Dog Fish

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Throw a frog in enough slop and you’ll catch one sooner or later. They put up a great fight. Have caught a few in bass tournaments that I thought were going to be tournament winning bass only to be very disappointed. jester

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I thought snakeheads were capable of breathing air along with alligator gar and some others.

You might be right. Well played

Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

I thought snakeheads were capable of breathing air along with alligator gar and some others.

Would you say this is a snakehead or a dogfish?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180621_073016.jpg

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Point of interest I find cool. Dogfish spawn in areas as walleye do. Dogfish have pods of spawn that are many in count. Now dogfish are very protective of the spawn.
    Being Dogfish spawn in the same areas as walleye its coman to see walleye spawn intermixed with Dogfish being protected within the pod.
    DOGFISH GOOD!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dusty Gesinger wrote:</div>

is my ex wife a choice. devil rotflol

catmando
    wis

They do put up a tough fight and knowing you are going to have to unhook them. You unhook them and then they look back you and they are smiling at you. that’s creepy!!!

That’s good for one belly laugh.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’d say Heineken.

rmartin
    United States

Just looking at the teeth, I would say it is not a dogfish.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Bowfin are great.
    Cannon lake by Faribault has a great population.
    Spring look shallow with cut bait. They love cut bait.

Where cannon flows into the lake is a great area. Walleye opener time-frame. They’re pretty during spawn too!

Have caught as many as 25 in a day, but you’ll miss twice that because of their super hard mouths!!

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

They don’t seem to be common in all lakes, like Perch or Pike or Sunfish. I’ve been vacationing around the Aitkin area for over 30 years, and those lakes hold healthy populations. I’ve had them hit flies, crankbaits, and spinner baits. They put up a tremendous fight, great fun.

S.R.

We have property on the east side of Aitkin Co and just about every lake I’ve fished growing up has some bowfin in them. Even the tiny glacial pothole lakes.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

FBRM, I was talking to Larry Smith, a guide in central wi a few years ago. He was telling me a 5 to 9″ dog fish was his go to bait for flats.

I’ve always wanted to try them but I would have to catch them on the Vermilion or Miss to be able to use them. Bullies and/or suckers are always more handy.

watisituya
    North Metro

Go Bow fishing, you will see a a lot in your lake after dark with lights.

JoeMX1825
    MN

“Today’s Angler” channel on youtube have been huge fans of Dogfish for years, they routinely film shows trying to break the WI record…good stuff although MN has much bigger dogfish than WI does…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

We have property on the east side of Aitkin Co and just about every lake I’ve fished growing up has some bowfin in them. Even the tiny glacial pothole lakes.

X2. I’ve had my heat broken many times walleye fishing on Ripple Lake.

My cousin and I were about 12 years old messing around on the dock catching small panfish when we hooked into a doggie. The screaming and yelling that ensued was followed by howling and barking all the way back to the cabin.

Seems like just about everyone has a memorable dogfish story.

catmando
    wis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tegg wrote:</div>

X2. I’ve had my heat broken many times walleye fishing on Ripple Lake.

My cousin and I were about 12 years old messing around on the dock catching small panfish when we hooked into a doggie. The screaming and yelling that ensued was followed by howling and barking all the way back to the cabin.

Seems like just about everyone has a memorable dogfish story.

Not me, I fished lakes and river that has dogfish in it, this has been fun reading. I think I will go on a Dogfish quest this spring.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>kirk charipar wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>kirk charipar wrote:</div>

I’d say Heineken.

I’d say Dogfish Head

Attachments:
    1. dogfishhead.jpg

outdoorguy
    Minnesota

This is crazy! I was just thinking about a trip I took about 20 yrs ago in Michigan on the west side of the state by Ludington and then came across this post. We went targeting big Northern and Bowfin in the backwater channels of Lake Michigan. We caught a few really nice ones and man do I remember the fight! My buddy caught one that he put in for state record qualifying but it just missed. It was a great fish and weekend! Landed some real nice Northern too but not the big ones we were hoping for but we did have several mangled lures to show off lol! Great memories for sure!

JoeMX1825
    MN

My biggest dogfish came when I was about 10 years old on a metro lake, I was fishing off my dock for panfish and left my line out in the water, went to play and came back to the dock an hour later and no bobber… reeled in a 30″+ Dogfish and pulled the line out of it’s mouth and there was a 6″ Perch still on my hook, the dogfish ate the perch. That fish had to be close to the state record as in the picture I have holding it the fish was about as long as I was…I never weighed or measured it…

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Funny, we have a dogfish contest on the Friday before opener at the resort at ML. The channel at the Wharf holds many a dog fish that time of year. Great way to warm up for the season.

IBPhishin

I am going to pile on the dog fish destroying gear. A few years ago, I was fishing a lake near princeton that I had caught some nice walleyes on before. 5 minutes on the water, I thought I hooked into another big one. I saw the belly flash about 8′ down and knew it was big. At this point I thought I was going to break the 30″ walleye mark. Just about the time I was thinking that, my rod snapped in half. So I dropped the rod and hand-lined this thing in and got it in the boat. My wife looked at me as said, “what the hell is that?” 28″ dogfish snapped my rod clear in half and bent my hook almost straight. No idea how I landed that thing but it is the only one I have ever caught and I don’t think I will ever forget that!

tonys

skull shape looks spot on for Bowfin (Dogfish, Amia calva). Snakeheads have longer, flatter, narrower skulls with the eyes further forward and more on top of the head.

The Anal fin is easiest place to look for a definitive ID (long on a snake, short on a bowfin)

tonys

double post

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

If the backwaters of the Mississippi flood in the spring(lol if?), a lot of the flooded areas are great for dogfish!

I fished a flooded park one year, casting bucktails for northern in the grass while literally standing in a playground, it was awesome. Caught like 4 dogfish and 1 northern, and those dogfish fight and are a mess to unhook sometimes.

Same place I fished at night closer to the actual channel where there was some slight current. It was pretty dark and surreal, fishing in a flooded parking lot, but it was a blast! Caught sheephead, walleye, bass, northern, carp and doggies.

Creepiest thing though, standing there in waders at about 2 in the morning, take a step backwards and felt something brush my leg. Turn around and there were 3 dogfish just sitting there, using my legs as a current break. Or were they plotting how to take me down? You decide.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Or were they plotting how to take me down? You decide.

I wouldn’t put it past them, they are a mean fish with no fear whatsoever…had several snorkeling experiences with them getting aggressive if you invade their space…

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

When I was a kid I used to have nightmares about hooking into gigantic ones.

D E

My oldest loves em for some reason. He usually catches 2-3 a season off our dock. Biggest last year was a 34”. Nasty critters if you ask me, and they do “bark” when you’re unhooking em.

hnd

miss backwaters are full of them. we don’t often target them but i’ve seen 10lbers here while bass fishing.

gonefishin

As a kid we used to catch bowfin down on the Faribault area lakes while fishing for sunfish with jig sticks. They sure were a blast.

I wasn’t with but when I was an adult my father caught the state record at that time of 10 lbs 15 oz 31″ from French Lake 8/26/1992. He was fishing for sunfish and I believe I have the pole he used mounted on the wall at our cabin. It was a casting rod cut down to about 3′. His favorite way to fish was to jig over the side of the boat and usually used 2-4# test mono so you can about imagine the effort it took to pull that one in.

I’ll be at the cabin next weekend and will try to remember to take a photo of the rod. Pretty amazing to catch that fish on the pole he used.

Bummer we don’t have the fish, the taxidermist never finished the mount and basically destroyed it.

FryDog62

Come up to brained, I can name a few lakes that have a ton of them in.

My friend and I had been fishing 50 years each in Minnesota and had never caught or even seen a Dogfish before…

…until he caught this one on Gull Lake near Brainerd last year.

Thing bled like dark motor oil all over the back of my boat. Took an hour using a high pressure hose to get it out..

Smelled like a wet dog – lol

Attachments:
    1. ECB381C4-9A3B-442F-9AC3-03841475EDAA.jpeg

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I’ve hooked into them out of a kayak tossing crank baits shallow for bass on the Wisconsin river below the Dells. The fight is entertaining but dealing with them things and trebles in the kayak in current sucks. I’d prefer not to catch another one :). Sort of freaked me out the first time as I had never seen one before….

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.