Had a visitor last weekend……

• Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

at Big Mac. I took a few pics and watched him for a while, that is until he tried to get in my boat. I’m pretty sure he was a bull snake but after hearing another boat had to kill a rattle snake that was in their boat I was a little nervous.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Looks like a bullsnake to me.

Lucky I wasn’t with you…we would be patching holes in your boat right now!

I’ve heard of bullsnakes attacking bobbers and trying to get into boats…I’m not looking forward to the day one tries.

Last night the lock operator said there was a rattler on the wall of the lock. I’m glad he told me after we past it!!

PS I heard they taste like…walleye.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

I had to kill a rattler last year at Big Mac. It was sitting under my truck after we got back to camp from a few hours of fishing. I opened the door to my truck to put the boat keys back and I heard it start to rattle.

jerry b
    western WI

Quote:

Lucky I wasn’t with you…we would be patching holes in your boat right now!

Had it been me, there would have been two people in this world that walked on water. I grew up around those things and still squeek like a little girl. Ya BK, I know- -SALLY! jerr

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

It’s a Northern Water Snake.Bull Snakes can and will swim but,only when they have to.Bull Snakes are not agressive unless cornered and Northern Water Snakes can be very agressive.

crammit
    United States

where’s big mac?

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Quote:

where’s big mac?

Western Nebraska (Lake McConaughy)

mstrumar

Quote:

Last night the lock operator said there was a rattler on the wall of the lock. I’m glad he told me after we past it!!

Not a good thing to mention right before my sunny vacation BK… we had snakes around Memorial weekend.. had to convince Katey (our 3 year old) they were Giant Water Worms

chadmayer
    Gretna, NE

Nice pic! I was anchored on a Omaha Lake last year pitching jigs toward the shore. I looked down at the water and there was a snake heading right for the back of the boat. It was only a couple feet away. I jumped to the front of the boat and started it and got out of there rather quickly!! One problem – I was still anchored
    Another time, I was with my uncle on Lake Ray Roberts in Texas. We were in his pontoon boat and we were a few hundred yards from shore. We were headed in for the night and got stuck in some mud in a couple feet of water. I looked down in the water and a huge snake went in between the pontoons. I am scared to death of snakes! My uncle jumps in and trys to push us off the mud. He tried and tried! I knew he wouldn’t be able to do it by himself. After a few minutes, I finally got in the water and helped him get the boat off the mud. I don’t think I’ve ever been so scared!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.