Lab Tips

• SKEREEP
    Red Wing, MN

I’m looking at getting a lab for a family pet. I’m wondering what sorts of things I should be looking for, or looking out for. I know of a litter that was just born and will be taking a look at them in a week or so. This guy is asking 400 for males and 450 for females.

What are the advantages of going through a breeder vs. someones family pet having pups?

How rampant is hip displaysia? Should this be a major concern?

What are some major “red flags” when buying a pup?

I’m looking for a dog that is great with little kids. Is it relevant to know the temperment of both the stud and the female?

Is a dogs temperment a product of it’s environment, or is it partially effected by it’s parents?

Thanks for your help!

Scott

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I’m on my third Black Lab. We have an AKC 5 month old female. They can be wonderful family dogs but take a lot of patience through puppyhood.
    They are big , high energy dogs that must be allowed to run and exercise!! They don’t do well w/o being out on a daily basis.
    All mine have been “chewers”…so have lots of rawhide bones and chew toys available. If you haven’t obedience trained a large breed dog highly recommend it.
    Hip problems are an issue and I would have prefer to get a pup from a breeder with documentation of a line genetically free from Hip & joint problems.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I’m on my third Black Lab. We have an AKC 5 month old female. They can be wonderful family dogs but take a lot of patience through puppyhood.
    They are big , high energy dogs that must be allowed to run and exercise!! They don’t do well w/o being out on a daily basis.
    All mine have been “chewers”…so have lots of rawhide bones and chew toys available. If you haven’t obedience trained a large breed dog highly recommend it.
    Hip problems are an issue and I would have prefer to get a pup from a breeder with documentation of a line genetically free from Hip & joint problems.

kris_brantner
    My river

if you plan on training it for hunting youll want to look at the parents and grandparents for good bloodlines. ie field trials and or hunting expierence . also look for hip displaysia anywhere in the family line. if there is any at all dont get a pup from him. the breeder should spend alot of time with the pups and have a really clean and sanatary area where he keeps them. my breeder had realy good bloodlines and he started playing fetch with a tennis ball with all of his pups at maybe 5 weeks or so. i really dont think that a temper can be bred into a dog. i think its how you raise him when he is little that makes the difference. dont tease him or play games like “tug of war” with him cuz that will cause him to become more agressive. now most of this was if you plan to hunt with him at all. if if he is just a family pet than it dont matter as much what blood lines he or she has as long as they are clean of the hip thing. my $.02

kris_brantner
    My river

if you plan on training it for hunting youll want to look at the parents and grandparents for good bloodlines. ie field trials and or hunting expierence . also look for hip displaysia anywhere in the family line. if there is any at all dont get a pup from him. the breeder should spend alot of time with the pups and have a really clean and sanatary area where he keeps them. my breeder had realy good bloodlines and he started playing fetch with a tennis ball with all of his pups at maybe 5 weeks or so. i really dont think that a temper can be bred into a dog. i think its how you raise him when he is little that makes the difference. dont tease him or play games like “tug of war” with him cuz that will cause him to become more agressive. now most of this was if you plan to hunt with him at all. if if he is just a family pet than it dont matter as much what blood lines he or she has as long as they are clean of the hip thing. my $.02

CROIXBOY2
    Taylors Falls, MN

I know Golden retrivers ar’nt Labs but my 9 year old female golden has the hip problem and I dont wish it on any animal let alone your investment. Our next dog will also be a lab and I know I’ll be more carefull next time Good luck………..

CROIXBOY2
    Taylors Falls, MN

I know Golden retrivers ar’nt Labs but my 9 year old female golden has the hip problem and I dont wish it on any animal let alone your investment. Our next dog will also be a lab and I know I’ll be more carefull next time Good luck………..

SKEREEP
    Red Wing, MN

Thanks guys,

The dog will be a family pet, so I’m not too concerned about it’s hunting ability. I just like the demeanor/personality of labs in general.

How much can I expect to spend? I’ve been on-line and most breeders I’ve seen are charging in excess of $600 for a pup.

I can get a purebred from a private owner for 400-450 but is the savings worth the risk? If the owners dog is akc registered and the stud is too, is there a way I can check for the hip problems myself?

Any recommendations on breeders you have used?
    Thanks again,
    Scott

SKEREEP
    Red Wing, MN

Thanks guys,

The dog will be a family pet, so I’m not too concerned about it’s hunting ability. I just like the demeanor/personality of labs in general.

How much can I expect to spend? I’ve been on-line and most breeders I’ve seen are charging in excess of $600 for a pup.

I can get a purebred from a private owner for 400-450 but is the savings worth the risk? If the owners dog is akc registered and the stud is too, is there a way I can check for the hip problems myself?

Any recommendations on breeders you have used?
    Thanks again,
    Scott

gary_wellman
    South Metro

To be honest with you, if you are just looking for a pet………

I would get a mut!!!

I had a half Lab/ half German Shepard as a kid and that dog was the best dog I’ve ever come across. I had him for 14 years and didn’t have one health problem.

That, and you can get them for FREE!!!

Another point is that you don’t have to worry about in-breeding. Papers can be crossed and mixed. I don’t care what anyone says……….It happens more than what most people are willing to beleive. I have an immediate family member in the Vet business, so I hear alot of these things.

Another option, that I took…….
    I got a 1.5yr old White Lab, w/papers (so what!!), female, spayed, shots, dew-clawed for free.
    The owners (my parents of my daughters class mate) didn’t spend anytime with her, and she needed attention bad!!! Basically, she was still in her “puppy stage”, plus she was spayed prior to her first “season”. This didn’t help her mature.

She is a great dog, and I won’t give her up for any money!!! I’ve had her 2 years now and she is just great.

By the way, I didn’t pay a dime.

There are lots of good dogs too, at the humane society, and even Animal Ark in Hastings.

Alot of these animals are there, because somebody wanted a hunting dog for a family pet and couldn’t handle the “puppy stages” and the hyperness of most typical hunting dogs.

They are good dogs, just need attention.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

To be honest with you, if you are just looking for a pet………

I would get a mut!!!

I had a half Lab/ half German Shepard as a kid and that dog was the best dog I’ve ever come across. I had him for 14 years and didn’t have one health problem.

That, and you can get them for FREE!!!

Another point is that you don’t have to worry about in-breeding. Papers can be crossed and mixed. I don’t care what anyone says……….It happens more than what most people are willing to beleive. I have an immediate family member in the Vet business, so I hear alot of these things.

Another option, that I took…….
    I got a 1.5yr old White Lab, w/papers (so what!!), female, spayed, shots, dew-clawed for free.
    The owners (my parents of my daughters class mate) didn’t spend anytime with her, and she needed attention bad!!! Basically, she was still in her “puppy stage”, plus she was spayed prior to her first “season”. This didn’t help her mature.

She is a great dog, and I won’t give her up for any money!!! I’ve had her 2 years now and she is just great.

By the way, I didn’t pay a dime.

There are lots of good dogs too, at the humane society, and even Animal Ark in Hastings.

Alot of these animals are there, because somebody wanted a hunting dog for a family pet and couldn’t handle the “puppy stages” and the hyperness of most typical hunting dogs.

They are good dogs, just need attention.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!!!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Jonnynic here on the board just had a litter of yellow labs. Don’t know if he’s got any left.If interested let me know and I’ll forward it on.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Jonnynic here on the board just had a litter of yellow labs. Don’t know if he’s got any left.If interested let me know and I’ll forward it on.

SKEREEP
    Red Wing, MN

Chappy,

I’m definately interested. Please have him send me a pm.

Thanks!

Scott

SKEREEP
    Red Wing, MN

Chappy,

I’m definately interested. Please have him send me a pm.

Thanks!

Scott

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.