Buddy Heater with bulk propane tank.

• Crappy Fisherman

Is it safe to have a bulk propane tank in a flip over ( Otter Lodge)hooked up to a Buddy heater while its running? I was thinking of running it this way, but now I’m unsure because of the safety factor. I have a 11 lb. propane tank in the back corner and my regular buddy mounted in the center on the back wall hooked up with the 5 ft. hose. This would keep the heat behind me and keep the fishing area from melting.

Attachments:
    1. C73B8C5B-3572-4580-AF2D-9041835B2DB4.jpeg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think the only issue would be if you had a leak at the tank.

It would prevent your tank from freezing anyway.

I often run my bulk tanks inside. The biggest point of failure is either the connection @ the heater coming loose, or a leak within the heater itself. A tank side failure is far less likely, especially if you have the connection tight and aren’t moving it around.

Most the flameouts I’ve witnessed have been because of leaking cold 1lb tanks.

munchy
    NULL

My biggest fear with doing so is the pressure relief valve on the tank popping open. That would typically only happen if the tank is subjected to a rapid temperature rise, however it can happen at other times as well. I always just leave the tank outside and run the hose under the side anyway since it takes up a good amount of space as well.

Crappy Fisherman

I want to leave the heater in the tub mounted where I have it in the picture. It would be nice to just open the valve and turn on the heater. I have the 10 ft. hose. Think I’ll just move the tank outside. Don’t want to blow up the wife and myself, at least not myself.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

There should be no issue with have the tank inside your shelter. If you had a 1 lb tank hooked to your heater, it would be inside your shelter, correct? A 1 lb tank actually exploding while sitting right next to you guys, is going to be just as dangerous to you and your wife as a twenty lbs tank.

One needs to have leak free connections with either tank and you will be fine.

Buffalo Fishhead

When using a larger propane tank (5, 20, etc.) with a Buddy Heater do you guys use a filter in the line?

Buffalo Fishhead

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

When using a larger propane tank (5, 20, etc.) with a Buddy Heater do you guys use a filter in the line?

Buffalo Fishhead

Yes, I do.

munchy
    NULL

I want to leave the heater in the tub mounted where I have it in the picture. It would be nice to just open the valve and turn on the heater. I have the 10 ft. hose. Think I’ll just move the tank outside. Don’t want to blow up the wife and myself, at least not myself.

In the tub should be fine, it stays considerably cooler in there anyways. Just as long as the heater isn’t aimed at the tank to warm it up I think you’ll be fine.

Crappy Fisherman

Decided to put tank outside. Better to be safe. Thanks for all the help.

Gunflint Trail

It would be nice to just open the valve and turn on the heater. I have the 10 ft. hose.

I spoke to the tech team at Buddy Heater and they gave me the REASON for the filters – VERY INTERESTING.

According to them, ONLY the 10 foot hose does not need the filter because the hose itself is made out of a different material than the other hoses. The other hoses have a “plasticisor” or some chemical in the hose itself that bleeds out of the hose rubber in contact with the propane in operation and the goo will eventually clog the Buddy heater. The 10 foot hose is immune to this.

I bought the 10 foot hose….

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Munchy wrote:</div>
    It would be nice to just open the valve and turn on the heater. I have the 10 ft. hose.

I spoke to the tech team at Buddy Heater and they gave me the REASON for the filters – VERY INTERESTING.

According to them, ONLY the 10 foot hose does not need the filter because the hose itself is made out of a different material than the other hoses. The other hoses have a “plasticisor” or some chemical in the hose itself that bleeds out of the hose rubber in contact with the propane in operation and the goo will eventually clog the Buddy heater. The 10 foot hose is immune to this.

I bought the 10 foot hose….

Interesting. However, it begs the question why not use the same material for ALL hoses?

Gunflint Trail

I think they seemed to imply the other hoses were more flexible. In any case, I bought the 10 foot.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.