DNR, Dynamite and Deer Stands

• grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Yup, the same pantie bunchers. I hunt the right way… I don’t speed… I fish correctly always… I leave the tag on my mattress. jester

Taking a wheeler through public land to your illegal stand? I guess we have a different view of what hunting the right way looks like. Seems to me like what a lazy entitled hunter would do. I can imagine why nobody hunts near you.

big_g
    Isle, MN

It’s not illegal to use an ATV… everybody around us does… you can use them before daylight, during lunch and after legal shooting hours. I sit all day, so no lunchtime ride, but many do around me.

Now you better go iron your mattress tag… it’s starting to curl… your comment about the right way to hunt clearly went right over your head. Point proven. it’s not nice to Cyber bully.

CaptainMusky

Yeah its kind of crazy the ASSumptions a lot of people make based off a simple comment.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

It’s not illegal to use an ATV… everybody around us does… you can use them before daylight, during lunch and after legal shooting hours. I sit all day, so no lunchtime ride, but many do around me.

Now you better go iron your mattress tag… it’s starting to curl… your comment about the right way to hunt clearly went right over your head. Point proven. it’s not nice to Cyber bully.

I never said it was illegal to use your wheeler. I think it’s lazy but that’s my opinion. As for cyber bullying. I find it comical that the guy calling names on this thread is the one crying cyber bully. Who’s panties are bunched up now?
    If I knew where your stand was I’d be in it on opener to prove my point. Or maybe I’d set up 100yds down the trail. You’d cry and complain, guaranteed.

B-man

B-man re-enters the chat:

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240424-205857.png

FinnyDinDin

Yeah its kind of crazy the ASSumptions a lot of people make based off a simple comment.

I still haven’t had time to educate myself. I’d be interested to know your answer to bigwerm’s question.

I’m still trying to locate those 10 posts I overlooked.

Michael Best

I am assuming most posters are hunting during gun season.
    Me as a bowhunter, I don’t really care if I find permanent stands on public land. That’s between the person that put the stand there and law enforcement. I tend to shy away from areas that receive hunting pressure and won’t be in the area during gun season anyway.

As for the DNR using dynamite to blow up stands. How does that trash they left behind affect the habitat? Since they were on trailers why not pull them out and sell them instead of using tax payer money to purchase dynamite.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m in the same boat as you Mike. If I find a permanent stand in the woods, I know it’s a area I don’t want to hunt.
    I’m pretty baffled by saying a guy will go sit 100 yards away if some ones in his stand and that’s common sense, lol pretty stupid in my eyes.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Agreed with mike & BC. Granted I have found stands in very good areas where the deer do just sneak around it. Ive seen some pretty good action hunting just off some of those on the trails the deer use to cut by.

Red Eye

Ya I just don’t get the blowing them up. Like Mike said. They were on trailers. Tow em out of there and sell them on the DNR auction. But really does any of this even matter. All the stands on public land will soon be the tribe’s problem when its all turned over in a few years. Kinda joking but not really.

CaptainMusky

Where did you read that? I didn’t find anything in the regs about putting a permanent up being legal on county or tax forfeited land.

‘d also be curious to know if any of you ever shoot mature bucks out of these permies on public?

Typically it’s a county by county basis not statewide. I know 20 plus years ago crow wing county made it illegal for stands to be built on any public land but it was still legal in cass and all the surrounding counties. My buddy has a stand on tax forfeited land near bemidji and the DNR never says a thing. They are everywhere up there Regarding shooting mature bucks out of them? He was one wall in his garage full of antlers and 4 head mounts in his house. He would put a notch in the railing for every deer he shot and I think we counted 38. Not all bucks obviously but that was 1 stand.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I’m in the same boat as you Mike. If I find a permanent stand in the woods, I know it’s a area I don’t want to hunt.
    I’m pretty baffled by saying a guy will go sit 100 yards away if some ones in his stand and that’s common sense, lol pretty stupid in my eyes.

I said if and when someone was in the perm stand, I would go 100 yards away, remember I am on a wheeler and cannot just find a new spot in the dark, unlike you holier than thou daniel boones. I am blown away some of you would confront the guy ? (maybe a little john wayne in some of you too) I have seen my share of some of the stupid stuff others post too. jester

CaptainMusky

I have zero problem with that where they are permitted.

Finny since you are either illiterate, blind or both, I did the work for you. This was just one time I said it. For the record I would never put up a stand permanently if it were legal to do on the public land I hunted. I have ladder stands I use. One was stolen one year and another one almost stolen but they couldnt shoot the lock off.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Typically it’s a county by county basis not statewide. I know 20 plus years ago crow wing county made it illegal for stands to be built on any public land but it was still legal in cass and all the surrounding counties. My buddy has a stand on tax forfeited land near bemidji and the DNR never says a thing. They are everywhere up there

Yeah, I don’t think that is the case anymore. Page 126 of the regs:
    https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/hunting/full_regs.pdf?v=2023.10.18-14.40.51

As mentioned previously we had a bad experience with someone who built a few in the Paul Bunyan State Forest. It’s a much longer story, but they didn’t hunt them for a few years when we started hunting the general area. Then one year they showed up at 9 am on opener weekend Sunday and got in a big argument with my old man at the logging trailhead, and thankfully moved on before it escalated further. Funny enough the DNR tore down their stands the following summer and we never saw those slobs again. But they definitely had the attitude that since they built em, no one should hunt anywhere off “their” logging trail in case they decide to show up.

CaptainMusky

Yeah it may have changed and I haven’t looked lately to check. It doesn’t apply to me. My buddies groups stands have all been there for decades and they merely replace boards etc. They haven’t built a new one in eons. Having said that the last several years have been very bad for them. No deer! Wolves and cougars are taking care of them.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Having said that the last several years have been very bad for them. No deer! Wolves and cougars are taking care of them.

Same around Nevis/Paul Bunyan, we stopped hunting up there 2 years ago. The last year I saw more wolves (2) while driving around than deer while hunting prime times. A decade ago we never even heard wolves, now you can hear and see them on the regular.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I said if and when someone was in the perm stand, I would go 100 yards away, remember I am on a wheeler and cannot just find a new spot in the dark, unlike you holier than thou daniel boones. I am blown away some of you would confront the guy ? (maybe a little john wayne in some of you too) I have seen my share of some of the stupid stuff others post too.

You said you would go 100 yards down the trail they come from going to the stand, because the guy has no common sense. Sounds like bullying at its finest. To me it sounds like a jackass move but that’s just my opinion. I can’t stand hunting near others and would do my damndest to not bust some one else’s hunt. But that’s just me being respectful. Common sense isn’t so common and I can see that clearly. No John Wayne here.

CaptainMusky

Same around Nevis/Paul Bunyan, we stopped hunting up there 2 years ago. The last year I saw more wolves (2) while driving around than deer while hunting prime times. A decade ago we never even heard wolves, now you can hear and see them on the regular.

a couple weeks ago during a full moon the wife had the ankle biter out at 10 to do his business and a wolf howled right behind our house. The dog froze and wouldn’t move. She had to pick him up and bring him inside. The next day I saw one by upper deck and there are at least 2 because I saw a brown one and I saw pics of a black

Pat K
    Empire, MN

One year a hunter in a group that hunts near ours found a life size cardboard statue of Elvira sitting in his permanent stand opening morning. It came from a liquor store Halloween display.
    I don’t think there was any argument and no shots were fired.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

. Having said that the last several years have been very bad for them. No deer! Wolves and cougars are taking care of them.

That is part of the reason why we canceled out potlatch lease. The Wolves in the Huntersville area have put a HUGE hurt on the deer population.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Cant we all just get along? Its fishing season so why are we talking about deer hunting? Wait till September

FinnyDinDin

Yeah it may have changed and I haven’t looked lately to check. It doesn’t apply to me.

So you called me out and told me to educate myself and now you admit you actually don’t know anything about the permanent stand laws. Wowzer! Why am I not surprised.

CaptainMusky

Finny GTFO over yourself. What do you comprehend in my comment about “where it’s legal or allowed” special kind of stupid there.

CaptainMusky

It took me .2 seconds to find that they are still allowed in the areas I was talking about. “Beltrami county is in the process of banning permanent stands”. Huh go figure.

FinnyDinDin

I had a little time on lunch today so I thought I would educate myself per CaptainMusky’s suggestion. In a previous post Captain claimed that it is legal to build permanent stands on all tax forfeited land and some counties allow them to be built on county land as well. 6% of the land in our state is tax forfeited so that is a lot of acres.

What I found is tax forfeited land use rules are regulated by the county the land is in. I checked a half dozen of the larger counties in the northern part of the state and every one of them either specifically said permanent stands are prohibited or said the tax forfeiture and county land rules follow the state land rules. State land prohibits them.

I would be surprised if there are many (or any) counties that allow permanent stands to be built on county land or tax forfeited land within the county. I am not going to take the time to check every county in the state.

So it is in fact illegal to put up a permanent stands on a vast majority (or all) public land in the state.

Sitting 100 yards away from a person sitting in ‘your stand’ is a Dik move but technically not illegal. But ‘your stand’ is illegal.

Thanks Captain!

FinnyDinDin

What do you comprehend in my comment about “where it’s legal or allowed” special kind of stupid there.

Let’s check to see what you actually said.

Finny seems awfully triggered. Stands on public land are NOT illegal everywhere. Time to educate yourself. Tax forfeited land is fair game as is count land in many counties.

lol lol lol

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

One year a hunter in a group that hunts near ours found a life size cardboard statue of Elvira sitting in his permanent stand opening morning. It came from a liquor store Halloween display.

Now that’s funny and is giving me an idea. wink

Anyfish2

Finny, it is not illegal to have “permanent” deer stand in a State forest. You cannot build permanent buildings but stands are legal.

There many un-designated (Not WMA,SNA, ect..)state lands in MN. Permanent stands are legal there.

Cass county has been illegal to build for decades, but legal to occupy/use existing permanent stands.

Words matter, you should read them.

Also CaptainMusky, HAS said multiple times “where legal” and clearly said “many counties” where tax forfeit is open game!

Words Matter, read them!

Michael Best

You mentioned no shots were fired. Did you guys check for DNA or….

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.