Daiwa Ultralight Reel

• Jason Stegenga

I’m really curious to see what people think of the Daiwa Ultralight Reel. I’ve seen Joel Nelson using them in videos, but haven’t seen a lot of discussion regarding these. I’m looking at getting a few more of the Sienna 500, Okuma Ceymar C10, or possibly to try these. I’ll let the discussion begin…

Quinn Howard
    Mounds View

I just got five of the QZ’s and so far so good. Smooth drag, good gearing, the button fold handle, etc. I’ve owned Siennas and Ceymars but so far the new Daiwa’s take the cake for me.

Jason Stegenga

The QZ looks like the nicest 750 size. Any experience with the QG or QR?

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Just sent you a PM on the QR – haven’ used it yet but is smooth has the ability to back reel wt. 6.2oz/5.1:1ratio and $29.95 price.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Picked up a QZ750 a month or so ago when Reeds released the first batch. Only spooled it up but I think it’s going to be one of my new favorites. I have 2 more on backorder. Smooth and really like the quick fold handle. Always irks me taking the time to loosen the handle on my C-10s so I can get them in my Otter Sportsman case. Going to give one the freezer test next week hopefully.

Sylvanboat

But the okuma has the bait feeder feature that looks really good.

tucrs
    NW Metro

I have torn the three models QZ, QG, QR apart. They are good solid reels inside. Drags washers are a stacked three disk style. I have found replacement ones that are being tested right now. I think they are going to be a solid performer like the Okuma C10 and Sienna.

The price levels of each model do increase the bearings but the difference between the QR750 $30 one and the levels up are significant in overall smoothness.

The folding handle is a huge benefit to these.

JB

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m a huge Daiwa fan and want to get one of these. Which size is the ice fishing size? 750?

tucrs
    NW Metro

750 is the new ice size.

I do really like that the big mfg’s are starting to listen to the world of ice.

Sylvanboat

I love Diawa reels too but is the bait feeder feature a reason to buy the Okuma over Daiwa??

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I love Diawa reels too but is the bait feeder feature a reason to buy the Okuma over Daiwa??

Only if you’re putting it on a rod that you deadstick with.

Joe

Land big fish had the QR on sale for $20 and the QG for $28, but both are out of stock now. Who knows if they’ll be back in stock at that price but might be worth checking on at a later date.

Lee

Is the Daiwa QZ reel the same (size, reel handle) as the Jason Mitchell (Clam) 600, as found on a ‘meatstick combo.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.