Cold Weather /4 stroke Outboard Motor

• empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

Headed to LOTW this weekend, planning on keeping the boat at the dock overnight. Do I have anything to worry about with the overnight below freezing forecast . I know the lower end is good in the water, but not sure about the top end.
    Typically have pulled the boat in the past and ran the water out.

Musky Ed

Off hand I wouldn’t think so. When you watch some of those Alaska shows, you never see them doing anything special. Just make sure when you pull it out you drain it well. I might even tilt the motor up and down a few times to be sure. A few years back I used to musky fish up to freeze up, and never had an issue with motor freeze up. I did though learn to carry a bucket of sand mixed with sidewalk salt with, for the boat ramps. If some one came or left before you, the ramp would be iced over, and without the sand, it would have been really hard to pull the boat out. You need salt mixed in the sand, or it will freeze in the bucket.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Bring a spud bar / ice chisel in case your harbor freezes in tight. Other than that, your motor should be fine.

-J.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Motor will drain when not running, except the part that is submerged of course. So, you should be OK. Good luck.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Motor will drain when not running, except the part that is submerged of course. So, you should be OK. Good luck.

This is what I was told 4 years ago at a resort in Sioux Lookout. 4 nights in the water with freezing temps and no problems. The only change was a friends Verado needed more warmup time than usual.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.