BFishN Tackle DRAGGIN’ JIGS!

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I notice the plastics keeper is on the inside of the shank. Out of curiosity, was there some theory behind that decision?

The hook has a small bend in the shank to ensure that the lead doesn’t spin or break lose from the hook and that bend extends down from the shank of the hook taking up space at the bottom of the jig that would make it impossible to run the bait keeper on the bottom.

So since we couldn’t put it on the bottom we put it on the top side. I don’t believe it is possible to snag that wire on anything to the point where you could hang up the jig but it would catch small debris or gunk. In this weedless application having that keeper on top of the hook and behind the head made the most sense.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I notice the plastics keeper is on the inside of the shank. Out of curiosity, was there some theory behind that decision?

The hook has a small bend in the shank to ensure that the lead doesn’t spin or break lose from the hook and that bend extends down from the shank of the hook taking up space at the bottom of the jig that would make it impossible to run the bait keeper on the bottom.

So since we couldn’t put it on the bottom we put it on the top side. I don’t believe it is possible to snag that wire on anything to the point where you could hang up the jig but it would catch small debris or gunk. In this weedless application having that keeper on top of the hook and behind the head made the most sense.

Crankbait

It’s all in the details!

Even though it sounds like this jig is designed with a specific technique in mind, has anyone experimented with other applications as well? Although the Precision Jig is THE jig for pitching, I know I won’t be able to resist taking a few casts with this new weedless design towards some heavy snags just to try it.

Another quick question if you guys have a minute is what weights will these be offered in?

Thanks,
    Chris

Crankbait

It’s all in the details!

Even though it sounds like this jig is designed with a specific technique in mind, has anyone experimented with other applications as well? Although the Precision Jig is THE jig for pitching, I know I won’t be able to resist taking a few casts with this new weedless design towards some heavy snags just to try it.

Another quick question if you guys have a minute is what weights will these be offered in?

Thanks,
    Chris

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Quote:

I was wondering this as well. Along with colors?

Thanks.

JD

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Quote:

I was wondering this as well. Along with colors?

Thanks.

JD

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

For now (this season) I will have the 1/16 oz only..next season there should be 1/8 and 1/4 oz in production…

Colors will be Black, Blue, Orange, Sour Apple and Orange Chartreuse….and maybe Sunburst…

The limit to the applications of this jig is only limited to your imagination

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

For now (this season) I will have the 1/16 oz only..next season there should be 1/8 and 1/4 oz in production…

Colors will be Black, Blue, Orange, Sour Apple and Orange Chartreuse….and maybe Sunburst…

The limit to the applications of this jig is only limited to your imagination

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

There is no doubt the precision head is the best darn jig out there for pitching plastics but this jig was designed not only for dragging but exactly what you mention above. I have rigged plastics woodless/weedless with bass gear for many years. All though doing this has worked well for many years in high water and woody areas I have yet to see jigs that are geared toward the walleye fisherman like this jig is. When those fish get high in to the trees pre-spawn and post-spawn this is what will get them out much better than conventional bass gear.

Needless to say i am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 1/8 and 1/4oz sizes. Dave, are they going to be done before the high water pre-spawn period this Spring?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

James or Dustin can answer this better but I’ll give my 2 cents. It can be used for pitching but I would expect to have a few more snags that way. The jig is designed to stay in an upright position while dragging. I think that’s a key to reducing snag-ups. When dragging this jig, you’ll want to have the proper amount of line out to keep tension on the jig to keep it upright. If the jig is laying sideways, you’re going to have more hang-ups. While you can certainly pitch it, I would guess it will be a little more difficult to keep the jig upright on the retrieve. I’m only guessing at this point. James? Dustin?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

James or Dustin can answer this better but I’ll give my 2 cents. It can be used for pitching but I would expect to have a few more snags that way. The jig is designed to stay in an upright position while dragging. I think that’s a key to reducing snag-ups. When dragging this jig, you’ll want to have the proper amount of line out to keep tension on the jig to keep it upright. If the jig is laying sideways, you’re going to have more hang-ups. While you can certainly pitch it, I would guess it will be a little more difficult to keep the jig upright on the retrieve. I’m only guessing at this point. James? Dustin?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I dont do much jig draggin. My thoughts where I could get by with some cheap light hooked jigs. Wrong. You still end up spending to much time retying. These draggin jigs are amazing how they get threw the wood and nasty stuff on the bottom. I pulled one threw the wodd for 2 hrs today on pool 2. Did not loose even one jig. Bet that would of been atleast a half dozen regular jigs.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

There is no doubt the precision head is the best darn jig out there for pitching plastics but this jig was designed not only for dragging but exactly what you mention above. I have rigged plastics woodless/weedless with bass gear for many years. All though doing this has worked well for many years in high water and woody areas I have yet to see jigs that are geared toward the walleye fisherman like this jig is. When those fish get high in to the trees pre-spawn and post-spawn this is what will get them out much better than conventional bass gear.

Needless to say i am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 1/8 and 1/4oz sizes. Dave, are they going to be done before the high water pre-spawn period this Spring?

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I dont do much jig draggin. My thoughts where I could get by with some cheap light hooked jigs. Wrong. You still end up spending to much time retying. These draggin jigs are amazing how they get threw the wood and nasty stuff on the bottom. I pulled one threw the wodd for 2 hrs today on pool 2. Did not loose even one jig. Bet that would of been atleast a half dozen regular jigs.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

there will be a huge push to get these done before the spring high water period of ’08..and I’m sure you will be testing out the proto’s when the sample molds are done up…

I can’t thank you enough Dustin for helping out with this jig..I couldn’t have done it with out you

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I can’t thank you enough Dustin for helping out with this jig..I couldn’t have done it with out you

My pleasure Dave.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Dustin, That is GOOD news buddy. I am very pleased to hear my assumptions were wrong about pitching these jigs. If that’s the case, I am certain I will be using these for bass fishing as well as walleye. Great news!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

there will be a huge push to get these done before the spring high water period of ’08..and I’m sure you will be testing out the proto’s when the sample molds are done up…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

My pleasure Dave.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

My pleasure Dave.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Dustin, That is GOOD news buddy. I am very pleased to hear my assumptions were wrong about pitching these jigs. If that’s the case, I am certain I will be using these for bass fishing as well as walleye. Great news!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

micah-witham
    Richfield

sounds like a winner guys, i’ll have to add them to my next order

micah-witham
    Richfield

micah-witham
    Richfield

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

I used the Lindy veg-e-jig almost exclusively last fall on the Iowa River. It worked great, but these look even better. 1/16 is perfect size for us, is there a list of colors available, and can I order online somewhere?

bfishntackle
    Coralville,IA

Nick,

I am looking to have them up online the week of July 9th…

The colors that I will have are

Black

Blue

Orange

Sour Apple

Orange Chart

Gold

Now, not all of them will be available at first as I will get a good supply of each color I bring on..

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 142 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.