Dive Bars

• Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Ok everyone lets hear about your favorite Dive Bars where there located and why there your favorite ?

CaptainMusky

One of my favorites is the Wilton Liquor Store. WHy? Burgers are the best I have ever had and lots of pulltabs.

Jimmy Jones

Red Ram in Alma Wisconsin. Great burgers and fries plus the place has an ambiance that an old bar just “has”. Its never no busy.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Love the topic! What constitutes a “dive bar”? Just want to make sure we are all on the same page here.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Sandy’s in Richfield if you live in the cities.

CaptainMusky

Love the topic! What constitutes a “dive bar”? Just want to make sure we are all on the same page here.

I think of it as one that is dark and gloomy and has a lot of character.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Good burgers food etc. Pull tabs, friendly atmosphere, I guess also everyone has there clothes on lol. And now days it don’t break the bank to Eat there. It’s a plus if there are STUFF hanging from the ceiling…. Dollar bills signed. Has anyone ever been to Salty Dog in Homer Ak. No food but great atmosphere lots of stuff hanging from ceiling.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Just went to a bar called Junkyard Bar this past weekend. It is between Siren and Spooner WI. Very cool place. Can’t wait to go back this summer and check out a band there. You could spend an entire day checking out all the old vintage stuff inside and outside of the bar.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Haha I’d add cheap booze as one of the primary characteristics. The fully clothed one, eliminates some of the best dives in Nordeast (looking at you Deuce Deuce) jester , but not sure if any of them are around anymore.

Trobecs and Howie’s in St. Stephen are always good spots, but they are clean and well kept…The Muni in Nevis and Harvey’s in Carver are about the only bars I go to on a somewhat regular basis anymore.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Howie’s in St. Stephen

Is that in anyway related to the Howie’s in downtown St Cloud?

orve4

One of my Favorite is The Big Tap in Cass Lake good food and cheap drinks.

Their is two Howie’s one in st.Stephen I believe the original and then one downtown St.Cloud.

CaptainMusky

Yes, they were originally owned by the same person, Howie, but he got divorced and his ex runs the one downtown now. He is still involved however. They have different menus too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    Howie’s in St. Stephen

It was and still kind of is I believe. Howie owned them both, now his former son in law runs St. Stephen and not sure who runs DT, maybe Howie still, but Howie is often at the St. Stephen one.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Woodtick bar in cuyuna heagies pizza and good meat raffles long necks are 3.00 pints are 3.00

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Howie’s in St. Stephen

Yes, same owner.

Will wonder into Beaudreau’s in St. Cloud on occasion, small little spot but usually enjoy my time there. Otherwise, do like the st Stephen bars but don’t make it up there much anymore. Legion or muni in hack when I’m up there.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Beaudreau’s in St. Cloud

MT’s on 8th is a great spot too in St. Cloud, some of the best burgers around imo! And reminds me I need to stop in for a review sometime.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The brick in north branch

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Woodtick bar in cuyuna heagies pizza and good meat raffles long necks are 3.00 pints are 3.00

That’s a good one too and spending more time there since we have a cabin in the area.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>weedis wrote:</div>
    Beaudreau’s in St. Cloud

MT’s on 8th is a great spot too in St. Cloud, some of the best burgers around imo! And reminds me I need to stop in for a review sometime.

Been many moons since I’ve been in there but it is a good spot

CaptainMusky

I have lived in St Cloud area for 27 years and I have never been in Beaudreaus.

orve4

MT’s On 8th is another great spot. One of my favorite spots is Schifflers Liquor north of Albany Not sure it is a dive bar anymore is the bar was rebuilt about 15 years ago. They have two dollar bottle beer all Tuesdays and great meat raffles.

MX1825

Where is EPG? I would bet he knows 1 or 20. whistling

A good one in AZ out side Apache Junction Tortilla Flat Saloon.

You might want to stay sober, there are 147 curves on the highway back to civilization.

Attachments:
    1. 20231205_120425-scaled.jpg

2. 20231205_122718-scaled.jpg

3. 20231205_120657-scaled.jpg

CaptainMusky

A buddy tells me of this bar in Yankton that would be a hoot. Apparently you sit outside and drink bottled beer and just smash the bottles on the ground. LOL

JEREMY
    BP

Harvey’s in Carver

If you want stuff on the ceiling walk across the road to Lisas Place. Must be about a truck payment worth of 1’s stuck to the ceiling.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Howie’s in St. Stephen

Will be there for lunch today! toast waytogo

Bleachers sports bar South of Detroit Lakes is one I’ve been to a few times. Just north of the WeFest campgrounds. Usually for supper when I’m staying there for work. Burgers are very good.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Harvey’s in Carver

If you want stuff on the ceiling walk across the road to Lisas Place. Must be about a truck payment worth of 1’s stuck to the ceiling.

Yeah, I think the Doghouse would be the dive’iest of dive bars in Carver. But Lisa’s and the Doghouse don’t offer much for food, Harvey’s is solid.

Will be there for lunch today!

Best buffalo wings around imo!

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pailofperch wrote:</div>
    Will be there for lunch today!

Me too, I would love to meet you! will be there right at 11

I’ll be in just after noon with my oldest son. We’re roofing a house a couple miles West.

CaptainMusky

I’ll be in just after noon with my oldest son. We’re roofing a house a couple miles West.

Have you been coming in there recently? I may have already see you LOL I sit in the same spot every time. You’ll see my truck right out front by looking at the plates LOL

AK Guy

Good burgers food etc. Pull tabs, friendly atmosphere, I guess also everyone has there clothes on lol. And now days it don’t break the bank to Eat there. It’s a plus if there are STUFF haning from the ceiling…. Dollar bills signed. Has anyone ever been to Salty Dog in Homer Ak. No food but great atmosphere lots of stuff hanging from ceiling.

I started going there when it was a dirt floor bar. The Bird Creek bar outside of Anchorage was the Salty Dog on steroids. Too bad it burned down. But, my favorite was the Monkey Wharf in Anchorage. I think it closed down in the mid 80’s. This bar had a dozen live monkeys plexiglassed behind the bar. Nothing like the smell of cigarettes, alcohol, and monkey feces.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.