Devils Lake, ND

• Brandon Buchholz
    WI

I’m planning on a trip to Devils Lake this winter for a 5 day ice trip and wondering if anyone has been here before and had some advice on which side of the lake is better for fishing. I’ve heard some say west side is not as good as the east side. Any advice or experience on devils for ice fishing would be greatly appreciated.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve fished the west side and Creel bay extensively. They both produce good numbers of fish. In the trips we’ve been on, the west side produced very well for Walleye and Creel produced incredible for Perch and Pike.

Austin M
    Grand Forks, ND

Depends on the time of year you go; early ice check shallow (6-25ft) structure (rocks, submerged roads, old shorelines) and trees for walleyes, mid/late ice deep basins (35-45ft) produce the yellow perch gold with mixed bonus walleyes.

Northerns can be caught in the trees all winter, its always fun bringing up a 35+ inch pike on a ice rod.

Brandon Buchholz
    WI

We’re looking to get after some of this legendary Perch fishing as well as walleye. We were looking to stay at a place called West Bay Resort. Id like to stay relatively close to where we are going to set up. Does the fishing stay pretty consistent through the season? In Wisconsin it can die pretty good between early and late ice. Any suggestion on times to go? I appreciate the feedback.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

West Bay would be a good choice to base your fishing out of, some very good”traditional”walleye hotspots and there were some pretty good perch bites on the flats last year.
    Most years seems to be a lull in perch fishing from mid jan til about valentines day, with last ice usually being best for both perch and walleye, this is usually bout end of march.The ice can get pretty scetchy bout this time would recommend atv.
    If fishing does get better on the east end you really dont have that far of a drive.
    I’m a lifelong resident of DL and worked and owned a baitshop in town for 25 yrs, so I have fielded many of your questions over the years, feel free to pm me.

Brian Anderson
    Eden Prairie, MN

last year i went up to devils for the first time and stayed at woodlands and fished creel…..this was the first week of march but remember last year the ice season ended soon. we had roughly 3-4in of water on top of the ice when we were there. the little lady and i fished both shallower water in creel for eyes and as deep as 40+ feet for perch. it was a tricky bite for sure, but enjoyable none the less. my dad and i are headed back to woodlands this coming season the second week of march.

if you want more info on stuff just PM me and ill let ya know

-b-

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.