Golden Retrivers

• bnm

I just got a Golden Retriver and I was just wondering how well Golden Retrivers hunt? If I can get some in put I wood like it.
    Thanks

jhalfen

My golden has a great nose and has taken to finding birds in the fields and the woods quite well. Excellent at finding and retrieving downed game. Exceptionally enthusiastic about going into the field. Absolutely loves the water. If you are hoping to have a pointing dog, you’ll be disappointed, but if you want a flusher who will take direction well and hunt all day, then you’ll be quite satisfied.

jhalfen

My golden has a great nose and has taken to finding birds in the fields and the woods quite well. Excellent at finding and retrieving downed game. Exceptionally enthusiastic about going into the field. Absolutely loves the water. If you are hoping to have a pointing dog, you’ll be disappointed, but if you want a flusher who will take direction well and hunt all day, then you’ll be quite satisfied.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

If you can’t get a lab, they’re OK.

Actually, I’ve known a few very good hunting goldens in my time. Excellent noses. They just seem to be a little more dependent on good breeding than a lab. In other owrds, there’s more “house and show” dogs out there in the golden lines IMO.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

If you can’t get a lab, they’re OK.

Actually, I’ve known a few very good hunting goldens in my time. Excellent noses. They just seem to be a little more dependent on good breeding than a lab. In other owrds, there’s more “house and show” dogs out there in the golden lines IMO.

bnm

Are they a hole lot different than a lab? I always thought that a golden Retriver is just about the same as a lab.

bnm

Are they a hole lot different than a lab? I always thought that a golden Retriver is just about the same as a lab.

JohnDennis

Golden retrievers? Only had one but what a great dog. He is now 131/2. This particular dog won’t retrieve a bird worth a damn, but you ought to see him go after a fish. In his younger days it was all I could do to keep him out of the net when netting a fish. Keep him in the boat? No Way! A few of you may have seen him watching my line. Many have commented on his enthusiasm. Trout fishing he stands on his hind legs in the river along side me and watches the fly line until it comes tight, then the chase is on. Only one fish per pool! All in all he,s been the best I could ask for and really fun to fish with most of the time. I really did’nt work with him as far as the hunting so who knows?

JohnDennis

Golden retrievers? Only had one but what a great dog. He is now 131/2. This particular dog won’t retrieve a bird worth a damn, but you ought to see him go after a fish. In his younger days it was all I could do to keep him out of the net when netting a fish. Keep him in the boat? No Way! A few of you may have seen him watching my line. Many have commented on his enthusiasm. Trout fishing he stands on his hind legs in the river along side me and watches the fly line until it comes tight, then the chase is on. Only one fish per pool! All in all he,s been the best I could ask for and really fun to fish with most of the time. I really did’nt work with him as far as the hunting so who knows?

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

There are excellent individual dogs in every hunting breed.Lab guys love their lab’s,a setter guy like me love’s his setters,it goes on and on.What I have always like to do is hunt with other breeds a few times a year to see what they offer that is better than your breed choice.
    To your Golden question.My family has a 4 1/2 male Golden that we waterfowl and upland hunt with.He is no where near the caliber of hunting dog my setters are.But he is the best family dog that we have ever owned plus we get to take him out hunting and he does well there also.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

There are excellent individual dogs in every hunting breed.Lab guys love their lab’s,a setter guy like me love’s his setters,it goes on and on.What I have always like to do is hunt with other breeds a few times a year to see what they offer that is better than your breed choice.
    To your Golden question.My family has a 4 1/2 male Golden that we waterfowl and upland hunt with.He is no where near the caliber of hunting dog my setters are.But he is the best family dog that we have ever owned plus we get to take him out hunting and he does well there also.
    Ryan Hale

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have had a Golden since I was 10 years old. For the first five or six years these dogs have a ton of energy, but after that it seems like they would rather follow you throught the field. This is not every Golden Retriever, just mine. All I have to say is keep away from the burrs. That hair is like glue when it comes to burrs. Make sure you send your buddies shorthair into the burrs and keep the Golden in the open field. As for the water, my dog at 11 still goes nuts when she sees water. Whether its a puddle in the driveway or an ocean, she has to be in it. They are awesome family dogs. Wait them out past the puppy stage and you will never have a problem with them again. My cousin bought one and just couldn’t put up with the energy of the young pup. I wish I could have taken it because in another year he would have been perfect. Enough of my rambling. Keep your pup in shape and make sure you get him/her into some birds and you should be fine.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have had a Golden since I was 10 years old. For the first five or six years these dogs have a ton of energy, but after that it seems like they would rather follow you throught the field. This is not every Golden Retriever, just mine. All I have to say is keep away from the burrs. That hair is like glue when it comes to burrs. Make sure you send your buddies shorthair into the burrs and keep the Golden in the open field. As for the water, my dog at 11 still goes nuts when she sees water. Whether its a puddle in the driveway or an ocean, she has to be in it. They are awesome family dogs. Wait them out past the puppy stage and you will never have a problem with them again. My cousin bought one and just couldn’t put up with the energy of the young pup. I wish I could have taken it because in another year he would have been perfect. Enough of my rambling. Keep your pup in shape and make sure you get him/her into some birds and you should be fine.

bnm

Thanks,
    that is what I needed. This is my first time training a dog and it seem like all I do is trap pigeons for my dog to flush. I still need a little help but it will come. I will get her to work the feild next year. From what I here the lab are a lot faster than a lab when working the ground but can a golden learn from a lab when working the the field?????? I am hoping.

bnm

Thanks,
    that is what I needed. This is my first time training a dog and it seem like all I do is trap pigeons for my dog to flush. I still need a little help but it will come. I will get her to work the feild next year. From what I here the lab are a lot faster than a lab when working the ground but can a golden learn from a lab when working the the field?????? I am hoping.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My golden is 1.5 years and she is really shining on the pheasants this year. Very good in water and I train her in water often even though I don’t duck hunt. She would be a very good duck dog. Goldens aren’t as dependable a hunting choice as others due to reasons above. My last one was a dud and I’ve seen some out there that look more a barrel than a hunting dog. Mine is lean and has the instinct. I consider my self lucky to have gotten those traits. You just have to look real hard when making the choice.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My golden is 1.5 years and she is really shining on the pheasants this year. Very good in water and I train her in water often even though I don’t duck hunt. She would be a very good duck dog. Goldens aren’t as dependable a hunting choice as others due to reasons above. My last one was a dud and I’ve seen some out there that look more a barrel than a hunting dog. Mine is lean and has the instinct. I consider my self lucky to have gotten those traits. You just have to look real hard when making the choice.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Mike that is an awesome looking golden, does she point?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Mike that is an awesome looking golden, does she point?

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Mike,excellent shot of your female Golden.They sure take great pics!!!
    Here is Tucker fishing with Cole this year.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Mike,excellent shot of your female Golden.They sure take great pics!!!
    Here is Tucker fishing with Cole this year.
    Ryan Hale

aprock
    Kingsley, Iowa

Ryan,

So your Tucker is a “Fishin’ Dog” too? I can’t take my Tuckwer fishing. He jumps in the water and tangles your lines. That’d be all I need – him getting a hook in hisself. If you catch one he wants to eat it. Goes nuts like you got a fluttering quail on the end of your line!

Tony

aprock
    Kingsley, Iowa

Ryan,

So your Tucker is a “Fishin’ Dog” too? I can’t take my Tuckwer fishing. He jumps in the water and tangles your lines. That’d be all I need – him getting a hook in hisself. If you catch one he wants to eat it. Goes nuts like you got a fluttering quail on the end of your line!

Tony

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

No she doesn’t point. Works birds like a lab. Gangbusters. But she works close and pretty slow.

I’m afraid to take her in the boat because of the hooks everywhere. I often joke about people with their dogs but the truth is I can see where the company would be nice when I go alone. I would probably stay out longer. I’m just starting to take her everywhere in the truck and she digs it but I like to keep a spotless vehicle and the hair is a problem. She’s turning out to be a pretty remarkable dog. I hope she’s around for a long time. Unfortunately she is fixed so if she does turn out to be awsome the lineage stops with her. It was one of the terms of sale if I didn’t pursue field trial, which I am not.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

No she doesn’t point. Works birds like a lab. Gangbusters. But she works close and pretty slow.

I’m afraid to take her in the boat because of the hooks everywhere. I often joke about people with their dogs but the truth is I can see where the company would be nice when I go alone. I would probably stay out longer. I’m just starting to take her everywhere in the truck and she digs it but I like to keep a spotless vehicle and the hair is a problem. She’s turning out to be a pretty remarkable dog. I hope she’s around for a long time. Unfortunately she is fixed so if she does turn out to be awsome the lineage stops with her. It was one of the terms of sale if I didn’t pursue field trial, which I am not.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’m a big golden fan and have had two that were phenominal duck and pheasant dogs. I like the temperment of goldens better than that of labs, personally.

I totally agree that getting a golden for hunting can be a crap-shoot. Breeding is everything. There is a breeder called “Top Brass” that focuses on field goldens: http://www.topbrass-retrievers.com/story.htm

John

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’m a big golden fan and have had two that were phenominal duck and pheasant dogs. I like the temperment of goldens better than that of labs, personally.

I totally agree that getting a golden for hunting can be a crap-shoot. Breeding is everything. There is a breeder called “Top Brass” that focuses on field goldens: http://www.topbrass-retrievers.com/story.htm

John

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Beav. I have had 2 Goldens.My first was a awesome all around dog.She would hunt pheseants like nobody’s business.Awesome at duck hunting,even a pretty good goose dog.Don’t be afraid to take them where ever you go.They love to travel.As far as disciplin,both of mine all you have to do is raise your voice.They are so willing to please that it takes nothing to have them listen.As far as the burrs go,spray the dog with PAM cooking spray before heading in the field.The burrs come right out with a brush.I also have a lab,I will always have one of each!

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Beav. I have had 2 Goldens.My first was a awesome all around dog.She would hunt pheseants like nobody’s business.Awesome at duck hunting,even a pretty good goose dog.Don’t be afraid to take them where ever you go.They love to travel.As far as disciplin,both of mine all you have to do is raise your voice.They are so willing to please that it takes nothing to have them listen.As far as the burrs go,spray the dog with PAM cooking spray before heading in the field.The burrs come right out with a brush.I also have a lab,I will always have one of each!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

My first hunting partner was a golden. I had her for 13 years before I was forced to say good bye. She was a great all around dog considering she had no training. My mom got one here about 6 years ago, great pet, but not a hunter. Deathly scared of guns, she ended up dieing at 2 years old, out of the blue. My point, really check into the bloodlines before buying. It will make the experience much more pleasurable.

John

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.