Coralville Reservoir (Iowa) is on FIRE

• skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve been to Coralville Reservoir three times this last week. I’ve caught a few nice cats. Here’s some numbers to ponder…

I’ve caught about 80 channel cats in three different trips (total of 15 hours);
    the average weight is about 5 pounds. smallest about 2 and biggest about 9;
    that brings the total weight in my boat this week to somewhere between 350 and 400 pounds.

That doesn’t count the 24 pound 38 inch flathead I caught on Monday either (that was a bonus fish).

That’s a pretty good week in my book. I have only had better totals at Mendota Lake in Madison, Wisconsin (but that’s a freak show…average weight for channel cats is around 15 pounds with similar number caught each day).

All caught on cut shad while drifting/trolling in 4 to 14 FOW. Any type bottom structure (flats, drop offs, humps, etc), they are everywhere.

Good luck out there.

L8R…Ken

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya ken when the bites on fire at the res. its hard to beat it. Its been awhile since we have run lines there but the last time we did we got 42 channels from around midnight until the sun came up, most averaged from 3 to 7 pounds, with some nicer ones in there too boot. We did that for over two weeks, we just killed em.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Nice report there Ken..very nice.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Good to hear you’re out catching fish Ken. I’m looking forward to our trip to LaSalle Lake in IL in September.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.