glowsticks?

• bgreen82
    MN

are they decent rods for $27 or should i hold out for something better. can only afford to put about $35 tops into my rod for my casting combo. wanna go with a 7 – 7 1/2ft. gonna pair it up with a 6500c3.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Pretty good rod. You wouldn’t be disappointed. Also check out the Quantum Big Cat for about $35. Moore’s Bait has both in stock.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I just got an 8 footer this year and it is paired with a 6500C3. I like it quite a bit.

FYI – I got mine as a combo from Catfish Connection for $95. Heck of a deal!

If you already have the reel, you may want to take Ryan’s advice and take a trip down to Moore’s to check out his selection.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I am very happy with my 8′ glowstick (shut up Brian) and I plan on getting a slightly shorter Quantum Big Cat from Moore’s as soon as we get some 55 degree water temps and he stocks some bullhead! |

david_scott
    Twin Cities

If you plan on fishing flatheads, the 8′ glow stick is a good, universal rod. The 7′ is a bit light for flatheads. Another option around the same price is the night sticks..but those rods vary greatly in action, its best to check them out on hand.

bgreen82
    MN

yeah, im gonna be pairing it with a 6500c3 that i already have. so the 8′ paired up with it should make a pretty good channel/flat combo.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I agree that it makes a good combo.

So far this year I have caught a few channels on my 6500C3 and I really dig the bait clicker. I think I have only missed one fish while pairing the bait clicker with circle hooks.

My only real problem with the reel is that it seems to lack power. I caught 5lb channel the other day and there seemed to be some difficulty with it once the fish got closer to shore. I am still getting used to the reel, so maybe that has something to do with it.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

bgreen… thats a great all around combo.

dfresh, you shouldnt have any problem with cranking power from a 6500c3. Are you just keeping your tip up trying to crank the fish in? Try reeling down, and pulling up(drag the fish in with yor rod).

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Ah Dave, the oldest trick in the book – proper technique!

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

I just put shorts on for the first time this year and realized that I have two glowsticks already!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nothing wrong with have extra reflectors on the river at night. Safety first!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

My only real problem with the reel is that it seems to lack power.

You’re insane, dude

I caught a lot of big sturgeon on 6500C3s this weekend and there is no lack of power at all.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Like I said, my technique sucked.

bgreen82
    MN

well guys, just found out my wife and mom went in together and bought me the 6500c3/8′ glowstick combo from cc. gonna sell the spare reel to a friend or keep it around. not sure. hopefully combo gets here by my bday, saturday, so i can line up the 65 lb. powerpro and give it a shot. never casted a baitcaster so should be lots of fun, haha.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

CC shipped mine pretty quick. The box is huge.

Remember to keep your thumb on that spool and you’ll do just fine.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

bgreen..

The most important thing to a baitcaster is setting the spool tension tight enough before you cast! I would recommend putting on a 3 oz weight on the line, and turning the tension up until the weight barely falls on its own with the reel released. Once you have that set.. go ahead and make your 1st cast… just whip the weight out there, dont try to cast soft. You can lighten thespool tension as your casting and getting used to it. If you go too light, you will have a birds nest. Keep in mind you will have to adjust the tension when using casting different weight rigs. The heavier the rig, the more tension.

Good luck.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I was going to post my method for fixing birds nests, but I didn’t want to hijack the thread or waste anyones bandwidth as anyone who’s used a baitcaster will learn pretty quick. I take pride in not ever being defeated by a birds nest. Sometimes the line will break on a tight nest, but if the line hasn’t been damaged I can fix it!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Pug – is your methods the ‘Pull until it breaks’ method? I’d kind of like to hear how you deal with them as I got a wicked one by trying to set the hook with the reel in free spool. I figured it out by reveresing the line and messing around with it, but it took a good 10 minutes.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ll PM you, but that’s pretty much it. You back it up, pull out where it is catching until you cannot pull out any more. The pull the line through the guide until it catches again or the nest is gone. Repeat.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My method involves a knife

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

And crying. Don’t forget the crying.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Quote:

And crying. Don’t forget the crying.

No crying…lots of cussing, though!!!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Pug has it right on gettign a backlash out. Its very easy and fast most of the time. Pull the line out until it stops.. look at the spot its *stuck* and pull at that spot with your fingers. Usually there will be a small loop that will come out and ree the line. Its rare there are more than 1 or 2 of these *loops*.

The knife method is way too expensive if power pro is involved. 99% of backlashes I can get out in 45 seconds or less on large reels… Low profile bass reels can be an entirely different story. They should make those *fire proof* so you can just toss the reel in a fire and lett he line burn away when a bad backlash occurs… just spool new line when its done burning…

Either that or leave it in the fire and go buy a 6500

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

The knife method is way too expensive if power pro is involved. 99% of backlashes I can get out in 45 seconds or less on large reels… Low profile bass reels can be an entirely different story. They should make those *fire proof* so you can just toss the reel in a fire and lett he line burn away when a bad backlash occurs… just spool new line when its done burning…

Yeah, I was talking about low pro reels. Never had a major backlash with a “big” reel.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

When I bought my first cat reel 2 years I made the mistake of getting a Okuma trolling reel. That’s what the brilliant guy behind the counter told me all the guides were using for big fish. I get it now. Trolling reels are for trolling, not casting. Even though backlash is more frequent in that reel, they are so much easier than mono on a little bass reel. The new cat reel though casts like a dream! Can’t wait to use it with live bait.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Instead of selling the extra reel, get another 27 dollar rod and then you’ll have two or 30 like the rest of us. If you are out fishing and have a mess at night you would have a spare. I have gone to my spares oh about a thousand times.

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

Quote:

Instead of selling the extra reel, get another 27 dollar rod and then you’ll have two or 30 like the rest of us. If you are out fishing and have a mess at night you would have a spare. I have gone to my spares oh about a thousand times.

Whiskerkev, please explain this concept to my wife. Thanks.

Ben

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Ralph,

The new Avatar is kind of disturbing

Sorry, Don’t mean to hijack

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Ralph,

The new Avatar is kind of disturbing

Sorry, Don’t mean to hijack

And just think, you shared a room with me

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Ben,

I have a hard enough time with my own. Once you have two, a wife won’t be able to tell them apart any longer and you can always go with “what that old thing” I can’t remember when I bought that one. There is the old standby, picked it up at a garage sale for a dollar. My personal favorite is I need a new boat because my rods keep getting banged up or maybe I could just replace the banged up rods instead of the new boat. Gets them everytime. If those don’t work PM me her phone number.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.