Doesn’t look good Rainyn River

• shefland
    Walker

excuse my keyboard mistake Rainy River

curleytail

I’m selfishly glad I didn’t have plans to fish the Rainy River this spring, but feel for those that had plans that can’t make the trip now.

Regardless of whether it’s the right thing to do or not, it would be disappointing no doubt. Heck, I’m disappointed to most likely not be able to watch a 2020 IDO episode on either Rainy or Green Bay this spring! But we’ll all live through it.

I am a little surprised though that maybe they didn’t just close local hotels and resorts to anything but essential travel. That would have at least allowed locals and a few cabin owners fish the resource they have and still keep a significant number of people away. I understand that isn’t a perfect solution either, but nothing is.

If I was a local that lived there it would be a difficult pill to swallow. Many put up with fewer resources and likely lower pay to live in places like that due to the recreation they are able to enjoy. Take that away at a pretty key time of year and it would be tough!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I would of agreed with a lot of the statements here if I hadn’t started reading all the Facebook comments on these closures. Covid or not it seems a majority of locals up there want the ramps, river, entire fishing season closed. Sounds like the county even had a discussion about writing the governor to see if they could get the entire fishing season closed or postponed. There is no bones about it that these people do not want outsiders in their county.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Just stay put, unless you are lucky enough to live near trout streams.

Although the Brule opener is now a no go

jonesry09

I would of agreed with a lot of the statements here if I hadn’t started reading all the Facebook comments on these closures. Covid or not it seems a majority of locals up there want the ramps, river, entire fishing season closed. Sounds like the county even had a discussion about writing the governor to see if they could get the entire fishing season closed or postponed. There is no bones about it that these people do not want outsiders in their county.

I’m in the same boat. Selfishly I always look forward to this trip. However, if the locals are willing to close a major contributor to their economy to keep people out then it is what it is. They are taking this serious and I respect them for that.

Hopefully we get through this and can fill the resorts soon.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Didn’t read the whole thread but I think I am astonished how some care about themselves to catch a fish over the health of others. Then they preach fishing practicing to save the fish population.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mike W wrote:</div>

I’m in the same boat. Selfishly I always look forward to this trip. However, if the locals are willing to close a major contributor to their economy to keep people out then it is what it is. They are taking this serious and I respect them for that.

I just hope we haven’t seen our last spring on the Rainy river. Given a taste of what the majority want up there you better believe they will grasp for any reason to keep it shut down. No walleye. No sturgeon. This has been a real eye opener of what is wanted on the border water.

Why would you feel selfish about wanting to fish a body of water you have every right to fish. You pay your taxes, pay for a fishing license, guessing a resident of MN. Its yours to fish.

blank

I would take the Facebook comments from some locals with a grain of salt. As we all know, it’s easy to hide behind a screen and keyboard and talk big. Anyone who has been up there knows how much of a boom it is to the local economy, and that’s tough to ignore for the powers that be up there.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Didn’t read the whole thread but I think I am astonished how some care about themselves to catch a fish over the health of others. Then they preach fishing practicing to save the fish population.

First of all, I’ll preface my observation here by saying I had/have no immediate plan to fish up there, so I have no “fish” in this race. razz

So, I do see the side of anglers questioning the ultimate or possibly ulterior motives here with this action.

They (the anglers/visitors) believe it’s not only possible, but very likely that anglers can launch their boats and go out and fish the river…all the while being fully compliant in the social distancing protocols.

I suppose this is just my opinion, however I am also getting more vibes just as what Mike W is referring too.

This “outsiders not welcome” attitude has also now filtered down to the Mille Lacs community. sad

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jonesry09 wrote:</div>

I just hope we haven’t seen our last spring on the Rainy river. Given a taste of what the majority want up there you better believe they will grasp for any reason to keep it shut down. No walleye. No sturgeon. This has been a real eye opener of what is wanted on the border water.

Why would you feel selfish about wanting to fish a body of water you have every right to fish. You pay your taxes, pay for a fishing license, guessing a resident of MN. Its yours to fish.

I don’t think you have to worry whatsoever about that.

This whole situation stinks for those who planned on going to the Rainy. However when you put it into perspective, it’s a minor inconvenience considering everything going on.

We currently have: people dying, people with seriously ill loved ones, a massive general fear of the unknown, people getting laid off, small businesses that may never survive, people losing huge portions of their 401k and other investments, medical professionals without the equipment they need to protect themselves, funerals without loved ones present, weddings postponed, kids missing out on their last senior sports season, prom, and graduation that they will never get to “do again”…it’s an endless list.

To me, one weekend or a few days fishing the Rainy River falls firmly behind anything on the above list in importance. The sun will still rise if people have to wait or go somewhere else to catch walleyes for a short time period.

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

The purpose is to try to get supplies, personnel, and a place ready before the outbreak. They are trying to stall that! It’s obvious that the outbreaks are in the more populated areas, so I see where they are coming from. So having Joe Blow coming from Ramsey, NYC,or anywhere thinks he’s doing his part by not spreading it in his home area by leaving it behind. Then carrying it to a close knit community not ready for it. This suppose to be ok?
    Had family come up from an infected area wanting to fish. Told him to go home. It’s not here YET, that we know.
    Remember ANYONE can carry it! Even Senators, cashiers,doctors. It sucks but it is the facts!

mrsmike

Tough titties you big babies. They are trying to protect themselves.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishinfreaks wrote:</div>
    Here’s something to think about. The virus IS already there. There were enough people coming through since December, and it’s been here that long.

Question – are these launches DNR funded? So they’re paid for with yours and my tax dollars. How do the locals get to close it then?

Isolation will still flatten the infection curve and reduce the pressure on local hospitals if it gets to that point.
    I believe the closed boat ramps are county and city but I have a question for you. If they are DNR funded or not really makes no difference. You’d just selfishly ignore the wishes of the community around the Rainy River and go fishing? They’re trying to protect themselves.

I can come and go without ever entering.s business up north, filling up with gas, or exposing anyone unless they touch my boat, truck, or gear. If they don’t want people coming in to town, set a road block and have a copy check driver’s licenses to see who is local.

Eric duffy

Only county owned access is to be closed. State owned will remain open until further notice. It’s a silly train or thought honestly to think that this will stop the spread. The virus is here and isn’t going away anytime in at least the next 18months. If people would just learn to wash their hands and keep their distance it would be a non issue. Fishermen coming there are just as likely to bring it there as all the older people are of taking it back home with them from doctors appointments in the cities, etc. It is going to run its course either way. I do believe flattening the curve is a good plan in theory but unless the are stops all travel leaving the area, they shouldn’t try to limit traffic coming to the area either as it is just as counterproductive in slowing the spread. This is just the first round. If it mutates it will go away and come back, much like Spanish flu did, and each of the two times it came back it came back waaay more deadly than the last.

curleytail

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jonesry09 wrote:</div>

Is it really that ALL of the locals want this, or just that the ones that don’t want fishing to continue are the ones yelling the loudest? I’d wonder if the one’s voicing their opinions on Facebook are also the ones that don’t realize that if tourism dollars stop, their jobs and town will likely dry up and go away too. I used to live in Hayward. Even though tourist season was annoying and I was glad when it was over, I also understood that’s what kept the area floating, so tourism was a necessary inconvenience.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t have a fish in this game because I did not intend to fish the Rainy this spring, but here is my thought: you should be able to fish any public body of water provided that you avoid other people. That means no interacting with someone to stay at a resort, hotel, or lodge. You can’t go into a bar or restaurant to dine in. You can’t go into a bait shop and interact with someone to buy live bait. If you abide by all these rules, buy gas at the pump, etc, then you should be able to fish. And I believe that is what the Governor’s order indicates too.

Ice Cap

As I said earlier it’s not unthinkable for the virus to be used as a tool to accomplish other things. This virus dove tails nicely with a larger than you may think local contingent who have been voicing for a long time their concerns of the amount of fishing pressure on the area year around.
    They fear Mille Lacs regs coming to LOTW and to the locals it seems more of a reality than someone who lives a couple hundred miles away.

I read awhile back where some of the resort owners up there suggested a permit lottery system for wheelhouses.
    Of course they are trying to protect their health resources from the virus and if a side effect of that is to keep fisherman out even if only temporary well that’s a sacrifice many up there are more than willing to take.

folke2000

We had to cancel our trip this spring. Does it suck, yes….but I also understand that from a public health and medical resource perspective communities are trying to protect themselves due to their very limited medical resources, and I can respect that. I’m sure that there are those up there that are worried about the resource and are very vocal about it, but every time I have been there people have been very nice and appreciative of having us there spending money.

My thought is now is not the time to demonize each other, and assume ulterior motives. People are plainly scared and trying to cope with their fears. I think we can collectively help calm each other’s fears and get through this dang virus together.

I wish everyone well, and PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS!

Karry Kyllo

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Karry Kyllo wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishinfreaks wrote:</div>
    Here’s something to think about. The virus IS already there. There were enough people coming through since December, and it’s been here that long.

Question – are these launches DNR funded? So they’re paid for with yours and my tax dollars. How do the locals get to close it then?

Isolation will still flatten the infection curve and reduce the pressure on local hospitals if it gets to that point.
    I believe the closed boat ramps are county and city but I have a question for you. If they are DNR funded or not really makes no difference. You’d just selfishly ignore the wishes of the community around the Rainy River and go fishing? They’re trying to protect themselves.

I can come and go without ever entering.s business up north, filling up with gas, or exposing anyone unless they touch my boat, truck, or gear. If they don’t want people coming in to town, set a road block and have a copy check driver’s licenses to see who is local.

Nobody will stop you if you find a ramp to launch your boat onto the river so just go for it and then you can beat your chest when you catch your first walleye. You obviously don’t care about anyone but yourself.

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

Hmmm. Wonder how many people practiced social distancing and washing still got it? Thing is you might be careful but what about the next guy?
    If someone needs to take a dump where are they going. Plastic bag and leave it like some do on the ice?
    Complaining about taxes,fees and licenses is silly! What about people paying for work clothes, boots, trucks, insurances, and not being able to use them???
    SELFISH AND IT’S ONLY YOU THAT MATTERS!

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.