Cutthroat trout or cut-bow?

• Kaila

Thought I caught a cutthroat, now that I look at it I’m not sure. Anyone know? Cutthroat or cut-bow.

Attachments:
    1. image-6-scaled.jpg

2. image-4-scaled.jpg

3. image-5-scaled.jpg

4. image-3-scaled.jpg

Buffalo Fishhead

Thought I caught a cutthroat, now that I look at it I’m not sure. Anyone know? Cutthroat or cut-bow.

What about the mounted fish makes you question your first thoughts?

Was it caught in a water where cutthroats are stocked? Was it a wild fish?

Buffalo Fishhead

Kaila

It was caught at Henerys Lake, Montana. They stock it with brook trout, Cutthroats and Cut-bows, although cut-bows are among the rarer fish in that lake but still possible to catch.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

No matter what it is, it’s a fantastic trophy! waytogo
    Any pics of it alive, pre-mount?

Kaila

Yes I do, but they are photos about an hour of two after we caught them, so the colors are very very faded.

The fish mounted is the one on the left.

Attachments:
    1. 2E72C25F-FFBE-4F0A-A43D-A4A80BA38FE1.jpeg

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Spot pattern looks like a cutthroat. Sounds like cutbows have white fin tips but they’re not visible in the photograph. The mount however is showing a white tip on the anal fin.

dirtywater

I would say cut-bow IF the mount is an accurate representation of what the fish looked like that day when you caught it. The photos don’t show that, but like you said they fade with time. You’ve got a lot of cutthroat features: spot patterns, obvious throat/gill plate coloring, and the white-tipped fin. But then you’ve got the long pink band all the way down the lateral line and to me that screams rainbow.

Kaila

Okay, Thank you. And they did have a long pink band but its very faded in the pre mount photo, only because that photo was taken a couple hours after.

Buffalo Fishhead

Kaila:
    The article link below has some information on rainbow, cutthroat and cut-bows that is interesting, but may not answer your question.

The Difference Between Rainbow, Cutthroat, and Cut-Bow Trout

Buffalo Fishhead

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.