Carolina Rig & Floating Trout Worm

• Michael

Hi all. So I’m wondering if a Carolina Rig + a floating trout worm would work for bank fishing.

I recently just started using the Carolina as a new rig for bank fishing catfish with shrimp and letting it sit. I’m using a 1oz weight and mono line, so I’m wondering if using a floating trout worm will work by letting it sit on the bottom.

My concerns are that the worm will just sit flat on the bottom and not float above the ground to give a little action for the trout. I’m hoping since I’m using mono line it may float a tad without reeling my rod. I attached a picture of the rig I’m using and how I have the worm hooked.

The worm is exactly as shown. No weighted ball jig since I’m using a 1 oz egg sinker on the rig.

Attachments:
    1. 3F10A551-947E-482F-86BF-039927594CDF.thumb_.jpeg.ac722d379c1ffe73e4effe508e89ecd4.jpeg

2. 8DAC5B52-3EA0-49CD-A914-5A2623F9785E.png.e148d0026b1cdbd7391e4a0c10e8f067.png

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I would think the current would basically pin the worm to the bottom but I guess a lot would depend on the amount of current and the buoyancy of the worm. You fishing lakes or streams and what species are you targeting?

robby
    Quad Cities

Try it in your bathtub, see if it floats. Even if the current in the River would push against the worm and force it down, it would still move, flutter, spin, etc.. Should work if they like the bait. I have used a similar rig with other baits and caught catfish. Should work for trout if downsized. 1 oz is a lot of weight.

Michael

Fishing one of my local lakes, but using this specific rig and floating trout worm for Trout species.

matt

Use a nightcrawler and inject it with air so it floats.Thats how we always bank fished for trout.One ounce weight is fine and will help get your bait out a ways from shore to deeper water when you cast.Reel the line tight and open the bail, prop rod on a stick and wait.When a trout takes it line will come flying off the reel let it run for a bit then close the bail set the hook and reel in dinner.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Ya, just pitch out a 3-way rig. That’ll float your worm as you wish.

If in current, use a 3-way to keep your worm off the bottom.
    If not in current, your Carolina rig worm will float off bottom.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.