23″ Wide 8pt!

• mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

I stopped the insanity early this year! It feels a little odd heading into November without a buck tag but Im not complaining. Yesterday was the first time sitting this stand in 2010 and I rattled this guy in at 8am. He came through my shooting lane broadside and at full draw I decided to let him walk …only had a profile view and noticed shorter tines. He went about 25 yards past me in the thick buckthorn and after about a minute he turned around and came right back through. Again at full draw… this time I bleated to stop him in the shooting lane WHEN he looked in my direction I couldnt decide if I should kick myself or shoot first..probably why I hit him back a little bit. After the arrow passed through he ran off about 50 yards(just out of site)and I didnt hear another sounds so I sat there for about 45 minutes before getting down. When I climbed down I heard him bust out of the brush but he didnt go far, I couldnt believe he was still right there? I backed out and let him sit all day before going back to look at about 9pm. After 2 hours and about 10 drops of blood later we decided to back out again til morning. THEN on the way back to the truck I heard the sweet words “There he is!!” He only went 50 yards since the morning and bedded in a blowdown. The only other time I sat this stand was opening day of gun season 2009 and I ironically passed a very wide short tined 8pt and ended up getting the heavy dark racked 8pt pictured below. 2 for 2, you know where I’ll be on this years gun opener

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Great Buck Congrats

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

Nice buck!!!

bthess
    Manly, IA

Very nice deer!

lick

Holy Wide great buck Mark Congrats ! !

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

wow nice buck!!!

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Cool Buck Congrats

coppertop
    Central MN

Way to go! Great looking 8pt. I’d say that stand could be in a decent spot?

umichjesse
    Plymouth

Sweet buck! Those side profiles sure are misleading, good thing he turned around!

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Great buck!!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Congrats Mark, Awesome buck!!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Beautiful deer Mark.

shednut
    22 feet up

You definitely found the killing tree! Congrats on the great buck

AUGUSTWEST
    BUFFALO, MN

Holley WIDE!!

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Thanks for the nice comments! Its always fun to share the story and a few pics with the guys! Good luck in the upcoming weeks!!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Congrats Mark. Way to go.

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

A friend that I hunt with emailed me this picture from last year that was taken on the property. Cool to see how much they grow each year! That was taken on July 8th, 2009

lick

Good stuff Mark

It’s great to collect some history with a buck and see how they grow

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Yeah, I had alot of pictures of it from the year before too but deleted all of them because he was a 17″ 8pt with 3 inch tines
    Note to self: Always keep one picture of each buck!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congratulations Mark! That is a great looking buck! It sounds like you have found the right tree!

CaptainKrow
    Faribault MN

Very nice Congrats

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.