DNR, Dynamite and Deer Stands

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

^^^^^^^^^^ rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol woot woot

big_g
    Isle, MN

We have perms on county land and if and when somebody is sitting in them, we will just hunt about 100 yards away on the deer trail leading to them. Common sense is not common. As far as dynamite, I would think a sawzall would render them worthless much cheaper.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

As far as dynamite, I would think a sawzall would render them worthless much cheaper.

But where’s the fun in that? I mean, think about it. You’re a DNR minion sent out to save civilization as we know it and destroy some illegal deer stands, yada, yada. And BTW, have it done before lunch because there’s a particularly nasty dead raccoon clogging a culvert on Asscrack Road and THAT needs to be dealt with by the EOD.

So you arrive on the field of battle, ready to commence slaying some illegal deer stands. You open up the back of your truck and you see:

a) A Sawzall. The really spiffy Fuel version, after all, we’re spending taxpayer money here. But at the end of the day, a Sawzall doesn’t exactly scream “fun”, now does it? And then your eye falls upon…

b) A case of dynamite, sadly only a few sticks remain due to some particularly intransient beaver. But a few sticks of dynamite are better than…

Which tool do you think the average taxpayer-funded manual laborer is going to grab?

FinnyDinDin

They should have cut the tree down and burned the stand. Dynamite is just dumb and leaving the remnants is a bad look for the dnr.

There is good reason for the law. It would be nice if it were enforced more. Some of these comments in this thread reinforce why they should not be legal.

WI allows permanent duck blinds to be built and they cause nothing but drama. They are supposed to be removed after the season and they never are. It would be nice if the dnr went and burned them every winter and ticketed the people who built them. I am glad MN does not allow them to be built.

Johnny

a pile of busted up 2x4s and 4x8s of plywood in the woods is hardly what I’d consider a pile of trash. Ideal? no. Better than status quo? yes

Maybe others will think twice before leaving their stand on public land.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I want to play with some dynamite now! jester

Johnny

i hunt off permanent stands. on public land. to the best of my knowledge there legal but anyone can use it. and i’m good with that. i know the group that hunts in our general area. i know where they hunt, they now where i hunt…..and we respect each others space.

and the problem with you having a permanent stand out there is you have a sense of entitlement to it, whether you want to admit it or not. Not to mention most permanent stands on public eventually get abandoned and become everyone elses problem to deal with.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Again… common sense needs to be on both sides. Its kind of like throwing a buoy out and coming back to find a boat on your mark.. pick up your buoy and move on. Be adults… hard to find these days.

As far as entitlement… I think a guy that comes into a new area and see’s a perm stand someone obviously was hunting, is a whole new level of entitlement to set up shop in there… but that’s just me.

CaptainMusky

and the problem with you having a permanent stand out there is you have a sense of entitlement to it, whether you want to admit it or not. Not to mention most permanent stands on public eventually get abandoned and become everyone elses problem to deal with.

Glenn seems to be about the least entitled person here. Heck he even said he understood someone else could use it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

As far as entitlement… I think a guy that comes into a new area and see’s a perm stand someone obviously was hunting, is a whole new level of entitlement to set up shop in there… but that’s just me.

Nailed it Big G. I personally hate hunting in portables, call me a puss but just never felt comfortable in them. I am lucky and the stands we hunt out of have been built and taken care of for years by the group and we rarely see other hunters in the woods.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Thanks Captainmusky!! waytogo

Johnny… you know Jacksheet about me. Go pee in your cheerios! rotflol

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Glenn seems to be about the least entitled person here. Heck he even said he understood someone else could use it.

You may be correct. But I know of more than a few people who hunt on public land that say they are fine if they show up and someone is in the stand, only to show up and find someone in the stand and become upset. It sounds like from his past post he hunts in a area that is a ways back from entry points so it may never be a problem for him.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

You are correct thumper, I’m a ways back. And the trail I go down to the trail I walk to get to my stand isn’t exactly a city road either

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

You are correct thumper, I’m a ways back. And the trail I go down to the trail I walk to get to my stand isn’t exactly a city road either

That sure will keep 99% of the average hunters well away from your spots. Hope you continue to have the area all to yourself.

B-man

It’s funny how the only people that don’t have a problem with permanent stands on PUBLIC land are people with THEIR permanent stands on PUBLIC land….

There’s zero chance that they wouldn’t have a conversation (likely a heated one at that) when they find a “trespasser” sitting in their stand.

That’s the problem.

The one and only way to resolve it is to make building permanent structures on public land illegal (and blow the existing ones up).

You don’t “need” a heated wooden box to kill a deer. I myself can hardly stand sitting in one. You lose a lot of visibility and the ability to hear what’s going on in the woods. Drives me crazy.

I’d much rather be sitting in my Heater Body Suit in a chair or up in a portable. I can hunt anywhere I want in comfort and still be in-tune with the woods.

FYI Scheels has a great deal going on with the Arctic Shield knock-off Heater Body Suit.

https://www.scheels.com/p/arctic-shield-classic-elite-insulator-body-suit/665398-555180403018.html

Deuces

As much as I complain on politicians, big biz, etc etc I wouldn’t want their job. Literally can’t win at anything.

Anywhere on the WWW that I thought there would be a unanimous this is funny AF and good for them comments it would be here. To hear all this butthurt is depressing.
    For a dnr agent to become so fed up w a situation, procur dynamite and proceed to blow to pieces a deerstand is absolutely lmfao and want to buy that fella a beer. Everyone who likes small town America, says we should get back to the olden days of how to do things and this happens and wants to complain just figure out it has nothing to do with anything other than thr fact ur an old curmudgeon wanting to biatch.

Watch out, there’s pieces of wood, in the woods. Biggest outdoors Karen thing I’ve ever heard.

Hope the dnr fella gets an under the table fist bump from his superior.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Watch out, there’s pieces of wood, in the woods. Biggest outdoors Karen thing I’ve ever heard.

Lol Dueces read the article and look at the pictures, it’s way more than a few pieces of wood. They were on trailers lol. And guys here get upset about sunflower seeds on the ice.

It’s funny how the only people that don’t have a problem with permanent stands on PUBLIC land are people with THEIR permanent stands on PUBLIC land….
    There’s zero chance that they wouldn’t have a conversation (likely a heated one at that) when they find a “trespasser” sitting in their stand.

That’s the problem.

100%. And I’ve had firsthand experience with this as well. Permanent stands have no business on public land. Period. And it is not legal anywhere that I am aware of. Even if Glenn is the greatest guy in the world ;-)

MX1825

I don’t have a problem with the wood busted all to h3[[, but these were on trailers it was stated earlier. So that means we now have chunks of iron and tires in every direction. And no one has an issue with that other than me. doah

Maybe give all the wardens a wake boat to tool around and check licenses also.

DNR do what I say but the laws don’t apply to me. whistling

CaptainMusky

You don’t “need” a heated wooden box to kill a deer. I myself can hardly stand sitting in one. You lose a lot of visibility and the ability to hear what’s going on in the woods. Drives me crazy.

This is a tremendous exaggeration. I dont think anyone here is talking about box stands with heaters in them rather a bunch of 2x4s and maybe some mesh around the outside to conceal. This particular situation was different however, but I am pretty sure 95% of these things are just railings and the like. I have zero problem with that where they are permitted.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I hunted out of a homemade wood stand when I first started deer hunting almost 30 years ago. I was 12 and didn’t know any better. Everyone else in our group did the same. It was uncomfortable, cold, and boring but if I wanted to hunt on opener at deer camp, that’s what I had to do. I was told to sit there quietly for 11 hours and wait for a deer that never came. It was such a miserable experience my first season that I questioned whether I was going to even go the following season. Back then, building a permanent stand out of lumber/nails/screws was actually legal but it was still available for anyone to use once erected.

Years later, they obviously banned building them on public land. But there was still quite a few around. You just couldn’t build new ones. Sometimes you could find one that was still in pretty good shape and make a “few repairs” to it which was perfectly legal.

I’d much rather hunt in one of today’s modern portable stands, which is what I’ve done for 20 years now. I don’t hunt on public land anymore, but today’s modern portable stands are plenty comfortable for an all day sit.

FinnyDinDin

I don’t have a problem with the wood busted all to h3[[, but these were on trailers it was stated earlier. So that means we now have chunks of iron and tires in every direction. And no one has an issue with that other than me.

From my understanding the dnr asked them to remove them and were ignored. The dnr should tell those people they were kind enough to dissemble their illegal permanent stand for them and tell them they need to go rid of the debris by a certain date or they will be issued a littering citation.

The stands should have never been placed on public land as it is against the law. I don’t blame the dnr in any way for that and I don’t think it should be their job to clean up after people breaking the law.

Just read this thread for a good list of reasons why permanent stands shouldn’t be allowed on public property.

hillhiker
    SE MN

I say good for the DNR. Why shouldn’t they get to have little fun on the job. Instead of getting mad at the DNR get mad at the people that left trailers on the public even after being told to get them off. Now the officers just need to cuff the people the stands belonged to, and make them clean up the mess as their community service. If dynamite is what it takes to get all the stands left on public removed I say have at it.

basseyes

Am not fully sure of what each county statute is regarding permanent structures on tax forfeited land, but seems like very few have ever allowed them and how many still do? Anything state related it is illegal. This has been in the works for a long time within the dnr and the enforcement side of it. Not the dynamite deal, but getting rid of permanent stands. There’s a big difference between a ladder stand with sides and a make shift roof vs an actual built structure with a roof, 4 walls, windows, roofing/insulation material etc. One is an actual built, permanent structure. Much different than the old school “permanent” stands. Today’s “permanent” stand is an insulated structure with way to much material on public land. State vs County makes a difference, but still don’t think there are many counties left that actual allow structures to be built for deer hunting. Correct me if I’m wrong on that with that actual statute from the county.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

pretty sure its a stats thing…..my stand is on US forest service land…..and i dont believe all your rantings apply to fed lnd!!!!!

meanwhile i’m going to enjoy my permy stand……its not like its hotel room!

carry on!!!!!!!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This is what I could find on the use of a permanent stand on Federal Land in MN. The US Forest Service is responsible for logging or the permission of logging on this land, and I imagine the presence of a permanent stand made out of lumber, nails, screws, etc would inhibit that.

Hunting Stands
    Hunters may use portable blinds or hunting stands that do not damage live
    trees and that are removed at the end of the hunt. Portable stands are those
    that are chained, belted, clamped, or tied with rope and do no permanent
    damage.
    Permanent blinds and stands are not allowed. They often cause damage to
    trees, and lead to other resource damage, including the cutting of timber for
    shooting lanes, cross-country travel by ATV’s, litter, and development of
    roads and trails.
    Remember that no one has the right to attempt to reserve public lands for
    exclusive use through acts of implied ownership or intimidation.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

rotflol rotflol rotflol you know how many logged out areas up there i’ve come across in the years i’ve been up there where they logged right around those old delapated stands………hundreds!!!

CaptainMusky

Same thing here Glenn. My buddy and his crew have been deer hunting an area of tax forfeited for over 40 years. They recently logged it and the only tree still standing was the one his stand was in LOL

big_g
    Isle, MN

I went to an old permanent stand one year and they cut every tree within a 80 yard circle, minus the one that had the old 2xs and plywood nailed on it. I didn’t put the stand there, but maintained it for a decade. It had to put up in the 70’s and I started hunting it in the late 80’s. It was hilarious looking at it up on that hill !!! rotflol

Surprised to see there are so many hot heads who couldn’t bare the sight of someone sitting in a stand they put up… without having a huge kniption. I did my share of hang on portables, ladder stands, ground blind hunts… nothing beats what I have now, since breaking my ankle and sitting all day would be impossible in any of those old ways. If somebody finds the perm I put up, have at it. She is a beaut !

Attachments:
    1. stand.jpg

Deuces

Dueces read the article and look at the pictures, it’s way more than a few pieces of wood.

I did, and point is it’s still wood in woods. Nice trailer, guess what, it was there before and it’s still there after.

Kudos again to the whole department up there. They should send out invites next time, guess exploding barrels down in Iowa is the only acceptable booms allowed around here

big_g
    Isle, MN

Doesn’t surprise me anymore what the MN DNR is capable of. After saying with a straight face, Mille Lacs was hit so hard last winter, that they have to lower the angling harvest level to 0 fish kept for 2024. coffee

It sounds like they are not totally “cool” with the dynamite yet…

“The man who owned the stands, which had stood in Bowstring State Forest illegally for over a decade, as the Duluth News Tribune reported Wednesday. The man fears repercussions and hasn’t come forward to claim ownership of the stands at this time. The News Tribune also reports that he’s an enrolled member of the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe, and that the land in question is within the Leech Lake Reservation.”

“After repeated efforts to contact the owner of the stands and a conversation with a relative of the owner, DNR forestry staff demolished the stands,’’ DNR officials told the News Tribune. “While staff took the safety steps of blocking access to the area, confirming there were no other landowners immediately adjacent to the site, and notifying the appropriate authorities, the method of demolition did not follow DNR policy or reflect good judgment. We are evaluating the situation and will take appropriate follow-up measures.”

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.