they can check it over. But not surprised by the quality. Selling rifles a while back the 715T or whatever the 22 ar rifle they sell pretty much made up my mind that Mossberg was no bueno. I sent in several rifles for customers and never saw them come back.

As noted with the Henry, but that’s not what Mossberg started with, all the way up to asking me to tamper with the magazine itself, and then deciding I should send the whole thing in.
    The problem is 100% the magazine itself. I monkeyed enough to find out if it would feed right with properly aligned rounds, which it does.

My order for the “in stock” replacement has not been confirmed yet, but the day is young! (Kind of… lol)

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I got the email confirming that the magazine customer service said, “they didn’t have” shipped out today. Hoping this one will do better…

duh queen

“……… November 2, 2023 at 6:27 pm
    Last January, I picked up a Patriot in 350 Legend for short range “whatever.” I didn’t take it out until a month or so ago and immediately discovered that the high……….”
    My question is why you waited 10 months?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

“……… November 2, 2023 at 6:27 pm
    Last January, I picked up a Patriot in 350 Legend for short range “whatever.” I didn’t take it out until a month or so ago and immediately discovered that the high……….”
    My question is why you waited 10 months?

For starters, there was over three feet of snow on the ground where I shoot most often. I didn’t feel like triggering a heart attack just walking down the lane to set the target. And it was cold… no need to be uncomfortable… is there? On top of it, I was recovering from a torn MCL and meniscus in my left knee. I’m sure crutches would have made it all better though… really… I’m sure of it.
    By the time spring came, I had over 30 trees fallen and/or damaged from the spring blizzard. That takes a little time, again… not to mention the knee that was taking its sweet time recovering.
    Next thing I knew, I was back to work, which takes me away from home for days at a time and there was still work to catch up on because of delays from my knee.

Bottomline: When you buy a “whatever” gun… it’s not a priority and easily dismissed when the care-o-meter has a broken needle. An indicator that there are still too many luxuries in my life… or more important things to focus on.

Good?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Received the replacement magazine. Everything is working as it should. Mossberg has officially lost a customer.

Brittman

I have only sold off one gun in my life, the rest go into storage to be used again someday. That gun I sold was a Mossberg. Poorest tolerances I have ever seen in a gun. Crap. Mossberg is the prime example of you get what you pay for.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I have only sold off one gun in my life, the rest go into storage to be used again someday. That gun I sold was a Mossberg. Poorest tolerances I have ever seen in a gun. Crap. Mossberg is the prime example of you get what you pay for.

And I knew that going in. That said, the Silver Reserve 28ga and ATR100 .243 have worked flawlessly for me, so I had a little hope that it would suffice. And I’ll probably keep the two listed… I have no reason to get rid of them. I won’t try anything more going forward though. toast

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.