Devils lake upcoming fish population

• Brandon Buchholz
    WI

I’m not sure what it’s called exactly in ND, but I know game and fish there releases a number based on how many fish they trap and this is supposed to be an indication of how the fishing is going to be on the ice if I read the thread right. Anybody have an idea of when they release this information. Lookin at fishing late this upcoming February and just interested how the fishing is predicted to be. Thanks for any feedback.

holmsvc
    SE ND

It should be good.

buddah6

Found this, hopefully what you were looking for..

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-9.png

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Brandon I went out last year to devils lake early january and fished for three days with perch patrol. We got unlucky with weather as ice formed late then the days before we got there it cracked down to like -15 so fishing for us was slow but from what the guides were saying is that the perch out there do not have a long life cycle and that the cycle is like 3-4 years for them. They expect they are coming to a peak this year and also I have heard that they are actually catching perch open water which I guess is a little strange but is a good indicator that the winter should be good.

Not sure if you have fished there or not before but I think even the “normal” days are worth it. We had a blast last year and the guides do what they can to get you on fish. The first two days of the trip we actually fished on a slough somewhere near the lake and caught lots of fish but had to sort but others at the fish house that were cleaning fish from main lake did not have numbers we did.

Hope that helps. I know guides say things to make you come back but I trust the opinions I received.

Brandon Buchholz
    WI

Did you guys limit out? 3 of us are headed out there and were going to fish 4 full days but weren’t sure if that’s necessary. What would you say was average size of the perch you caught? Thanks for the feedback

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Average size for us was in that 10-12 inch but like I said on the slough were not true jumbos. Last day when we fished on main lake the 10-12 inch were much bigger than on the slough. I don’t know where you normally fish but an average perch out there is a nice perch most places so getting good size is not an issue i don’t believe. As for limiting out you can keep I think 20 a guy a day we did not limit out but close all days. Add in some walleye each day and you got a nice mess of fish.

we fished three days and that was enough but if the bite was on it never gets old fighting those perch. we never went for pike or anything but you could spend one day doing that I guess. you can only bring back so many fish.

Brandon Buchholz
    WI

Yeah you can only bring pack 40 perch now. That’s why we were wondering if we’re overdoing our stay

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.