Bumper Pear Crop

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The 2 Bartlet trees I have are killing it this year and they are very tasty. Got to keep an eye on them now, this is when the squirrel’s find them and can clean em out quickly.

Attachments:
    1. Pear-Tree-scaled.jpg

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Love pears! Being that close to a road, squirrels would take a back seat.. I might get shot but it’s an acceptable risk peace

Jake Thelen
    Medford, MN

What do you do with all of them? My in-laws have a huge tree that’s just loaded every year, and we eat a bunch fresh, but they just don’t stay fresh for long. Do you have any ways to preserve them?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Funny, there is one of those on my walk and today I tried to get some but the weeds and switch grass were so bad between it and the trail I knew having shorts on would result in leg trauma.

Jimmy Jones

Those are great looking pears. Very clean looking. Do you spray for bugs?

buck-slayer

My grandma had 2 trees and she would can them. They were the best and i don’t think its hard to do. Peeling them seems to be the biggest pain.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The squirrels get most of them. I grab a couple each day now when I pick up the mail and no I do not spray. There are 5 apple/crab apple trees in the area and I believe that’s what helps with pollination.

stout93
    Becker MN

My grandma had 2 trees and she would can them. They were the best and i don’t think its hard to do. Peeling them seems to be the biggest pain.

Get an apple corer/peeler/slicer from Fleet Farm or Runnings. Works almost as good on pears as it does on apples.

We usually make pear sauce (think apple sauce) with our pears. Fill a few crock pots with the sliced up pears, let them cook down to mush. Then just put in zip locks and freeze.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I grew up with pear trees. I only like eating them hard off the tree. Cant stand ripe/soft pears.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I only like eating them hard off the tree.

You’re one of those people?? shock

404 ERROR
    MN

If by Squirrels, you mean MericanEagle…I get ya. Thanks for giving your super secret pear tree location away. devil

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If by Squirrels, you mean MericanEagle…I get ya. Thanks for giving your super secret pear tree location away. devil

Lol!
    Help yourself

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Can you get some wine made out those things and ready for drinking in 2 weeks?

Iowaboy1

Can you get some wine made out those things and ready for drinking in 2 weeks?

I was thinking he ought to take a couple bushels to the farmers market and trade for some shine!

Uh, on second thought that is a bit fer north for that kind of market, oh well.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I could slice a few up for garnish for an everclear/gatoraid.

Iowaboy1

Now you are talking, hope you and the belle dont eat/drink them all before the trip!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.