cwd positive

• Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Bluffland Whitetails has reported the first cwd case of 2018; a buck harvested near Preston on opening weekend has tested positive for cwd. No word yet on how close the proximity is to where the other previous positives have come from. The hunter was issued another buck tag.

outdoorsmn

I also saw this on their FB page. Afraid is going to keep growing and spreading.

thegun
    mn

Test for it you will find it.. its been there for ever.. only threat to the deer from cwd is the damn dnr killing them. Its a great scam and cash cow for the dnr

Pete S

Test for it you will find it.. its been there for ever.. only threat to the deer from cwd is the damn dnr killing them. Its a great scam and cash cow for the dnr

I agree with the testing part, I think it’s way more widespread than people want to believe.

can’t quite figure out how to connect it to a scam and cash cow for the dnr??? WE’ve been dealing with it in SW WI for years and I don’t see how the dnr is getting rich off of it. Help a brother out

outdoorsmn

It may be more widespread than we think, but I don’t believe it has been here ‘forever.’ Minnesota has done significant testing over the last decade with one CWD positive in our wild deer herd before the recent outbreak near Preston.

I would consider it the opposite of a ‘cash cow’ as the DNR is spending millions on CWD monitoring and testing.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Good grief… :???::???::???: I would encourage you to read some actual science behind CWD before blurting out biased opinions.

thegun
    mn

Hey young fry. I have. And what i wrote is Fact not opinion. And as far as dnr spending a fortune. What they spend is a fraction of what the get.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The DNR is evil. How dare they attempt to protect and preserve resources with Science AND common sense?!?

thegun
    mn

Common sense would say dont repeat same mistakes others have made and expect a different outcome!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Common sense would say dont repeat same mistakes others have made and expect a different outcome!

Bingo

The deer was taken just east of Preston.

thegun
    mn

7 out of 700. Tested. 500000 bucks was budget. Test cost 30bucks. Some cost in collecting. Where did rest go.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Oh great gun! Than you also know that the primary reason for outbreaks of CWD is largely to be from captive herds of deer and elk. So why not be angry with the primary cause instead of the people trying to help the situation?

thegun
    mn

Young. Im not sure what the cause is. Or even if there is a socalled outbreak..

Sure they test every deer or suposed to test every deer that is killed or dies over 16months of age in captive deer. So ya your testing nearly 100% of captive deer.

Only recently we started testing wild deer. And sure enouph we find cwd. Testing only started because we found some in captive deer. We have no old samples in mn. Or other states to compare to to prove there is this masive outbreak your so confused about.

So maybe captive deer contract it from wild deer? Im not saying they do. But there is absolutly no prof of a outbreak. And no one can say one way or the other with certainty where it came from.

Its all just opinion. You obviosly showed yours.

Maybe instead of attacking me cuz i mearly said lets not kill all our deer needlessly. Maybe you need to research.

They have plenty of study farms. To collect data from.

My point was maybe keep using common sense on herd management. For what the majority of hunters want.

Sure take samples. Try get accurate # of infected.

Just dont do these blanket zones andtry kill all the deer. This has proven to not work. Period

outdoorsmn

In Pine Island, MN and the state of New York (2005), both agencies took immediate action and prevented the spread/re-occurrence of CWD. Whether that can be replicated in Preston, MN I’m not sure. It’s not looking good but hopefully they can slow the spread, unlike Wisc.

Hey young fry. I have. And what i wrote is Fact not opinion. And as far as dnr spending a fortune. What they spend is a fraction of what the get.

Do you have any facts/proof to back this statement up?

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Not attacking you gun… but I do get tired of the narrative “the DNR doesn’t know what they’re doing and all they do is waste money.” When in reality… the DNR in your state and mine creates countless opportunities for outdoor recreation for you and me and everyone else on this site. Are they perfect? No. Unfortunately there is a lot of outdoorsmen that share your opinion. Most of the people I know working for the DNR are hunters, fisherman, or at the very least like the outdoors. They make management decisions based on sound science. In situations like CWD, we’re only beginning to understand the disease and managing it is fairly complicated. So you may not agree with their management technique… but they aren’t making it up on the fly to waste money. And continually bashing the one organization that is consistently working to better our natural resources doesn’t do any of us any good. Thus the reason for my response… and I will continue to defend the DNR in most cases because I believe it is self-deprecating not to.

basseyes

It is not bad to question authority, no matter how good their intentions seem.

wiswalleye48
    East Troy, WI

There is podcast from Joe Rogan who has a 2 hr panel discussion on CWD it’s very informative show #1154 08/08/18
    Panel is Doug Duran & Bryan Richards

thegun
    mn

Young.. well i understand. Reading a typed message is hard to interpret. But i agree and im for the most part happy with mn dnr. They do have a complicated job. And if we were in the same room having a discussion vs typing. You might have a different interpretation of what im trying to say. And im sure vise versa..

Any who.. . I dont agree with 2 major things and that is our cwd policy. And also our pike regs on nw mn and other areas. But that is another complicated conversation. Lol

I guess. Lets just agree to disagree.

Tight lines and straight arrows

The gun

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Here is a good opportunity for anyone who wants to get more information about CWD. https://www.blufflandwhitetails.com/

Bluffland Whitetails is hosting a free event in Rochester this Saturday Oct, 20th at Willow Creek middle school from 5-8pm, free admission.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

toast You too brother toast

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

If anyone is interested in the seminar but lives a ways away.
    This is probably what you’ll hear.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

The so called experts in the field of researching CWD can not agree about it! After my interactions with the state of Wisconsin’s DNR reps left me ,thinking ,incompetent? I questioned a dnr rep in a public forum about the herd of elk in Mn. that was quarantined and slaughtered. 43 head of elk . One bull which was purchased from another ranch tested positive was found dead initially in the fenced area. Guess what that bull had been in the enclosure for 3 years in close proximity with the 42 other elk and not one of the other elk tested positive ! I asked him how could that be ? Wait for it quote “That has nothing to do with Wisconsin that’s Minnesota” So somehow CWD works different in Minnesota than in Wisconsin ! I sat down in utter disbelief. Another person questioned the DNR rep again and admitted this was the first he had heard of this ! I read the article on the front page of the Pioneer Press.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.