OK, who took all the walleyes!

• mike t
    St Paul, MN

Who’s got a good theory on where all the eye’s are these days?

Been out a couple times in the last week, hoping these cold temps would bring on the usual fall bite, save for a few saugers and small eyes, we’ve been coming up empty.

We have thrown everything but the kitchen sink at them, tried the night casting bite over shallow rock/sand, nothing. Pulled 3 ways, nothing. Back to the trusty vertical jig bite with jiggin’ raps, zips, etc..nothing. traditionally the 50 degree mark has ushered in the deep water bite, but I’m stumped. My guess is we’ll get a short flurry of crazy activity, then it’ll be over.

I’m wishing for the fall of 2000, one evening I witnessed 4 30″ plus fish caught by the 4 boats out that night. One on my boat (I was net boy) taped out at just over 30″ and had to push 11lbs, it looked like a damn salmon it was so fat. Where are they??

One bonus has been a number of BIG smallies picked up trolling over the 20-30′ breaks, we got one just under 20″ on sunday afternoon.

mikeT

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I wish I knew, different boat, same story. I am hoping to get out this weekend and toss some plastics around. I think all my raps are bored from being dragged around and not getting chased by anything.

dustytoms

They all went South for the winter ,

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well, I’ve been out everyday…or evening since last Thursday or Friday.
    Saturdat I went down to Prescot for the bite there. I must not have the touch, because all the saugers I caught wouldn’t have filled a sardine can.

Now Sunday evening a freind brought home five respectable fish. I think one was an ‘eye but don’t recall for sure. I can’t post when, where or what he was using because my boat might not be in one piece when I wake up in the morning.

Monday, I was 3 waying with a shad rap in the (strong) wind. I trolled for about 2 1/2 hours, but landed four keepers. Three FAT saugers around 15-16 and one ‘eye at 15 1/4….hey, I’m hungry for fish! The first sauger was shorter, but please refer to the last sentance.
    Tuesday I was set to kill ’em. Sleet, rain, wind….it didn’t matter…The bite was on! Went home with my tail between my legs with two silvers boated. HAS doesn’t allow me to count them. I should mention most of the silvers are a healthy size and give a good fight. I didn’t use a scale, but the ones I caught had to have been 3 plus pounds. Biggest silvers I’ve ever seen! One of the river rats said he had a few that would be in the four pound range…but I didn’t see them.

Went out today for about 2 hours or so. I’m glad that I had my digital camara along so I could review the photos in it. I forgot what an ‘eye looked like! Two more silvers and an old plug with the hooks rusted off.

I’m giving these fish until this weekend, if they don’t start coming around, I’m going to put the boat away and start practicing casting jigs. Anyone have an 8×10 picture of Stillakid2?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Anyone have an 8×10 picture of Stillakid2?

While this may do wonders for your motivation, I hardly expect it to have a profound effect on your motor skills!

Now…………did you come out here to play or should I get the Kleenex now? (poke, poke…….dare, dare)

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Brian, better stay clear, the KID usually is in rare and articulate form. .. Jack.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Down Boy!!… *sit*!!!!……
    yez jus gotta know how to handle the pup.. thats all…. but I WILL say over the years hes been on the board… hes lost his puppy teeth… and his bite is correspondingly sharper with his “new” teeth… meanwhile.. Im more like that toothless walleye that was reported out of the root river…

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Yo Rivereyes – From your picture I see you are sporting a new look. Is this just a Halloween look or can we expect to see you flying down the St Croix with your TuTu blowing in the breeze. I bet you did something to tick off ecnook again, didn’t you?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Hey hey guys……….I’m not here to bust Brian’s chops………..but “pups” love to play and sometimes we miscalculate the nips and things get a bit rough.

To Brian’s credit, he may not be a casting mentor but he’s got the trolling thing down to a science! In fact, I’ll bet that if you stuck a picture of me amidst some rip rap he could SNAG IT every time!

……………….I’m getting a rock in my trick or treat bag!

Rivereyes………….is that get up Rodman or RuPaul? Anyway, Halloween ain’t scary enough to handle it! Yeesh!!!! Makes me shake more than a shock collar set to turbo zap!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yep… ECNOOK at it again!.. he actually changed me several times real quick in the depths of the night…. and settled on this…. maybe I will be out of the “doghouse” and back in shape before long!…

geeez Pup.. I dunno who I am anymore!.. I change to fast to keep up with!..

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

RuPaul let me see what I can find

chappy
    Hastings, MN

ecnook, How’s the audit coming??? Working hard on it? Man ,I wish I had your time at work!!!!LOL

dustytoms

who took the walleyes ? I crossed the 94 bridge yesterday , quite a number of boats south of bridge , anyone hear if they were catching any thing ? Or were they drowning minnows
    dustytoms

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Jez, I’ve been out of town for a few days and didn’t get my two cents worth in.

I didn’t make it as far north as the bridge. From talking to a few rats, last weekend you could get decent size fish, but you wouldn’t get them all in one spot.

Rivereyes, today is the best pic I’ve seen of you yet….bar none! (it’s blank)

Yes the kid and I spar often, but never take off the gloves. He’s a good guy, no matter what I say behind his back. Although it does take motor skills to get a rap out of a tree limb too. He’s just upset because he had to duck when it came flying out…come to think of it you were ducking alot.
    Each time I go fishing with someone I learn something new. This is true with Ken also….you can’t troll everywhere! Although I was trolling last Saturday. The last fish I caught before puting the boat away was…well the picture will tell the story….

Mr. Stillapup2….eat your heart out! 10 lbs on the deliar baby!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Wow!…………….NIce……………..pucker dude! A white face and a star in one eye and you’d have the best Paul Stanley in town!!!

Glad you kissed it once for me………….ain’t had a sheeper on the palate all year! Now, all you gotta do is get those results pitchin’ a shoreline and I won’t have to duck so much!

Nice to see action returning to your boat!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.