Clam Drill Auger Conversion Kit

• Lund1775
    Waconia, MN

Hey Guys with the ice season around the corner I was looking into the Clam drill conversion kit. I am wondering what people have to say about it. I have a 6″ Mora auger that i would put on there. There are not a lot of reviews on the big box store websites so just looking for some first hand experience with it before i decide to make a purchase. Thank you in advance for any information.

Jason Guthmiller

I bought the conversion plate last year and put an Ion 8″ drill on it with a milwaukee m18 fuel hammer drill. It is one of the best things I ever bought for ice fishing. It’s light weight, plenty powerful, very fast and suprisingly long lasting. I’m can’t comment on the mora drill but the plate works very well.

Tinker
    Iron Range

I have the original Clam plate. I have adapted an old 6″ Mora hand drill and a Nils 8″.I have quick connect pins so I can switch from 6 to 8. I use the Miwaukee Fuel 18 amp drill and carry 3 batteries . Great system.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

I too have the clam plate with my milwaukee drill and 6″ lazer auger. Works great. I started my auger build without the plate and the handle on the drill is what made me put the plate on, better handling when drilling. Although it does add a little more weight (v.s drill straight to auger) I’ve gotten used to it.

Lund1775
    Waconia, MN

Thank you all for the information! I think i will have to pick one up before the season or maybe wait till the ice fishing show. I have a dewalt 18v lithium drill at home that i can use with it, i believe it is the brushed version though, will have to try it out see how well that works if not just pick a new milwaukee drill. it would not be too bad of a purchase considering the cost will be less then a new electric or gas auger, plus the weight advantage.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

It will change you as a fisherman. You’ll be able to buzz holes all day with ease! I have the original Clam drill plate design from 4 years ago and it still works fantastic.

Lund1775
    Waconia, MN

That’s good to hear. I would defiantly punch a lot more holes in a area, usually i only punch a few before i set up and wing it form there.

Lund1775
    Waconia, MN

I have done some reading into it and some say to use a drill with 1,000 in/lb of torque. Is that needed or could you get away with using less then that? My current drill says it is about 350 would that be enough? Or should could I kick it up to 500 and be good? 300 bucks is kinda steep for me at the moment for a new drill for ice fishing but there are some drills with 500 in/lb that are cheaper. Any thoughts on this?

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

If you decide to try to drill holes through ice with a cheap drill you are going to get what you pay for… Spend the money and get a good drill, it’s your lifeline out there for a positive fishing experience. And make sure it’s BRUSHLESS.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.