Mississippi River Pool 8 Cat Report 7/7/07

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

After a trip to the nursery to catch some groceries (gills) for an evening of catin’ I was set up and fishing just before dark. The area was in the middle of a series of wingdams that are not spread out to far apart. I was hoping to do some drifting but gusting winds from the South put an end to that. Next trick up my sleeve, beach the boat and spread out along a sand flat between 2 of the wingdams.
    Casting out into 8fow with cut bait was the ticket for catching some nice fighting channel cats. Nothing to big but the action was fast enough to make for a work out on the forearms The biggest of the night was 71/2 pounds with numerous 20-22 inch fish being caught.
    The rig being used was a 5/8oz sinker with the main line running through the eye and a barrel swivel tied to the end, then a 26 inch mono leader with a 1/0 Daiichi catfish wide circle hook. These fish were hitting a ton, by the time I had the rod in hand they were hooked up and pulling drag

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The whole time the cut bait was jumping the lively gills were not producing anything until 12:00am. There was a short run on a 6 gill then nothing, then a series of short runs. Something wasn’t looking right so I picked up the rod and set the hook on this 23 inch walleye. This is a first for me, walleye on a gill. I thought I needed bullheads after seeing the pictures of the pigs BrianK has brought to the boat Unfortunately for this eye it had to be put on ice, the large hook had the gills messed up pretty bad. It wasn’t a feel good thing but it will eat fine. There was also one small Flathead caught on a live gill, other than that I’m sure them gills thought they were just on a leash because nothing seemed to be bothering them.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

This is the average size Channels being caught. They were not the 11+ pound fish
    I was searching for but non the less a lot of fun to catch on the Walleye rod. The best bite was from 9:00pm – 11:30pm with fish being caught until I had to call it quits at 1:30am.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Good report, Bret. I’ve been drifting but with limited success. I was out on Thursday and was starting to find some good sized bait pods showing up on the sonar. The good drifting bite should be starting pretty soon.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Nice report and pics Bret. I see you, like Briank, are turning into a walleye fisherman who catches cats once in awhile.
    Thanks, Bill

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You didn’t quite get your face covered Bret!

It takes a lot of courage to post a photo with your mug in it like that!

Nice report…nice fish.

Time to get back on the water for me!

adloos
    Winona, MN

It looks like the bite is heating up for you Bret.
    Thanks for the report.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Thanks for the report Bret

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.