Diane and Bob’s Honeymoon cat trip

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

As mentioned in an earlier post, I had the pleasure of taking out Diane and Bob on Saturday night for an evening of catting.
    This couple are newly weds and this trip was arrange by thier friend and IDA Staffer Don Hanson. Some might call it a uniquely “differant” wedding gift.

Using the marine radio, the Lock Master gave us 5 minutes to get to the lock or we would have to wait for 2.5 hours while the barge traffic went through. On the way back we had the same deal, but if we missed our window then, it would have been a 4 hour wait because of the two double lock barges.

Our first spot was the usual bait catching and hook setting practice spot.

We ended up waiting until just about dusk for our first bite. Diane landed her 27 in personal best walleye like a true professional! Taped her and a couple photes and back into the water she went.

Bob is a bass/walleye guy. His words when he set the hook were “it must be pretty small”…thinking it was a catfish…but ended up being his personal best walleye at 28.5 inches. Diane had a great one liner…Bob’s fish was “a lover, not a fighter”. I thought it was funny!

We had one more run in that spot, out of deeper water. Diane pulled in her personal best…and only flathead of her life…a baby 4 lber.

It was a very slow night in our boat. Two dandy walleyes and one little flat was the only fruits of our labor.

I was hoping that the photo above would grace the cover of their wedding album…but I think Diane had other ideas.

FYI for all of you lurkers out there…live suckers haven’t produce a fish so far this year. Cut fresh sucker did well for channels (except for this night) otherwise all the fish have been taken with live bullheads.

The walleyes have been coming out of 2 to 5 feet of water with the flats seeming to want deeper, up to 18 feet of water. The action generally has been starting just before dusk.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

..and here’s Bob with his wife beating 28.5 inch eye.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Since we didn’t take a photo of the little flat…should this be in the walleye forum?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.