Doesn’t look good Rainyn River

• jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Is the Rainy a international waterway? If it is I believe the Feds would have jurisdiction.

The county would have no rights to keep people off the river, however they do have the right to control their property
    Ie/access’s ramps.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

What about local residents that want to fish?

If they have private access to the river there will be people on the river.

They can close public access, they can’t close private access.

If someone opens private access to the river for a fee I don’t think the county could stop that.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

So the justification for closing accesses is what?

If there’s an access open, that’ll only compound the problem of congregating people.

They do not want thousands of people traveling to their small community together as a means of lessening the probability of the virus getting there. Now people can agree or disagree with that logic (I’m still on the fence), but it doesn’t mean people should play dumb as to the “why” that they’re doing it. Also, I do agree that there are probably some local people who may enjoy NOT having the traffic on the river and being able to feel like they are protecting “their” resource. Regardless of motive, this is going to fall well within their rights to do so.

Life will go on, even if some people are not able to fish the Rainy, or as this post calls it “the Rainyn River.”

basseyes

Franz Jevne is a state park, the county can’t shut that down can they?

So people that go, will all be forced into fewer accesses, being totally counterproductive to what they are trying to accomplish.

That’s brilliant governing there.

basseyes

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>basseyes wrote:</div>

If someone opens private access to the river for a fee I don’t think the county could stop that.

They could basically stop it by implementing parking regulations.

Deuces

Idk, I hope us fisherman can come together and do what we have to do to not jeopardize small communities.

Anyone else find it sad they have to close them? Shouldn’t people just decide for themselves this isn’t a good idea and stay home?

Pool 2, red wing, all options you can hop in your vehicle, drive from a-b and fish, go back b-a.

Hope they find a way to shut every dam piece of it down, good luck to those healthcare workers up there in 2 weeks.

blackbay
    mn

Why does everyone think there is an ulterior motive? Could it be because everyone knows the history surrounding the fishery? Where the accesses turn into a side show with people parking for miles on both sides of the road in each direction, guys sometimes fighting, roads being blocked? In a normal year the biggest issue is having issues with traffic. This year it’s the potential for thousands of people traveling from all over and congregating around accesses and trying to find places to stay. Plus the additional stresses on already thin grocery shelves and the further spread of CV where there isn’t a case. Neither the Baudette or IFalls hospitals have much capacity for the potential need for medical intervention. You’d be surprised how fast the flu goes through town. CV spreads faster and I know Ifalls has a older population as does Fort Frances just across the border.

I guarantee they understand the ramifications to the local economy. The action isn’t being taken lightly. This time of year is the downtime for tourism and to be able to have people come to up fishing and spend money is huge. Yea there are people who don’t like influx of fishermen, but they are the exception.

I’ve seen people posting, esp on a certain person’s FB guide site, how bad the idea is, how it’s just hurting business. Then in the same breath say they claim they will start going someplace else from now on. So they in fact are the ones openly admitting they are going to hurt the same small businesses they claim to support.

FWIW if the County wants to close their accesses they can, as long as it’s County property. The State can’t do anything about it. Oh and the river is still open to fish. You just may not be able to launch through county property.

Attachments:
    1. breaking-news-1.png

basseyes

Manitou Rapids, Vidas and Franz Jevne are state owned off onx. So those will be open for the general public to use hopefully?

Pelland shows it’s privately owned, so that’ll be at the owners discretion I’d assume.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

State or privately owned access might remain open, but I wouldn’t plan on resorts, hotels, or other lodging locations to be. Which means you will have to either sleep in your truck or drive home.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>basseyes wrote:</div>

That can be quickly squashed by requiring a conditional use permit.

Karry Kyllo

State or privately owned access might remain open, but I wouldn’t plan on resorts, hotels, or other lodging locations to be. Which means you will have to either sleep in your truck or drive home.

Maybe I missed it, but when did resorts(other than bars and dine in restaurants) and motels get shut down?

blank

Adrian’s is closed….

Adrian’s Resort
    March 22 at 12:46 PM ·
    We thank all of our customers for a great winter. Things have changed a lot in the last week. Although the ice may still be good it is time for us to close until further notice. If we can help slow the spread of the Coronavirus it will save lives. It is time to stay close to home and not unknowingly spread the virus around. We will eventually beat this virus. Everybody stay safe and thanks again for your patronage.

jon amundson

I am currently fishing river in aboat. Could use all the help. Please contact the Dnrcommishioner for state of mn. I have emailed and believe they are not aware. Other states are allowing free access and fishing.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Maybe I missed it, but when did resorts(other than bars and dine in restaurants) and motels get shut down?

They didn’t get shut down, but quite a few have posted on their Facebook pages that they decided to close for now.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Attachments:
    1. 3tvhae.jpg

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

While we assume that everyone knows about the closures, I hope the MN DOT puts a few signs en-route to clarify that the accesses are closed.

HRG

grizzly
    nebraska

So if the river would open up clear down to wheelers point would we be able to use that boat ramp or am I missing something

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think Wheelers would be covered under lake of the woods county closing ramps.

jwellsy

Are they closing the Post Office? How about UPS, Fedex and Amazon Prime deliveries?

Karry Kyllo

We’re all disappointed, but we have to use common sense and try isolating ourselves as much as possible for a while to attempt limiting the spread of the virus.
    Let’s just respect the wishes of the citizens and communities near the Rainy River and just stay away for a while, OK? I don’t think any one of us wants to spread the virus to that area just because we want to fish the Rainy River.
    The fish will still be there when the pandemic is over.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Here’s something to think about. The virus IS already there. There were enough people coming through since December, and it’s been here that long.

Question – are these launches DNR funded? So they’re paid for with yours and my tax dollars. How do the locals get to close it then?

BDR

Not much to think about for me. I consider it very lucky to have this spawning run open all the years it has been. They will lose a ton of money over their decision, so it must be serious to them. I can respect that.They will be there next year. I haven’t had a covid19 test so why would I take chance, no matter how small, of infecting anyone who may be high risk. I dont need to find a way around there decision to limit exposure. Doesn’t matter if there getting exposed other ways. I dont need to add to it. No need to see a law. No need to fight for my constitutional rights,lol. Doesn’t matter if I paid taxes. It’s just right for me to have the attitude I do. Fish, even trophys, are not worth adding risk for me or them.

Karry Kyllo

Here’s something to think about. The virus IS already there. There were enough people coming through since December, and it’s been here that long.

Question – are these launches DNR funded? So they’re paid for with yours and my tax dollars. How do the locals get to close it then?

Isolation will still flatten the infection curve and reduce the pressure on local hospitals if it gets to that point.
    I believe the closed boat ramps are county and city but I have a question for you. If they are DNR funded or not really makes no difference. You’d just selfishly ignore the wishes of the community around the Rainy River and go fishing? They’re trying to protect themselves.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The landings are closed and there’s no amount of pi$$ing and moaning on an online forum that is going to change it. Get over it.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

Beeeee Essssss! Just look at what this virus is doing around the world. Do you honestly think the small communities up north have some type of immunity to this? If the virus has been up north for that long, don’t you think at least 1 person would have suffered serious effects from it and thrown up a red flag by now? There are enough infected people now to begin to differentiate this virus from a “normal” influenza. If you haven’t noticed, CV seems to spread like wildfire. If it’s been in the northland since December, I’m pretty sure we’d be balls deep in this pandemic rather than watching it from afar hoping some antsy tourist doesn’t drag it up here with them. Sorry to sound harsh, but these small communities would/will be devastated if/when CV arrives.

Sorry, but you’re going to have to cancel your fishing trips! Don’t come up here right now! This is a much bigger issue than your poor fishing plans this spring. Be thankful you are even in a position to still have the abilities to even plan such extravagance at this time. Millions of people all around are far less privileged as you.

Ike Sell

I got no dog in this fight… never fished the April river opening… but I can’t help but think… no one will die from not fishing the river this spring… just saying.

blank

The counties have done a great job with clearing the ramps of ice to allow people to back a boat in and fish the river, well before nature itself would clear the ramps. The counties realized how important the spring fishing is to them economically to do so. Now they’ve decided that their health is more important and unfortunately some people can’t seem to handle that decision because it cancels a weekend of fishing for them.

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

I understand and accept why they are doing this but for a lot of people like me it is not just a “weekend of fishing”. It is my single most anticipated trip of the year by far. Especially hurts for me because I have a cabin up there. I could fish without coming near anyone else or using any business other than a pay at the pump gas station. Bring along some clorox wipes for the pump and I wouldn’t be endangering anyone.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.