‘Croix Smallies

• steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Hit the bass opener on the ‘Croix this morning and it was smokin’! Rip rap areas was where these fish were stacked and they were hungry!

Jerkbaits thrown close to rocks and slip bobbered leeches put over 10 legal in the boat. (all released) Caught between 6:30 A and 8:30A

If you get a chance and want some fast smallie action hit the ‘Croix. Fishing out of Hudson. Biggest was 17.5″

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Steve O, I gotta pic you will have to see. I pitched a twister tail up along the shore in Prescott, and pulled out a 17″ smallie. Sounds like you are having some fun!

Tuck

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I’d like to see it. The day after you took us out we were pitching the same area (I think?) with 3″ Chart. twisters and hit a couple of 15″er’s. they were just tearin’ ’em up. thought it was a matter of time before some of the good ones came up.

17″ is NICE smallie.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Whereabouts were you SteveO? I was on the Croix all Saturday morning with my old drummer! We were in a Northwoods Classic with a Johnson 35. We did venture around a bit but spent 2/3 of our time around the Hudson channel. We caught sucker, white bass, walleye, smallie, sheepshead, crappie……..all on jig pitchin’ with half a crawler on breaks. Quite the smorgasboard day!

I didn’t understand the COLD SOUTH wind though!!! Weirdest thing I can remember in years! A COLD SOUTH WIND! Just when I think I’ve seen it all!

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

didn’t venture onto the main channel. I’ll pm you for the location. I’m heading out again for the evening bite.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I forgot to add that I caught my first ‘Croix bluegill. that was quite a shocker. it was pretty good sized. I’ve heard that there’s a few in there but it’s the first time for me.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

just wanted to bump this up. get out and try for some of the ‘Croix smallies! I was putzing’ around from shore this morning and the bass were going crazy. the temps are climbing and so is the activity. I caught a little rockie and 2 piggy bass followed it in trying to rip it off my hook! they’re on top, they’re by the rocks, they’re all over the place.

Caught my first largemouth also. can’t wait to get out in the boat this weekend. should be awesome

bait_caster
    Spring Valley, Wis.

If it’s gills you are looking for on the Croix, they can be had very easy south of the Kinni on the Wisconsin side. Fish the points and flats with some weed. These fish are actually so big you can catch them with 4″ worms, and little cranks. Very seldom do you see a small bluegill out here. Have Fun!!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

hmmmm monster gills… now theres something Ive not found on the croix… though there are some pretty big crappies.. I just cant find an every year spot for the crappies….. I seem to find them for a year or two.. then they move….. (no.. Im NOT one of those guys who catches them ALL, kills them ALL… and THEN wonders.. hmmmm where are they?? those guys usually have to just open their freezer to answer THAT question…! lol)……….

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

BC,

that bluegill was a bit of a surprise. sounds like you fish the ‘Croix quite a bit. keep posting!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.