Cold and ATV

• crappies

Just wondering how you guys make sure your atv keep running in cold weather on the ice when it’s very cold. Just start it up every hour or so? Also thought about a cover? I have electric start and pull cord. First year with 4 wheeler just dont want to get stranded. Thanks in advance

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

For me, it’s keep the fuel relay warm.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I recently changed from a snowmobile (pull start) to a 4 wheeler electric start. I have wondered the same thing. Make sure your battery is newer, carry jumper cables and travel with a buddy or two is the only things I have done thus far. It does make me hesitate to go out in double digit below stuff though for that reason. Curious what others would say or do.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I use two batteries.one in the tool box

Attachments:
    1. B3335928-B4EF-4049-ACA3-C315370A792C.jpeg

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Using 0W-30 oil will help. Just make sure you change back to a 10W-40 once it starts hitting 50 degrees + again. The motor will turn over way easier and use less juice from the battery with a 0W-30 oil. I wouldn’t go out without a jumper pack once it starts hitting below zero regardless though.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I use two batteries.one in the tool box

Great idea if you have room for it!

lindyrig79

Nice set-up Gino

On my Polaris 570 Sportsman the battery is a PITA to reach. It took me awhile in a heated shop with good light to swap it out. I think in the dark and on the ice and you would be screwed, if you wanted to pull it off.

I do think they make a little hand-held charger that could be worth looking into.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

For me, it’s keep the fuel relay warm.

That and a jumper pack has always worked for me. I probably would not need the jumper pack if I kept a good working battery in my ATV but I just don’t use the ATV much if at all in the summer. I also store the ATV where electricity is unavailable. I should wire up a solar charger.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Just wondering how you guys make sure your atv keep running in cold weather on the ice when it’s very cold. Just start it up every hour or so? Also thought about a <nobr style=”font-size: inherit”>cover</nobr>? I have electric start and pull cord. First year with 4 wheeler just dont want to get stranded. Thanks in advance

stay on da couch with cold beer!!!!!!!!!!! waytogo

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I also run 0w 30 and was out many times in below zero Temps and after four hours it always fired right up. Actually turns over very fast.this was done in the off-season. I had to remove a lot parts to get it torn down like in the picture . Also both batterys were bought at the same time. I was told that was important also the main power off of one and ground off of the other one.good luck

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just run a honda! Lol. My wheeler is both electric and pull start. Last year lake of the woods it was below 20 for 4 days straight. We all started our machines every couple hours. Every one would needed a jump at one point of the weekend besides my honda. But when it was that cold and I didnt use 0 30 oil in it , took about 5 pulls before it even sounded like it wanted to fire.( after 5 pulls I was tuckered). No matter what in that cold carry a jumper pack, keep it out of the wind as much as possible.

lindyrig79

Any particular jumper packs that you guys like, or are they all about the same?

crappies

Thanks alot guys for all the great info! I’m going to try and start it up ever couple hours and put atv cover on it. Plus charge battery good nite before. It’s a newer battery but I like the idea of 2 batteries or just one big one.

Shawn30

With pull start and electric you pretty well have the basis covered. A synthetic oil for sure and a battery pack, maybe a can of starting fluid. Make sure that pull rope is in good shape. I would think just out for a day of fishing and letting it idle every once in a while would be good. Seems like sitting over night is what get’s everything all tight and even a pull start is a PITA.

Pretty sure there are 12 volt oil pan heaters, wolverine is one company

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

maybe a can of starting fluid.

Starting fluid in a small motor when its artic cold would be my very very last option. Klabooms happen that way.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a Stanley one from Walmart and also a noco genius boost or something like that. They both work just fine

JoeMX1825
    MN

I keep a Noco Jump pack with when on the ice (I have the dongle pre-wired on the battery so I simply plug it in vs pulling plastics off to get to the terminals), starting it for 5 minutes every few hours is also smart

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have a 750 amp I picked up on sale for $50.00 seems to work just fine. When choosing a size, keep in mind that if the jump pack has been sitting out in the cold, the peak amps will be reduced for it as well.

jump pack

munchy
    NULL

NOCO Genius for me! Amazon has them on sale frequently.

B-man

Another cold weather trick:

Use your arm as a booster pack.

Seriously.

When the motor is cranking slow with the starter, give the pull cord a rip at the same time.

That extra “boost” often gets a cold machine running (or a summer machine with a weak battery)

I’ve started a lot of stuff like that and have had guys say….”Why didn’t I think of that??” toast

Dave maze
    Isanti

My last 2 atvs have had no pull start. Jump packs and thin oil have been working. I did have the fuel pump relay issue once. That was not cool. Next time I have the front fenders off, I’m gonna wire up a bypass switch for that realay.

munchy
    NULL

My last 2 atvs have had no pull start. Jump packs and thin oil have been working. I did have the fuel pump relay issue once. That was not cool. Next time I have the front fenders off, I’m gonna wire up a bypass switch for that realay.

I had the relay screw with me before I knew they were an issue, I now carry extra ones. Not too expensive and easier than running a bypass.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What machines are you having fuel relay issues? I’ve never experienced it or heard of it on either my honda or can am. Must be a Polaris issue?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

What machines are you having fuel relay issues? I’ve never experienced it or heard of it on either my honda or can am. Must be a Polaris issue?

My 2013 Artic Cat has this problem. For me it only occurs when the outside temps get to negative 10 or below. The relay on my machine is right under the seat. I do have a spare but all that is really needed is to pop the reply out and put it in an inside pocket for 5 minutes. Plug it back into the machine, and start it up. The relay does not fail while the machine is running.

Only does it on a cold day during a cold startup. I’ve learned to turn the key on and listen for the sound of the running fuel pump, before hitting the starter button. If the pump is not running the relay is not working.

crappies

Thanks again for all the great ideas guys! Ill let ya know how it goes down the ice this season. First test will be on Saturday. Good luck fishing to all!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Not sure if it helps but what I’ve read online now due to this thread. Newer sleds have huge issues with that relay. When they are new before installation put dielectric grease on them to keep moisture from seeping in. And or like any one else knows remove and heat up for a minute or 2.also read in a pinch a hot water soaked towel will do the trick, but have to work fast. ( just in case this helps any one) I guess I’ve always been lucky and took my carberated honda over my efi can am.

Dave maze
    Isanti

The relay issue is on a 16 brute force 750. It takes about 3 hours of disassembly to get to the relay.

B-man

The relay issue is on a 16 brute force 750. It takes about 3 hours of disassembly to get to the relay.

How many prongs on are the relay?

If it’s just two or three, could you make some mini-extension cords with spade adapters and route the relay to a more convenient spot??

MNBOWHUNTIN

I have a Honda Foreman that is fuel injected. I have found that cycling the key on and off a few times before attempting to start helps in cold weather. Makes the fuel pump run a few times. Also heard that cycling the key a few times “wakes up” the battery, gives it something to do, which warms it up a little before trying to crank over an engine with it.

My dad has an older foreman, carb, and he bought a bigger eskimo pop up to fish out of on really cold days. Its big enough he sets it up over the ATV and has plenty of room to fish as well. ATV stays warm, haha.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I don’t remember if it was 4 or 6. One switch would do it. If I’m gonna mess with it it’s getting a waterproof switch that works 100% of the time, unlike relays that get cold and damp.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dave maze wrote:</div>

How many prongs on are the relay?

If it’s just two or three, could you make some mini-extension cords with spade adapters and route the relay to a more convenient spot??

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.