Cold and ATV

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

i have a can-am and never had starting issues with a good battery in cold weather. then again i usually dont go out when its bitter cold. been there done that. bad things happen when its that cold.!

milemark_714

It would be interesting to see what brands/models fare the best in cold weather?Seems like Honda and Yamaha have the least problems?Looking at getting an ATV,and hear lots of mixed results.Like stay away from Polaris,blah blah.

Maybe a lot of the problems occur with improper maintenance?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’ve started my Polaris at -20 actual, after sitting all night. I have noticed, that in sub zero weather, it’s best on my machine to turn the key to on (but not engage the starter) when you do this you can hear a soft whining noise (assuming fuel pump as others in this thread has mentioned) and then turn the key all the way to start after about 5 seconds.

Charles

2003 arctic cat 300, yeah anything below 10 you are screwed lol. I have been meaning to try the double battery since I am going to be adding a plow to it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I keep my plow atv outside. But I have easy access to AC power and a built in hose heater. I plug it in for an hour or so in the winter and it will start easy in any temperature.
    I have not used it in the field much but when I did I would just start it once in a while.

Dave maze
    Isanti

ALL my problems happen at or below -20. I would really like my wheeler to be reliable at those temps! Cars start, snowmobiles too, what’s different?

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

Ive had the relay problem as well. It happened to me out on the ice. It took a minute to diagnose. I had no extra relay. I swapped the fuel pump relay for the head light relay. Fired right up. Got back to land and switched the relays back. Fired right up. Its happened since then as well. I carry a spare, but sometimes just taking the relay out and putting it right back in works. My relay box is easily accessed under the seat.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

ALL my problems happen at or below -20. I would really like my wheeler to be reliable at those temps! Cars start, snowmobiles too, what’s different?

2 stoke sleds start fairly well in cold but I was up north last weekend on the border in the 20+ below stuff and new 4-stroke sleds were being jumped left and right in the morning to get them running. Both of my 2-strokes fired right up.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Depending on where your battery is located….. I wonder if a guy could take some of those cheap hand warmers in a pouch, shake them up and get them warm and put by the battery

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

I run Amsoil Synthetic 0W-40 oil and carry a NoCo GB40 bump pack.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

It would be interesting to see what brands/models fare the best in cold weather?Seems like Honda and Yamaha have the least problems?Looking at getting an ATV,and hear lots of mixed results.Like stay away from Polaris,blah blah.

I just bought a new Yamaha Kodiak 700. They were offering some awesome deals on the 2018s in December. So far it has been good in the cold, but I haven’t had to really test it yet. Just 0 degree type of stuff. I should’ve pulled it out of the garage last night and let it sit out to test.

I bought a Yamaha because everything Yamaha I have ever had has been very reliable. Same could be said about Honda.

I will say that the Polaris Titan snowmobiles that we have been running the past two years for the show are the nicest utility snowmobiles I have ever used!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I have the Yami Griz with EFI. I found that the trick on tring to start it when its really cold is to turn the key on, wait a second, then pump the throttle 20 to 30 times.
    It doesn’t matter what oil I use or how many batteries I have hooked up. It’s the fuel relay the doesn’t like to work very hard when it’s below 0.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Pat,
    I have the same machine but mine is a ’16. The only problems I have had so far in cold was when it down to some extreme cold up in Winnipeg sitting over night and needed to throw a jump charger on it in the morning for a while.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

2009 Honda Foreman TRX500FM. Never had a problem with starting in cold temps. It’s generally more cold blooded then other ATV’s we run but it’s the only one (other than our other Honda) that starts any time, all the time (kinda like my Mercury outboard LOL). Recently purchased a new Polaris Sportsman’s…I can’t believe Polaris even made these things and even more disappointed we got one.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I bought a 2017 Suzuki King Quad 750 EFI last year as a holdover at a dealership in the metro that was offering some impressive instant rebates. This is the first winter I’ve fished with it and had it up north of Duluth this weekend where is was between -20 and -30 after the sun went down. It started up every morning. In fairness I did have it on a tender all night (and whenever I park it), and I did have to hold in the throttle about 1/4 to get it to stay running but it started strong. I am a firm believer in using the battery tender when I park it, regardless of how long it will sit and what temperature.

Gary M

I was up north when it was -34 below. My Polaris 570 efi did not start. I have it in enclosed trailer.
    It turns over no problem. So different oil is not going to help I don’t think. I tried pumping throttle several times nothing happened.
    So I put buddy heater on it plug in trickle charger a hour later it fired right up.

Next morning -34 again I figured try it again. Turns over but would not start. I turned key on then back off.
    Listen to fuel pump I decided to leave key on for 10 seconds while listen to fuel pump run I turned key it fired up.
    This is with out trickle charger on or heater on.

I don’t know if it’s the fix or not but worked for me.
    Maybe it’s telling me not to go out fishing when it’s that cold out.

I always carry a jump starter pack with me . I should of hooked that up to see if it would fire up but it was to cold to mess with

Ice Cap

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappies wrote:</div>
    Just wondering how you guys make sure your atv keep running in cold weather on the ice when it’s very cold. Just start it up every hour or so? Also thought about a <nobr style=”font-size: inherit”>cover</nobr>? I have electric start and pull cord. First year with 4 wheeler just dont want to get stranded. Thanks in advance

stay on da couch with cold beer!!!!!!!!!!! waytogo

Hard to argue with that wisdom Glen! What do they say nothing good happens in the bar after 1am? I think that applies to temps of 20 degrees below zero nothing seems to want to work very well and the fish generally are pretty tight lipped.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Need to remember these 4 wheelers do not have much of a charging system on them. So if starting to warm them up regularly at idle they do not put out much juice to charge the battery, my Polaris only puts out 5 amps. It still amazes me why every 4 wheeler does not have a back up pull start.

JoeMX1825
    MN

My 2016 Grizzly 700 started right up last Saturday morning after being towed 100 miles north, I believe it was about -15 out, not sure how much colder it got while being towed exposed to the wind…2 things are absolutely critical (as others have mentioned) let the fuel filter completely cycle a few times to get liquids moving before hitting the start button, always keep your battery on a tender whenever possible…

JoeMX1825
    MN

It still amazes me why every 4 wheeler does not have a back up pull start.

This is the truth…really seems stupid doesn’t it, that’s why I carry a jump pack with me at all times…

Shawn30

If my ATV started, I’m not sure I could even ride in -30 weather.

John Timm

Tom P. wrote:

This is one of the reasons why I installed a recoil start on my 2014 Kingquad 750. They are set up for them as up till 2009 had them. For under $50 in parts on eBay I put one on in under 15 minutes. Haven’t had to use it yet.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Tom P. wrote:

This is one of the reasons why I installed a recoil start on my 2014 Kingquad 750. They are set up for them as up till 2009 had them. For under $50 in parts on eBay I put one on in under 15 minutes. Haven’t had to use it yet.

But I assume you’ve pulled it? How is it, trying to pull start a 750?

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

If you find yourself on a trip without a charger or jump pack, your flasher battery charger works great on the ATV battery. it’s just enough power to keep the battery charged overnight. This has worked great for me many times when the temp dips to -20 overnight.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Good luck pull starting a cold 700.

Never happen!

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I hear ya there! Still nice to know your machines limitations. A couple springs ago all the snow melted off the ice in Sioux Narrows by mid March and then we had a major cold snap. ATV’s were really the only option for travel. I think the lows in the mornings were around -15F or so and we were running 20 miles up to yellow girl. Probably the coldest rides ive ever been on. There’s just something about riding a ATV vs Snowmobile that’s just so much colder.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Shawn30 wrote:</div>

I hear ya there! Still nice to know your machines limitations. A couple springs ago all the snow melted off the ice in Sioux Narrows by mid March and then we had a major cold snap. ATV’s were really the only option for travel. I think the lows in the mornings were around -15F or so and we were running 20 miles up to yellow girl. Probably the coldest rides ive ever been on. There’s just something about riding a ATV vs Snowmobile that’s just so much colder.

I put a windshield on this winter and it helps alot, snowmobile’s are setup to deflect all wind away from your body, 4 wheeler not so much…

John Timm

I pull started it after the install. It is possible, better than just standing there with a dead battery. You can use it to turn over the motor and then hit the electric start after a few slow solid tugs. I might just give it a try and see if I can start it out of curiosity.

Chad Leton

I keep a Noco Jump pack with when on the ice (I have the dongle pre-wired on the battery so I simply plug it in vs pulling plastics off to get to the terminals), starting it for 5 minutes every few hours is also smart

I installed the same thing this year on my Kodiak. Piece of mind and easy access should I need it. Keep the Noco inside the shack with me and make sure fully charged when leave the house. Had one close call WAAAYYY out on the lake after dark. Never want that hopeless feeling again!

Gary M

I don’t know if a pull start would help if you’re fuel pump doesn’t work per relay issue

But would be nice to know I would install one.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.