Busiest River Weekend Ever?

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Unfortunately it’s not looking like a Rainy River trip is in the cards for me this year, but by all accounts this weekend was an absolute zoo up there. My buddy and I did get out on Saturday on P4 with our boys, and that was easily the busiest I have ever seen it. We launched at Baypoint @ 7 am and the lot across the street was already filling up quickly. We fished down river and even that was busier than I’d like, but one trip up by the dam and there had to be well over 200 boats up there as well. I don’t think there is anyone tracking it, but this had to be one of the busiest SPRING river weekends ever!

P.S. Quick rant, if you are close enough to another boat to be able to cross rods (either kind) you are too close, and a little “whoops sorry” goes a long ways. There was a newer dark grey glass Lund that almost hit us 4 times within a 30 minute stretch while we were spot locked, apparently their FFS said we were right on the fish, weird, but not that there was a boat over those fish already and they needed some content for the 5 go pros on the boat. Wish I was making any of that up. And there were 4 other boats that came just as close throughout the day, including one that had to start the big engine and hammer it to narrowly avoid us. I don’t mind people getting that close on accident, it happens in current with lots of traffic, just say “whoops, sorry” and try not to do it again. But if you do it 4 times in a row you are an idiot. And not one of those boats said anything. (end rant)

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Yikes. Bumper boats is not my style. Sometimes those incidents escalate quickly.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We experienced the same on rainy. Most guys were great and had good conversations, a few were bad apples. Including the guys who came less then a foot to our buddies boat while big motoring and being so focused on ffs he forgot other boats were in the area. After some barking in his direction he put his head down and ran out of there. All he had to do was say sorry man it was my bad. But no, that would have been asking to much.
    We had 2 boats come up and ask if we minded them anchoring near us, we all sat and had alot of laughs while we all pounded on fish. But Saturday was easily the busiest I had ever seen rainy. I posted on the rainy thread my incident with the 3 d bags in the big nitro.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Yeah river fishing isn’t much for me either. Unless you are talking trout streams like I did this past weekend with my kids and I can hike and get away from people. I will make an exception for the Rainy on occasion too. But good job getting the kids out hopefully they had fun.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

We didn’t run into too much for overcrowding on the Rainy this weekend (don’t get me wrong, it was way busy on saturday). The biggest thing we noticed is guys on plane weaving through all the boats spot locked/anchored instead of using the border line to go around everybody. Couple that with how low the river was and some guys were asking for trouble.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My neighbor sent me a picture from Lake Pepin. He had x7 fish over 20″ on Saturday. He said he saw 3 boats.

People don’t understand how many tributaries there are to Pools 4 & 5 for fish to spawn in…and I’m honestly glad it’s that way.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

My buddy is up there and has been crushing it. 60 fish day two days ago, 30 fish day yesterday and two over 30 inch fish. He did say it was a zoo.

Jimmy Jones

People don’t understand how many tributaries there are to Pools 4 & 5 for fish to spawn in…and I’m honestly glad it’s that way.

They don’t all go to the dam, do they? The fish that is. I’ve shore fished in Lake City many times and caught spawned out walleyes while the zoo is still at the dam fighting traffic.

CaptainMusky

These stories make me feel great that I dont want to deal with the hassle.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

These stories make me feel great that I dont want to deal with the hassle.

Wasn’t really a hassle, actually none at all. And to boat over 200 walleye with my son was well worth it. Catching lots of fish over 25 inch and a 29.5 was also well worth it. Just like every year, I’ll be back in 2025. People seem to flock to other boats. It wasn’t hard to stay away from people and catch fish.

isu22andy

I was out last night in the rain and wind . 1 of 6-7 . We boated a 28.5 . I love shitty weather on P4 . But yes the weekend was horrendous with traffic . Friday night when I got home I took a shower and closed my eyes and it felt like I was in a boat rocking from all the wakes ha .

Michael Best

The past weekend was a blast for me up on the rainy. Caught lots of great quality fish.
    No real issues with other boats. Since I went by myself I had numerous other people offer to help with putting the boat in.
    Got to meet a couple fellow IDO guys and other great people as well.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I did the River thing a few times when I lived in the Metro. Not my thing at all. Like LindyRig I usually spent my early spring chasing trout on the streams in southern Minnesota. Almost never saw another fishermen.

ThunderLund78

I prefer the fall trip up to the Rainy, but we primarily target the sturgeon with walleye being a fun break. Walleye Bite not as hot (unless you go way late and hit the shiner run), but it’s so much quieter up there that time of year and you’re not dodging ice chunks

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I prefer the fall trip up to the Rainy, but we primarily target the sturgeon with <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye being a fun break. <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleye Bite not as hot (unless you go way late and hit the shiner run), but it’s so much quieter up there that time of year and you’re not dodging ice chunks

There wasn’t much ice to be dodged. Hard to beat unlimited giant fat walleye. Had a time where I casted 11 times and had 11 walleye over 20 inches. Biggest of those 11 was a 26. That was fun as heck. We couldn’t even put our rods in our rod holders for more then 2 minutes without s fish grabbing our baits.
    The shiner run is definitely another fun one. But not quite the same

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Even with the miles of river to fish people still have to be dbags and fish right next to you. I would think with the ffs it would be more reason to get away from boats/crowds and find your own spots. It was nice to see pics of the kids with fish anyway BW!

orve4

As Much as I think FFS Has ruined fishing I also think Spotlock has a place in this. I have been fishing many of times with several other boats drifting a spot or a brake line for fish and catching fish. Each one taking their turn and drifting that piece of structure and catching fish to only watch a boat pull up and spotlock on this spot well knowing and spot locking on this spot disrupting 40 other boats then yelling at anyone that gets close.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Each one taking their turn and drifting that piece of structure and catching fish to only watch a boat pull up and spotlock on this spot well knowing and spot locking on this spot disrupting 40 other boats then yelling at anyone that gets close.

In the days before spot lock, people would often drift over structure like the edge of a mud flat on Mille Lacs while they were lindy rigging. If you were catching fish, it wouldn’t take long for other boats to join in on that same drift. Then a dozen or more are drifting that edge.

Well there was always some dipchit that rolled in and plopped down a manual anchor there and started bobber fishing. I remember my now deceased Grandfather cursing about this more than once.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Once the water warms and the postspawn crank bait bite is on, it brings in another variable.

I’ve been in situations where I am pulling cranks on the same chunk of small channel edge and nobody around…then I blink and people are attempting to drift the same spot with current… while dip #3 comes up and spotlocks on it and just starts tossing random baits out.

I don’t let it get to me too much. I just usually leave when people crowd in.

CaptainMusky

Wasn’t really a hassle, actually none at all. And to boat over 200 walleye with my son was well worth it. Catching lots of fish over 25 inch and a 29.5 was also well worth it. Just like every year, I’ll be back in 2025. People seem to flock to other boats. It wasn’t hard to stay away from people and catch fish.

Yeah, the fishing would be fun, but all the people wouldnt and having to walk miles from the truck doesnt interest me at all.

Red Eye

Was on rainy Friday and Saturday morning also. I only had one problem on the river. I was slowly dragging a jig up steam. I moved to the left around a guy that appeared to be spot locked. Then he moved left. I went more left. Then he came more. He looked right at me and knew what he was doing. After the forth time going left I just kept my line and turned my back to him. Half expecting him to hit me. Not really sure how close he got before he got the hint but had to be within 3ft.

slough

There are definitely guys that are dinks, but for the most part I think you just need the right mindset to fish busy water. If your dander gets up when a guy floats 20 feet away from you, it’s probably not the right situation for you. If you get upset when someone takes a couple extra minutes to load their boat, go somewhere else. I fish with guys like this occasionally and it’s like relax, we knew it was going to be busy, let’s have fun regardless.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yeah, the fishing would be fun, but all the people wouldnt and having to walk miles from the truck doesnt interest me at all.
    [/quote]

We luck out and camp right on the river. My truck trailer and temp home is 20 yards from the river bank. I would also hate to walk that far or launch in those crowds. But most everyone up there is nice and all there to have a good time.

Michael Best

Speaking of walking.
    Thursday was my first day up there. Got to Birchdale around 2 pm. Put the boat in and had to park almost at the highway.
    Started walking and a local guy came by and stopped and picked ne up.
    Went to load the boat and the kid on the golf cart gave me a ride. The only cash I had was a $100 bill stashed in the truck. He was tipped well that day. lol

The rest of the trip I slept in my truck at Birchdale. Was able to park in the parking lot the whole time.

Next year I think I will do like Ron does and pitch a portable hub in the camping area.

If you go with a let’s have fun mindset it will be fun. Some people don’t like crowds and that’s cool too. My dad is one of them. It’s not his cup of tea.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Speaking of walking.
    Thursday was my first day up there. Got to Birchdale around 2 pm. Put the boat in and had to park almost at the highway.
    Went to load the boat and the kid on the golf cart gave me a ride. The only cash I had was a $100 bill stashed in the truck. He was tipped well that day. lol

The rest of the trip I slept in my truck at Birchdale. Was able to park in the parking lot the whole time.

Next year I think I will do like Ron does and pitch a portable hub in the camping area.

If you go with a let’s have fun mindset it will be fun. Some people don’t like crowds and that’s cool too. My dad is one of them. It’s not his cup of tea.

We will have to keep in contact and try to get up there around the same time together. Always nice shooting the crap at the fire. I know you caught mine and the kids attention when we starting talking western hunts.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

But most everyone up there is nice and all there to have a good time.

Went to load the boat and the kid on the golf cart gave me a ride.

This has always been my experience on the Rainy, almost everyone is in a good mood and happy to help. And any on water issues are *usually* the same, lots of fun light hearted smack talk when someone gets a little too close, is firing up the devils lettuce, or has a guy sleeping in a boat. And those giving rides to or from parked trucks are the real heroes! rotflol

Michael Best

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Michael Best wrote:</div>
    Speaking of walking.

We will have to keep in contact and try to get up there around the same time together. Always nice shooting the crap at the fire. I know you caught mine and the kids attention when we starting talking western hunts.

Sounds great to me.
    Yeah let me know on the western hunts. I will help anyway I can.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

My neighbor sent me a picture from Lake Pepin. He had x7 fish over 20″ on Saturday. He said he saw 3 boats.

It’s got to be the Bookface. Every jibroni sees pictures of big prespawn eyes and thinks that you have to go towards the dam to get the clout and hero shots.

I too think most don’t understand that Lake Pepin is a river and you fish it like a river.

Glad I didn’t try to get in on that $hitshow this weekend. Heard it’s been a zoo all week.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I don’t mind the bumper boats. I don’t do the rainy but usually pool 4 a few times in the spring. Most guys are in a pretty good mood and it’s fun to jaw with other boats a bit.

After this coming weekend the rivers will be basically empty so a few weekends a year doesn’t bother me.

Ripjiggen

Sounds like it sure beats sitting at home and talking about it on the internet.
    Hell I just found enough time to get my rig out of storage this weekend. I’m jealous of anyone that got out this weekend.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.