270 WSM Ammo / Blood trail Issue

• ferny
    Stillwater, MN

The reason I quit using Federal Premium greentip Nosler ballistic tips was the bullet never exited on my 2 pie plate deer shots! There was also an issue of a lot of bloodshot meat on the rear shoulder. Neither one had any sausage meat left! It did explode ballistically though!

Ferny.

whittsend

Quote:

For shooters that attempt better accuracy, this is a great option. My dad and I have a contest to see who can shoot the tightest group. He’s winning with a 1 9/16″ group at 300 yards. My uncle has him beat with a 1 7/16″ group at 300 yards. Best I’ve done so far is 1 3/4″ at 300. I’ll get them yet.

Is that the best you can do???

LOL… SHEESH, thats some good shootin!!!

Seriously, great post guys. Always love reading about bullets, ballistics, and deer. Love reading and calculating ballistics tables, too. Keep the posts coming!

Mike

browningbeater

two suggestions , try 150 gr federal fusions ( cheaper and accurate in my 270 wsm ) , adjust your shot placement . as everyone else has stated the hump shot is exremely effective . another very effective shot is the direct shoulder shot , as in directly in the broadside shoulder , directly in the shoulder with a 3/4 facing shot , and lining up the vertical crosshair with the off leg in a 3/4 away shot . all puncture vitals, hit solid bone and prevent running by destroying shoulder bone , ligament , tendons and muscle.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

By far, IMO, the most interesting thread of the season. Always been a factory load guy too and was always a double lung-heart shooter…..not any more! As far as my 270. goes, wouldn’t trade it for anything, the most reliable, accurate gun that I own.
    I will be making a switch to the Barnes cartridge for next season and as far as that high “hump” shot goes, I was fortunate to try it just a few days after reading this post, this buck didn’t know what hit him, very quick and humane results.

Thanks to all who contributed their time and knowledge on these subjects, you just made my deer hunting experience all the more exciting

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Great info Guys.

I should have read this before SD.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I almost forgot this thread. I recovered my Accubond from the buck I shot this year. First non-pass through. I’ll take a pic of it tonight and shre the story.

jeff-rudy
    Rosemount, MN

This has been a great post, very informative. I thought I’d share my (limited) experience with ballistic tips. Last year I got the chance to hog hunt on a buddy’s ranch down in South Texas, and to return the favor I cleaned all the hogs and deer shot in camp that week. One guy was using Federal ballistic tip ammo, and every deer and hog he shot was a mess. No one exit wound, bullet literally exploded on impact, and multitudes of scattered exit wounds from bullet fragments. Shot placement didn’t seem to matter, and this was with a 30-06. I ended up shooting a couple hogs with a borrowed .270 and ballistic tips, and one of the hogs I spine shot and had the same result – shattered spine, but shattered bullet and no real exit wound. Don’t think I’ll be using ballistic tips for hunting in the future, though they are mighty accurate.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Here is a pic of my Accubond I recovered from my buck. Shot was probably 50-60 yards, quartering toward me. Bullet entered left front shoulder, smashing through shoulder, through both lungs, breaking two ribs on the off side and ending up lodged just under the hide. Deer ran about 60 yards and crashed dead. Certainly did it’s job.

Was a pretty nice mushroom still, I don’t have anything to weigh it, but it looks about 2/3rds to half or so is left if I had to guess.

It’s a 140 grain 270 bullet.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The deer season ammo post reminded me of this old post. Lots of ammo and shot placement info. In this old post. I thought I’d bring it back to life. Maybe some newer members will get some knowledge out of it

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Neck shots lol. My Great Grandfather always used to swear by the neck shots too. I’ll pass and stick to the bigger target where the vitals are.

I’ve been using the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip for about a decade now. Prior to that I was using the Federal Premium stuff in ballistic rounds (can’t remember exactly which one it was). It is true that with longer shots, you don’t get an exit hole in the deer, which reduces the chances for a blood trail. With closer shots, there is an exit hole though. I’ve never not recovered a deer, and some of my shots are a long ways off (up to 400 yards). I always use a leaner when I shoot, as there are good branches or the rail of my stand to brace on.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Neck shots lol.

The hunting public has an episode or two on neck shots with a bow. In the right scenario it’s a very deadly ethical shot, and with a gun there are even more of those scenarios.

Good thread bump Thumper, interesting read!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks for bumping this Thumper I had not read it and enjoyed. Great info. I use a 30-06 and have always shot the blue box federal ammo. Last couple deer had totally different results but it was shot placement for sure. First was a buck that came in slow and I was able to get a perfect heart shot on him at 50 yards and there was so much blood it looked like a crime scene in the movies, he dropped 20-30 yards away in a big crash. 2 years ago I shot a big doe on the move and hit her a little further back and high and got a lung shot, could tell I hit her good from her reaction, I waited a good while then went to look for blood. Could not find a drop. Started heading where I thought she went and could not find anything. All the sudden I see a couple other does she was with and found her dead a bit deeper in the woods than expected. Without those other does cluing me in I may not have found her.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The hunting public has an episode or two on neck shots with a bow. In the right scenario it’s a very deadly ethical shot, and with a gun there are even more of those scenarios.

I don’t question whether its a deadly ethical shot. I just question my own accuracy skills. Significantly smaller target than the vitals. Its simply natural for me to aim for the vitals because I’ve been doing it for 28 years now, with 100% recovery results. Aim small, miss small I guess.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Interesting read from 2009. I missed this one back then.

I shoot a couple 270wsm, and I’m 100% barnes tsx for bullets. I load my own, so I have more control of consistency. Of everything I have tried, 140gr bullets stabilize the best for me. I stay away from ANY fragmenting bullet. Hate them!

We had one elk a few years ago with no blood trail for 200ish yrds. A chunk of lung about the size of a softball was sucked between the flank and hide and plugged the exit hole. Otherwise, get get perfect performance out of that cartridge with barnes bullets

Attachments:
    1. 1DE44C24-3576-456E-AA87-A893F65D78EC.jpeg

2. FF6E6FE7-3F1F-4C9F-B41B-3B1BC98FC11A.jpeg

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Here are two recovered Ballistic Silver Tips. One was removed from the heart of a buck I shot from 10 feet away. It was at the base of my stand eating some clover. Took me a while to get in position to shoot. As you can see it didn’t pass thru. Mushroomed just fine. 30-06 150 grain.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20220816_133432530-scaled.jpg

2. PXL_20220816_133406899-scaled.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It may be possible that those Ballistic silver tips have been changed and improved since 2009. I know at that time they had mostly poor result reviews when I researched it. Since the original post I’ve used both the Trophy Bonded and the Barnes Tsx and have had excellent performance with both. I current have 4 boxes loaded with the Barnes Tsx and thats what I’ll be using for the near future.

deertracker

Does anyone have a list of what companies load for the Barnes TSX bullet?
    DT

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

One thing a lot of folks don’t realize is that bullet construction (cup & core vs. bonded vs. mono) and velocity play a WAY bigger role in bullet performance, penetration, etc. vs caliber or shot distance.

More often than not, with softer bullets (core lokt, ballistic tip, hornady interlock, etc) the closer the shot is, the more aggressively that bullet will expand, which will definitely disrupt more tissue but decrease the chance of it holding together or passing through. Now you shoot that same bullet at 300+ yards where it has dropped a few hundred FPS and that bullet will hold together better, which generally leads to better penetration.

In short, if you want the highest chance of a bullet holding together and exiting at close-ish range (less than 200 yards) shoot a mono or bonded bullet.

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.