Defeated by a kitchen appliance

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I picked a big bunch of green beans yesterday. Washed them off, chopped them up, and quenched in boiling water. So far so good. Then I tried to vacuum seal them. And it won’t work. I left 4 or 5 inches of bag beyond the pile of beans and it won’t work. I can seal an empty bag. I can even seal up carrots. But not the beans! This is driving me nuts, I’m ready to take the vacuum sealer (an expensive Cabela’s model) out in the back yard and beat it to death with a rock. What in the wide wide world of sports can be any different about green beans?

I need a beer.

SR

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

lmao

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

hah Put a carrot in with the beans!

-J.

picklerick
    Central WI

Is it too wet? My vac sealer has a wet or dry setting on it.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

The beans are “off-gassing” faster than the sealer can generate vacuum? I don’t think carrots produce as much gas. doah

isu22andy

I had a problem with mine . Mine has a foam seal – I pulled it off cleaned it and put it back in . Fixed all the vacuuming problem .

ThunderLund78

The beans are “off-gassing” faster than the sealer can generate vacuum? I don’t think carrots produce as much gas. doah

This is interesting – I’m guessing if it appears to seal and then 5 minutes later there’s air in there, then this is exactly what’s happening.

If it’s just not sealing right away, maybe it’s water from the washed/boiled beans fouling the seal? You could try putting a folded-up paper towel between the beans and the opening and see if that does the trick.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wrap a paper towel up and put that in the bag a inch below the seal it will help with moisture and the gas effect

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Thanks for the suggestions. It does pull a fairly hard vacuum, but it won’t seal the bag shut. I didn’t think moisture would be a problem as people seal up soup and stews with these things. But I guess it’s worth a try.

Riverrat

Scheels has a pretty fair return policy…Beat it with the rock, take some pictures, show the new sealer what happens when it messes with your green beans.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The last commercial unit i sold i got $4500.00 you might wanna hang on to yours. grin

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

You could try putting a folded-up paper towel between the beans and the opening and see if that does the trick.

Or just toss a tablet in every bag;
    beano® Tablets can be chewed or swallowed with water. Just take beano® as directed when you’re eating

bagging

meals with foods that can cause gas.

big_g
    Isle, MN

PC Load Letter !!! jester Exactly what I was gonna post !! Michael Bolton… rotflol rotflol rotflol

reddog

Partially freeze them?

Karry Kyllo

Freeze them first and vacum seal them frozen.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Partially freeze them?

If it makes enough vacuum it will cause the water to evaporate fast at room temperature and that will be impossible to overcome

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.