Dog’s Paws

• burbach
    SE Minnesota

Does anyone have any tricks to keep your dog’s paws from freezing up? I have a spring spaniel, and after a little while out in the field, she develops ice chunks on the bottom of her paws. I can tell that they hurt and bother her. Any ideas on how to minimize this? I have tried keeping the hair clipped on the bottom of her feet. This has helped, but ice still forms.

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

They do have boots for dogs that will help with that but some dogs wont go for having them on there feet. They sell them at places like Cabela’s Bass Pro.

Hope that helps her and you out. Good luck

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

They do have boots for dogs that will help with that but some dogs wont go for having them on there feet. They sell them at places like Cabela’s Bass Pro.

Hope that helps her and you out. Good luck

burbach
    SE Minnesota

No, I tried the boots, but she does not like them. Thanks for the idea though.

burbach
    SE Minnesota

No, I tried the boots, but she does not like them. Thanks for the idea though.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Have you tried to trim all the extra hair out from between the toes? Usually the ice builds up on the hair between the toes and getting rid of the majority of the hair can help quite a bit.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Have you tried to trim all the extra hair out from between the toes? Usually the ice builds up on the hair between the toes and getting rid of the majority of the hair can help quite a bit.

Jira

Dr. Holst is right-on.

My golden gets big time ice pack in his paws when I take him ice fishing and haven’t cut his hair between his toes. Once the hair is trimmed the ice can’t pack and hold in there and he’s a happy camper.

Jira

Dr. Holst is right-on.

My golden gets big time ice pack in his paws when I take him ice fishing and haven’t cut his hair between his toes. Once the hair is trimmed the ice can’t pack and hold in there and he’s a happy camper.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I ALSO HAVE A SPRINGER AND THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM, CUTTING THE HAIR DOES HELP ALOT, BUT I ALSO BOUGHT SOME BOOTS FOR HER (MAKE SURE THEY ARE A GOOD TIGHT FIT) AND SHE DID NOT LIKE THEM TO MUCH TO BEGIN WITH, BUT I PUT THEM ON HER FEET AND THEN GET HER TO DO SOME FETCHING OR WE GO FOR A FAST WALK AND SHE GETS USE TO THEM, AND THIS HAPPENS EACH YEAR, UNTILL SHE GETS HER MIND ON SOMETHING ELSE.

AND THOSE SPRINGERS DO HAVE A MIND

HOPE THIS HELPS

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I ALSO HAVE A SPRINGER AND THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM, CUTTING THE HAIR DOES HELP ALOT, BUT I ALSO BOUGHT SOME BOOTS FOR HER (MAKE SURE THEY ARE A GOOD TIGHT FIT) AND SHE DID NOT LIKE THEM TO MUCH TO BEGIN WITH, BUT I PUT THEM ON HER FEET AND THEN GET HER TO DO SOME FETCHING OR WE GO FOR A FAST WALK AND SHE GETS USE TO THEM, AND THIS HAPPENS EACH YEAR, UNTILL SHE GETS HER MIND ON SOMETHING ELSE.

AND THOSE SPRINGERS DO HAVE A MIND

HOPE THIS HELPS

big water
    Andover ,MN

here is a good idea throw that dog away and get a new one. no i’m just kidding work the boots in the house outside she will get used to them

big water
    Andover ,MN

here is a good idea throw that dog away and get a new one. no i’m just kidding work the boots in the house outside she will get used to them

corey_waller
    hastings mn

TRY THIS TRIM THE HAIR LIKE YOU HAVE BEEN THEN PUT SOME VASALINE ON THE PAWS. OIL AND WATER DONT MIX!!! YOU MAY NEED TO REAPPLY A COUPLE OF TIMES SO KEEP THE BOTTLE IN YOUR PACK. BUT IT WORKS

corey_waller
    hastings mn

TRY THIS TRIM THE HAIR LIKE YOU HAVE BEEN THEN PUT SOME VASALINE ON THE PAWS. OIL AND WATER DONT MIX!!! YOU MAY NEED TO REAPPLY A COUPLE OF TIMES SO KEEP THE BOTTLE IN YOUR PACK. BUT IT WORKS

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I see the ads top-right above this post are showing some products to protect dog’s feet as well. I haven’t checked them out but they might be worth a look.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I see the ads top-right above this post are showing some products to protect dog’s feet as well. I haven’t checked them out but they might be worth a look.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.