Biting Bullheads…. Time to feed them (Video)

• larry_haugh
    MN

If your keeping Bait in captivity for long periods of time you want them to stay healthy… you need to feed them, especially when they start nipping at you when your working with your hands in the tank.

A little something for the bait keepers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtnfW3ET9l4

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Larry, you have a ton of bait. What kind of filter is on that? I bet they would eat commercial fish food but obviously not as fun.

I just set up a 5gal bucket lava rock filter for more capacity. Having problems this year. I think they started chlorinating my water when in the past I could just dump tap water in with no problems but I’ve wanted a better filter for a few years.

Dragnslayer

^ this is one way to spend your friday night

larry_haugh
    MN

Fridays are for fishing…. and other days during the week… Well… you got to have things ready, for some that’s part of the fun.

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Larry, you have a ton of bait. What kind of filter is on that? I bet they would eat commercial fish food but obviously not as fun.

I just set up a 5gal bucket lava rock filter for more capacity. Having problems this year. I think they started chlorinating my water when in the past I could just dump tap water in with no problems but I’ve wanted a better filter for a few years.

Josh…
    I’m using a basket filter with some poly fluf (HVAC)and soft foam for the first stage (its about as surprising simple as you can get) and then a pool pump filter for the second stage.

If you think you have chlorine in the water, you should treat it or let it set until it off gasses.

Lava rock I’ve heard can work pretty well from what I’ve heard.(I’m guessing your working on getting a bio filter rolling), but I would maybe consider putting some sort of prefilter over it.

It’s been trail and error for me, over the last three years. I tried to go all fancy when I first got rolling and now I look at it and go why did I make it so hard on myself…. but then I really did not have a clue.
    I’ll be making a video of my tank set up… I’m going to try to encorporate some aquatic plants to assist with chemical filtration in the next week.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I thought everyday was for fishing? At least that has been my motto for the past couple months

I wonder if they will bite any appendage?

Cool vid larry!!

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

It’s an old green water algae cure to stick some willow cuttings in the tank. This winter the aquarium plant fad was a riparium, fill the tank about 1/2 full and grow whatever emergent plants you can on top then have a few fish in the bottom. Some of the plants look cool, they flower and stuff and they won’t underwater.

I’ve got a filter with a sponge in it but it’s not big enough for bio. I have my heart set on a power filter sponge from SWiss Tropicals. The open cell foam sounds like the bomb and it’s hard to find. It’s kind of expensive but you can get big chunks and they’re supposed to go a long time before they plug up.

dr._flathead

It dont take them long to get hungry……I tossed a couple nightcrawlers in the tank yesterday morning….WHAM! they ate them up!

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Hoping to get out this weekend weather notwithstanding, maybe on the MN, maybe on the Mississippi… I have a couple spots I’d like to try on the Miss and it’s more convenient.

At least I have rain gear now!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.