Boat Umbrella ideas

• snelson223
    Austin MN

We have a little one on the way and looking for ideas to keep him out of the sun while in the boat.

Musky Ed

Bimini top, or we also used to stretch a beach towel over the windshield to the seat, before we had the top. Also when I had a bay boat in Texas, we used to wet our dog down often, or at times just kept a mid sized towel that we would wet, and lay on top of her. A thin wet towel really cools them down. I’m really sorry, I don’t know what I was thinking. I somehow got a dog on my mind. Bimini top for sure in your case. I also have seen people somehow rig up your standard deck umbrellas some way.

michael keehr

I found a cheap umbrella from a patio set I take one seat of the post and slide the umbrella in I believe mine was a 72 inch. I also put a bungee cord on it. The wind can take them away lol. I also found a small umbrella that had a clamp on it that I can clamp to the windshield for the kids and wife.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Get an Anchor Shade. You can’t run on plane with it but covers a good area.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I use an umbrella from a patio set. I also keep 4 or 5 regular umbrellas on board at all times. Come in handy during the hot sun.

I’ve wanted to have a bimini custom made many times but just can’t justify the price when a $5 umbrella works

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

In hot weather especially if you’re out all day a bimini is worth its weight in gold. They truly are a game changer for making the heat more tolerable.

gary d
    cordova,il

I also use a patio umbrella with a tilt. That way you can follow the sun if you have too.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

x2 or x4 or whatever on the patio umbrella. There isn’t often I find it needed, but I don’t love fishing in a down pour even with good rain gear.

Patio umbrella stores nice with rods, then just put it in a rod holder. Clamp it with a rubber quick clamp and it can handle some serious wind and waves with out clanking around.

Usually only put it in boat when heavy rain is expected.

Attachments:
    1. umbrella.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Bimini keeps me, and my company cool on the hottest days, and dry(er) on the wet days.

Longer the better.
    I have an 8′ on my boat.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

We have a little one on the way and looking for ideas to keep him out of the sun while in the boat.

I took my 1.5 year old son in the boat a couple times this past season for his first trips. An umbrella of some kind would work and there are some good suggestions above.

I simply took him earlier in the day to avoid the worst of the UV rays (and other boaters). Or I took him on a cloudy day. And made sure to use a child-type sunscreen too.

michael keehr

With the little ones please do not have them strapped in a car seat in the boat. I have seen this done so many times and I get an uneasy feeling every time I say something to parents about it. A life jacket will not hold up a child and a car seat. Keep them shaded hydrated and make it fun. My kids love the boat now, wish they would fish longer but it will get there maybe lol.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Last summer even with the top up the sun came in through the sides and made it uncomfortable for our little one, the dog. Had these shade screens made last week. Material is patio canopy screen so it allows air to pass through but makes lots of shade in the boat.

Attachments:
    1. 5588AABD-115F-4C3D-B835-47452F277EE7.jpeg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Last summer even with the top up the sun came in through the sides and made it uncomfortable for our little one, the dog. Had these shade screens made last week. Material is patio canopy screen so it allows air to pass through but makes lots of shade in the boat.

Yes, the past few years i bring a towel and clamp it to the side to block sun. I’ve been working up to making shade screens just like you got. Something to block sun, but allow breeze through. I stress longer the bimini the better for coverage. Them 6′ ones don’t cover much.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.