2003 DEER HUNTING PICS

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

With nearly 9200 pages views I figured there’d be plenty of interest in bouncing this back to page 1. I’m looking forward to seeing the 2004 thread grow with recent successes but these dandies from 2003 are worth looking at again.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

With nearly 9200 pages views I figured there’d be plenty of interest in bouncing this back to page 1. I’m looking forward to seeing the 2004 thread grow with recent successes but these dandies from 2003 are worth looking at again.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Joe,

The deer you posted was poached in Canada. There is an article in this month’s OL. I just read it yesterday.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Joe,

The deer you posted was poached in Canada. There is an article in this month’s OL. I just read it yesterday.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I will keep this one at the top until the 2004 Pics start rolling in and with all the talented bow hunters we have here I am sure that we will see the first pics on Sept 18th.

Quote:

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I will keep this one at the top until the 2004 Pics start rolling in and with all the talented bow hunters we have here I am sure that we will see the first pics on Sept 18th.

Quote:

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Last year someone posted a link to a web site that gave the true story on pics that fly around the web about deer like the one Joe posted. For the life of me I can not find this link, I thought it was from Pope & Young or Boone & Crocket. Anyone know which one I am talking about?

Quote:

Joe,

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Last year someone posted a link to a web site that gave the true story on pics that fly around the web about deer like the one Joe posted. For the life of me I can not find this link, I thought it was from Pope & Young or Boone & Crocket. Anyone know which one I am talking about?

Quote:

Joe,

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

That monster deer in the back of that maroon chevy is that Johnson buck that was shot in Iowa by that 15 year old. If I remember right is was with a muzzleloader. That is suppost to be the new world record.

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

That monster deer in the back of that maroon chevy is that Johnson buck that was shot in Iowa by that 15 year old. If I remember right is was with a muzzleloader. That is suppost to be the new world record.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

His name is Brian Andrews he was 16 when he shot the buck, the buck is a possible Iowa State Archery record not a world record and the buck was stolen from his home.

Possible Iowa State Record Trophy Stolen

Record buck stolen from Independence teenager

Stolen Trophy Deer

Quote:

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

His name is Brian Andrews he was 16 when he shot the buck, the buck is a possible Iowa State Archery record not a world record and the buck was stolen from his home.

Possible Iowa State Record Trophy Stolen

Record buck stolen from Independence teenager

Stolen Trophy Deer

Quote:

Chris
    Rochester, MN

My friends 8pt. and my 12 errr my buck….

This poor buck wouldn’t be in the picture if I wasn’t so excited to see it and had noticed what he is missing.

It’s one of the most fun times of the year…..BUTCHER!! When you have plenty of ale and not enough bandaids (next pic)

Chris
    Rochester, MN

My friends 8pt. and my 12 errr my buck….

This poor buck wouldn’t be in the picture if I wasn’t so excited to see it and had noticed what he is missing.

It’s one of the most fun times of the year…..BUTCHER!! When you have plenty of ale and not enough bandaids (next pic)

Chris
    Rochester, MN

next

Chris
    Rochester, MN

next

CPR1
    WI

It was Nov 1st 2003, one year to the day. My hunting buddy and brother in-law passed away. I convinced my wife to let me hunt the morning of black powder. My stand is only accessible by canoe so I left at 2:00am to arrive around 3:00am. I unloaded my canoe from the top of my jeep and loaded my gear. I began what I did not know would be a hunt of a life time. I proceeded across the pond (to be startled by a very angry beaver slapping is tail on the water)to the creek I had to travel up approx. 1/4 mile. I arrived at my stand area about 4:00am. I then unloaded my climbing stand and 50 cal CVA. I was able to get into my stand and situated before sunrise. Shortly after sunrise I heard a deer cross the creek up river from me but was unable to catch a glimpse of it. Around 8:15 I then heard a deer walking behind me but once again with such thick cover I was unable to see it. At 8:45 I decided to turn around in my stand to check things out. This is when I got the superise of my life as the big 9 pointer was standing 40 yards broad side quartered away looking in the opposite direction. It was a picture perfect shot. I raised my gun , put the bead on its front shoulder and squeezed the trigger. Down he went, he did not move 10 feet. But now the work had just began. I had to load the 180+ lb deer, me (250lb) and all my gear in a 12 foot canoe. Yup your right I did not think this hunt through all the way. Well here I am Deer, me and gear canoeing down stream with the water slowly coming over the sides. I thought I was going down like the titanic. As I rounded the bend of the creek into the pond I had on of my fellow hunters standing at my jeep to greet me with laughter as I was sinking fast. I did make it to the jeep with out going down but let me tell you I was worried there for awhile. The buck now hangs on my wall with a dedication plaque beneath it in memory of my passed hunting buddy. I never got the deer officially scored. But no matter if I shoot a bigger one in my years to come. THIS BUCK WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST TROPHY!

I forgot to mention, this buck was taken out of VA.

CPR1
    WI

It was Nov 1st 2003, one year to the day. My hunting buddy and brother in-law passed away. I convinced my wife to let me hunt the morning of black powder. My stand is only accessible by canoe so I left at 2:00am to arrive around 3:00am. I unloaded my canoe from the top of my jeep and loaded my gear. I began what I did not know would be a hunt of a life time. I proceeded across the pond (to be startled by a very angry beaver slapping is tail on the water)to the creek I had to travel up approx. 1/4 mile. I arrived at my stand area about 4:00am. I then unloaded my climbing stand and 50 cal CVA. I was able to get into my stand and situated before sunrise. Shortly after sunrise I heard a deer cross the creek up river from me but was unable to catch a glimpse of it. Around 8:15 I then heard a deer walking behind me but once again with such thick cover I was unable to see it. At 8:45 I decided to turn around in my stand to check things out. This is when I got the superise of my life as the big 9 pointer was standing 40 yards broad side quartered away looking in the opposite direction. It was a picture perfect shot. I raised my gun , put the bead on its front shoulder and squeezed the trigger. Down he went, he did not move 10 feet. But now the work had just began. I had to load the 180+ lb deer, me (250lb) and all my gear in a 12 foot canoe. Yup your right I did not think this hunt through all the way. Well here I am Deer, me and gear canoeing down stream with the water slowly coming over the sides. I thought I was going down like the titanic. As I rounded the bend of the creek into the pond I had on of my fellow hunters standing at my jeep to greet me with laughter as I was sinking fast. I did make it to the jeep with out going down but let me tell you I was worried there for awhile. The buck now hangs on my wall with a dedication plaque beneath it in memory of my passed hunting buddy. I never got the deer officially scored. But no matter if I shoot a bigger one in my years to come. THIS BUCK WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST TROPHY!

I forgot to mention, this buck was taken out of VA.

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

This is the buck my dad(Kevin Cain) shot last year.

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

This is the buck my dad(Kevin Cain) shot last year.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Here is a picture of a buck, I took a couple years back. This was the 2nd buck I ever took. I shot him Pre-rut, out of my favortie stand the knobby. It was a cool, crisp, late October morning. I had a few does and younger bucks come filter by. I heard something coming form the North, it kept getting louder and louder, but I couldn’t get turned all the way to see what it was. I could hear it and it was close. To my suprise it was two Jake Turkeys. It sure got my heart pumping.

Later a doe came cruising up from the hollow and bedded down. A buck came in chasing her and tried to bump her from the bed. He gave up on her, looking to pick on some little bucks I had below me. This Guy was all swelled up and was like a steer looking my way. I recognized this Buck for I have seen him through the spotting Scope in August. He was a shooter. I blew my grunt call, he was committted and coming fast to kick some butt. I drew back, he came in on a trail broadside @ 22 yards, I grunted to stop him, put my 20 yard pin on him and let it fly. He circled back to where he came from and crashed up over the ridge down in the hollow about 80 yards from the tree. I quickly set my bow down for a awesome uncontrollable feeling was just starting to set in. I hung my bow on the rest and turned around to hug the tree I was standing in for fear of falling to the ground. I started to shake and became real short of breathe. I was feeling the emotion I search for each and every Fall. Some years I get Lucky and able to feel this emotion sometimes not so lucky, but cherish every moment I get to spend chasing this feeling. This emotion is unlike any other, the emotion that drives my obsession for chasing Monster Whitetails. The obseesion that lives in my blood year around now. Some of you know what I’m talking about. This buck scores just short of P&Y, he busted off his left G3 costing me in the neighborhood of 10″. This would have put him in the low 130’s if he still had it. He dressed out at 212lbs. One of my best trophy’s to date.

This Fall I ‘m still searching. Although I have beeen on a roller coaster ride of emotions. Some very high and up times, some very low and down times. Perhaps it will happen soon!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Here is a picture of a buck, I took a couple years back. This was the 2nd buck I ever took. I shot him Pre-rut, out of my favortie stand the knobby. It was a cool, crisp, late October morning. I had a few does and younger bucks come filter by. I heard something coming form the North, it kept getting louder and louder, but I couldn’t get turned all the way to see what it was. I could hear it and it was close. To my suprise it was two Jake Turkeys. It sure got my heart pumping.

Later a doe came cruising up from the hollow and bedded down. A buck came in chasing her and tried to bump her from the bed. He gave up on her, looking to pick on some little bucks I had below me. This Guy was all swelled up and was like a steer looking my way. I recognized this Buck for I have seen him through the spotting Scope in August. He was a shooter. I blew my grunt call, he was committted and coming fast to kick some butt. I drew back, he came in on a trail broadside @ 22 yards, I grunted to stop him, put my 20 yard pin on him and let it fly. He circled back to where he came from and crashed up over the ridge down in the hollow about 80 yards from the tree. I quickly set my bow down for a awesome uncontrollable feeling was just starting to set in. I hung my bow on the rest and turned around to hug the tree I was standing in for fear of falling to the ground. I started to shake and became real short of breathe. I was feeling the emotion I search for each and every Fall. Some years I get Lucky and able to feel this emotion sometimes not so lucky, but cherish every moment I get to spend chasing this feeling. This emotion is unlike any other, the emotion that drives my obsession for chasing Monster Whitetails. The obseesion that lives in my blood year around now. Some of you know what I’m talking about. This buck scores just short of P&Y, he busted off his left G3 costing me in the neighborhood of 10″. This would have put him in the low 130’s if he still had it. He dressed out at 212lbs. One of my best trophy’s to date.

This Fall I ‘m still searching. Although I have beeen on a roller coaster ride of emotions. Some very high and up times, some very low and down times. Perhaps it will happen soon!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Here is a pic of the deer I sot with a bow Nov. 3 2003 in North Dakota during an evening hunt. It was cold and just started snowing that afternoon. Deer were on the move this evening. I seen over 20 deer this evening, but I was losing light fast and had 6-8 deer around me. I thought there was just two bucks that I have been watching the last 1/2 hour chasing does. A nice 135 class 5×5 and a 150 class 5×5. Right at last light a doe was being run ragged just out of bow range from me when she turned my way with a buck on her tail. I quickly glassed him not knowing which one it was, I thought I had seen what I wanted, but wasn’t a 100%. She came through at about 15 yards and I started grunting to get him to stop, to no avail he kept cruising, so I let one fly. The buck turned right when I shot. Due to the low light, the buck on the move and his turn, I was unsure of my shot. I watched him trot off to about 80 yards and stop. He just stood there until I lost all light looking through the binoculars. Here comes the bad part. Not sure of my shot I did not want to push him but, expecting 2-3 inches of snow that night made me start tracking 1/2 hour after the shot. I had blood on my arrow. Lost the blood trail after about 125 yards. Decided to try to find him in the morning. The next day we guessed where he would be and kicked him up in a slough 100 yards from last blood. He was hurting bad and the chase was on. Now this same snow that I cursed about the night before was my new friend. When I said the chase was on I meant it. After getting within bow range numerous times, but getting no shot he took myself and my buddy Paul on a 7.5 mile chase. Yes, that number is correct. He ended up with a 2nd arrow in him 5 sections South and one section East. Through some of the nastiest stuff imagineable. There was a NW wind and he kept that at his back the whole time. He knew where we were every time we got close. We kept trying to jump someone ahead of him, but he managed to escape. He even went 300 yards in a creek. ONe time as we were crawling through some nasty stuff, with bows in our hands, I looked up and seen him not more than 20 yards away. It was then I looked a Paul and siad I wish I had a bleeping gun! 7 hours later and 3 sections from the truck, we were exhausted. The 2nd arrow was a 20 yard broad side shot. I think he finally said go ahead get it over with. My first shot was low and back. It caught liver. It ended well, but a lesson that I already knew was reinforced. Never take a shot your not 100% sure about unless your ready for the consequences. This was not the buck I wanted to shoot, but still a nice buck. The lack of light, not knowing exactly what buck it was and taking a moving shot are all things I look back on and 2nd guess taking that shot. 1 of those things are hard enough to overcome but all 3…. I got lucky. We green net scored him @ 108 5/8. He was a nice 4×4 2.5 years old and a buck and story I will never forget. Believe me Paul reminds me not to do that again also! .

Rob

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Here is a pic of the deer I sot with a bow Nov. 3 2003 in North Dakota during an evening hunt. It was cold and just started snowing that afternoon. Deer were on the move this evening. I seen over 20 deer this evening, but I was losing light fast and had 6-8 deer around me. I thought there was just two bucks that I have been watching the last 1/2 hour chasing does. A nice 135 class 5×5 and a 150 class 5×5. Right at last light a doe was being run ragged just out of bow range from me when she turned my way with a buck on her tail. I quickly glassed him not knowing which one it was, I thought I had seen what I wanted, but wasn’t a 100%. She came through at about 15 yards and I started grunting to get him to stop, to no avail he kept cruising, so I let one fly. The buck turned right when I shot. Due to the low light, the buck on the move and his turn, I was unsure of my shot. I watched him trot off to about 80 yards and stop. He just stood there until I lost all light looking through the binoculars. Here comes the bad part. Not sure of my shot I did not want to push him but, expecting 2-3 inches of snow that night made me start tracking 1/2 hour after the shot. I had blood on my arrow. Lost the blood trail after about 125 yards. Decided to try to find him in the morning. The next day we guessed where he would be and kicked him up in a slough 100 yards from last blood. He was hurting bad and the chase was on. Now this same snow that I cursed about the night before was my new friend. When I said the chase was on I meant it. After getting within bow range numerous times, but getting no shot he took myself and my buddy Paul on a 7.5 mile chase. Yes, that number is correct. He ended up with a 2nd arrow in him 5 sections South and one section East. Through some of the nastiest stuff imagineable. There was a NW wind and he kept that at his back the whole time. He knew where we were every time we got close. We kept trying to jump someone ahead of him, but he managed to escape. He even went 300 yards in a creek. ONe time as we were crawling through some nasty stuff, with bows in our hands, I looked up and seen him not more than 20 yards away. It was then I looked a Paul and siad I wish I had a bleeping gun! 7 hours later and 3 sections from the truck, we were exhausted. The 2nd arrow was a 20 yard broad side shot. I think he finally said go ahead get it over with. My first shot was low and back. It caught liver. It ended well, but a lesson that I already knew was reinforced. Never take a shot your not 100% sure about unless your ready for the consequences. This was not the buck I wanted to shoot, but still a nice buck. The lack of light, not knowing exactly what buck it was and taking a moving shot are all things I look back on and 2nd guess taking that shot. 1 of those things are hard enough to overcome but all 3…. I got lucky. We green net scored him @ 108 5/8. He was a nice 4×4 2.5 years old and a buck and story I will never forget. Believe me Paul reminds me not to do that again also! .

Rob

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Here is the buck I shot on Sun, 11-21-04. He is a 13 pointer with unique characteristics. I have a shed from it from last year. Both main beams were broke at the end also. My best deer so far and probably ever. Good luck to all.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Here is the buck I shot on Sun, 11-21-04. He is a 13 pointer with unique characteristics. I have a shed from it from last year. Both main beams were broke at the end also. My best deer so far and probably ever. Good luck to all.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

I will try it again. Sorry guys and gals.

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 217 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.