Deer shotgun – 12g or 20g?

• 311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I am looking to get a new shotgun with a rifled barrel, to use strictly for deer hunting in the north metro. I was up at Gander last night just browsing the options and the guy at the counter said the 20g would be the better gun for my intended use. If I remember correctly he might have said something about better accuracy and less kick (I can’t remember exactly what he said)?

Anyone have any insight on if a 20g would be better than a 12g for hunting deer? All my shots will be 100 yard or less, and probably more in the 30-60 range in most situations.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It will be interesting to hear some knowledgeable reply’s. I have wondered the same thing but cant imagine why bigger wouldn’t be better in this situation.
    Seems like I’ve hear a lot of Iowaegians mention 20’s being better for some reason??

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I went through this last year when buying a slug gun. My brother and I both bought H&R Slug Hunters. He got 12g I got 20g. I believe the 12G will shoot flatter at distance. Both guns shoot dang accurate to 150yards and we both dropped deer dead in their tracks last fall at around 70-90 yards.

I bought a 20g because I like 20, most my other shotguns are 20g as well.

With a good scope, time, and a plethora of different ammo to try – you’ll find the combo and either will be a good gun.

Different strokes for different folks.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve heard various arguments for/against 20 gauges as slug guns. Here’s generally what it comes down to.

A plastic shotgun hull and a shotgun barrel will only sustain so much pressure, so there are limits in play here on the propellant side. If you look a the “Dram Equivalent” rating and the FPS of various slugs, the 12 gauge and the 20 are virtually identical for this reason.

But of course the 20 gauge is generally going to be a lighter slug and by virtue of it’s lower frontal profile, it MAY have a better BC. Sometimes. Maybe. Now this can get pretty weird, pretty quickly with sabots and other deals, but just sticking with normal “round nose” solid slugs, a 12 gauge might be 1 oz while a 20 might be 3/4 in the same brand/type from a given manufacturer.

So pushing slugs with the same powder at the same muzzle velocity, will sometimes give the 20 an advantage as far as flatter trajectory. But all this is highly dependent on what slug from what manufacturer and shot out of which gun.

As you can see, this whole argument comes down to what they say in the car ads: Your mileage may vary.

What I do buy into is what I think Pete is pointing to. Can there be any doubt that the 20 is MUCH more pleasant to carry? Slim, light, fast pointing, much more rifle-like than big, boxy 12.

It is to my detriment, I’m sure, but these are the reasons that I LOVE to carry a 20, or a 16, instead of a 12 for bird hunting.

Grouse

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’d think the 20 gauge would be better due to the smaller grain of slug – Less mass and less drag should equal better accuracy I’d think. I think nowadays they can put almost as much powder in a 20 Gauge shell as in a 12 Gauge. I believe the grain on most 20 Gauge slugs is in the 230-260 grain range. That is still a big chunk of lead to get the job done.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

What I do buy into is what I think Pete is pointing to. Can there be any doubt that the 20 is MUCH more pleasant to carry? Slim, light, fast pointing, much more rifle-like than big, boxy 12.

Yep – exactly. And honestly from what I found, whatever caliber you select – finding the correct ammo for it is far more important. I dropped around $150 on slugs after purchasing the gun. It’s amazing how horrible my gun can shoot with some sabots and how accurate it shoots with others.

100 yards from a bench

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0907.jpg

2. IMG_0441.jpg

sjhauge
    Elgin, MN

20 gauge all the way…..why get beat up by a 12. I’ve had good luck with Hornady slugs.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I think today’s sabot ammunition has helped the 20 gauge turn the corner and has made them a reasonable weapon out to 100 yards or so. I personally feel that the bullets in a sabot of 20 gauge loses too much energy to be killing clean on an average deer-sized target, but inside that range they’ll smoke.

The advent of the rifled barrel and sabot ammunition has been a serious lift to the sport of deer hunting where shotgun only is allowed whether a 20 or a 12. Sabot use in muzzle loaders has made those arms something else too.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Posts like this show the stigma of the old days is beginning to fade. 10 or 15 years ago, 12gage all the way. With the enhancements made in ammo for shotguns over the last decade, there is little difference between the ballistics of a 12 or 20. Personally, I think a 20 kicks more because you typically have less weight. But that aside, are you going to notice the difference at point of kill? No.

Like Pete’s pic above, 20g has rifle like accuracy and 150 yrds of range is now common.

cboutdoors
    Rochester,MN

Just found a Savage 220 on sale at Scheels in Omaha,NE. Can’t wait to get that thing to the range and run a few rounds through it. I am sure it will be much more accurate than my smoothbore Browning A5 12ga.

jerry b
    western WI

Love my 20, I’ve had deer in so close and behind me that I held it out like a handgun and touched one off. Never dropped it—or missed. Doesn’t have a scope but have knocked’m down hard at 60+ yds. Nothing special, little cheapie Remington pump, iron sights and a slug barrel. applause jerr

pass0047
    Pool4

Love my savage 220 20 gauge. Puts a pretty tight group at 150 yards but pretty picky on which ammo it likes to shoot.

My daughter says its hers since she has shot 2 deer with 2 shots. I have yet to shoot at a deer with it. She’s fourteen now and reminds me that she supplies the meat for the family.

steve-o
    Des Moines, IA

I love my Savage 220. They recommend two different sabots for the gun in the literature that came with it. I tried them both and it did prefer one over the other. Before I bought the Savage I used my Mossberg 500 with the rifled barrel. That thing kicked like a mule.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I am sure it will be much more accurate than my smoothbore Browning A5 12ga.

I too have been toiling with the thoughts of “Lighting my (weight) load”.
    I have been using a Browning 1956 A 5, 12gauge, w/ a Bushnell HOLO Sight Gen II.

I’m the one that is put out on the outer posts, being known for my range. I would like to “go on a diet!” LOL!

I hunt deer only 1 but less than 3 part days a year, and fill at least 2 tags. I’m not trying to be headie, just is how it happens.

I’ve been think’in a 20 gauge semi auto.,,,, Beretta vs Benelli ?

castle-rock-clown

I’ve heard of some states out east allowing straight wall cartridges, 44 mag, 45 70, 45 colt, 444 and 450 marlin in traditionally shotgun only areas. Is there any talk of that for the Minnesota shotgun areas?

big_g
    Isle, MN

either one will serve for 60 yard shots in the north metro hunts waytogo if it’s only for slug hunting, get the 20ga. this brings up the question for me… anybody using a 20ga for grouse ? what shot ? your thoughts on it ? grin

Timmy

… anybody using a 20ga for grouse ? what shot ? your thoughts on it ? grin

What would you like to know? I shoot a couple of different 20’s for grouse. standard el-cheapo game loads. When federal game loads go on sale for $5/box, I buy several. 7-1/2 shot is about all I buy. Grouse/woodcock are weak – a pellet or two should slow them down enough for the dog to get them )

I shoot a benelli ultra-lite 20 which doubles as my pheasant gun as well(heavier 3″ loads and I have no problems killing birds) and a browning citori super-light feather in 20(this dainty little o/u is only chambered in 2-3/4″ and is a sole purpose gun – and it is my favorite on grouse). Both guns are under 6lbs and nice to carry.

To be honest, I have not fired my 12’s in several years(and see no need to in the near future either.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

… this brings up the question for me… anybody using a 20ga for grouse ? what shot ? your thoughts on it ? grin

I use 20 gauges 95% of the time for upland birds. The 20 is just so nice to carry and I don’t feel the extra pellet count of a 12 gives me any advantage under normal conditions. Throwing extra pellets where the bird isn’t is just missing with more shot.

For grouse/woodcock I like Winchester’s low-base heavy upland load in #7.5. I hope they’re still making this excellent grouse load, I’m working my way through some boxes I bought years ago.

For pheasant, I love Federal’s Premium and Fiocci’s Golden Pheasant. Both have hard plated shot either copper or nickel, which provides terrific penetration on those going-away birds . I’ve always been impressed with Premium and Golden Pheasant loads.

Grouse

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I love Federal’s Premium and Fiocci’s Golden Pheasant.

X2 for sure.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’m another 20ga proponent. I own 4. A single shot for the youth of the family and a trio of pumps. One is an Ithaca Deer Slayer and is used for deer only. 24″ rifled barrel, synthetic camo stock, matte blue finish……. and it loves Fed. Premium Sabots. I’ve dropped a couple of deer with it and I just can’t imagine why I’d ever need a 12ga. instead. I put a red dot sight on it and use it as my swamp walker. Close range and heavy cover = fast action and I like the way those heavy, pumpkin like bullets will plow through anything if they incidentally need to!

I used to work for Fleet Farm in the Sporting Goods department and I remember hearing guys at the gun counter telling anyone that would listen that a 20 ga. didn’t have enough power to put a deer down. I remember shaking my head and thinking, “What are you doing that makes you think a 20ga is underpowered?”.

I do agree that the gun has a little recoil and I’m glad I hunt in a rifle zone where 243 or 30-30 options are available for more recoil sensitive shooters. But other than that, I think my 20ga slugger fits it’s purpose perfectly!

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

20g is all you need and easier to find.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

From what I have seen 1st hand the 20g is a very good deer gun. I have never hunted with a 20, but I have seen what they can do both on paper and in the field. When sighting in with friends that were shooting 20s, they had better groups than any of the 12s an The 20s groups held up when shooting out to 150yds.! As far as in the field hunting with my good friend Dean Marshall he always shot a 20 and swears by them. Only one time over the years when hunting with Dean did he shoot twice. When you heard a shot from Dean there was a dead deer. . .Dean is a very good shot with a rifle, but he sure sucks at shooting ducks.!! LOL. rrr

jig4em

I know this is an older thread but I was researching the same thing for a few months – 12 or 20 gauge. I asked a very good friend of mine who has many years experience in both deer and duck hunting. He highly suggested the 20 gauge for many of the reasons given above.
    I did end up getting the Mossberg 500 Deer and Field in 20 gauge. It came with the smooth bore barrel (and 3 chokes), the rifled cantilevered barrel and a scope. I’m very happy with my decision. Good luck !

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.