Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

bump

ronzych
    Centerville,MN.

They are eelpout wannabees!!!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

OK…Cat talk

Any body fishing channel cats notice……there is not much of a difference from the day bite to the night bite……matter in fact; my 2 largest have come from day light hours this year

I credit it to cooler water temps (complete theory) think about it…… Being nocturnal would I hunt during the hot period of the day or when the sun left for awhile to let things cool down when the water temps are in the mid to high 80’s? This making night fall my best time for cats last year. Year 2008, nope!

With only high water temps in the mid to almost high 70’s on pool 8 this year I don’t think them tanks have a problem moving through the channel during the day. The shad are running small right now and I don’t think they have any reason to chow down to get a belly full at night. I think they are grazing day and night right now keeping there from being that witching hour or so……… you?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Call me backwards…but I’ve found the CHANNELS to be active in day light most years. Although my best channel outing was from about 11pm to 5 am a couple three years ago.

…but that might have been the company I kept.

ChrisCordia
    Missouri

It depends alot on the way you fish. If your usual fish deep hole the bite will be better during the day. If you normally fih ledges and flats then night time is for you. Its just my theory.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

The lake here is a night bite during the summer, but springtime is a daytime bite, you can pop a fish or two on the thermocline during the day in summer, but they come a cruising at night. If they are hungry they will eat whatever time it is, but if they have eaten well the previous night, not so good during the day.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

btt

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Has anyone been out to soak some live bait on pool 8 yet this year? If the weather holds I hope to get out tonight and place a few gills on the bottom.

waterswat
    WI

Good Luck! Please post on your results. I haven’t tried this early in the year before, but am feeling the itch to get out and just see what happens.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

You guy’s talkin’ Cat’s yet???

Heck with this weather, BK is probably lookin’ for his wintering hole and Mr Clark is ready for ice!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Hey Pete! Most of the cat guy activity is now centered around the Species Specific ‘Catfish and Sturgeon’ board.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Approximately 203 days to the hard water season

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Bret, put that StrikeMaster down. It’s not going to freeze any faster holding on to it!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I have been using it to make Margarita’s

rofole
    River Falls, WI

i want to try some more opptions for cut bait and i was thinking chicken liver but i dont know where it buy it

also is there any other random cut baits that i could throw at them cats

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Was Down On Pool 2 @ ssp 494 Launch Doing Some Shorefishing Earlier Around 1am And Had Some Nice Runs Using cut Big Suckers. Only Landed 2 Fish, Both Channel Cats With The Biggest At 33 Inches. Was Down There Last Couple Nights And Something Bit Right Through My 20 Pound Power Pro So I Rigged Up Some 50 Pound Test And Hopefully Get The Culprit Soon. Anyone Else Doin Any Catfishin On Pool 2?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

There’s a sucker bucket full of guys that fish P-2, but they pretty much hang out in the Catfish/Sturgeon Forum.

Click Here<

Welcome to the catfish side!

Killer23

ok i see whats goin on but my ? is what to use in the mississippi river only reason for askin is cause im new to the MN area and from KY so anyhelp would be highly appreciated..thanx…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.