Boat capsizes, anglers stranded on LOTW island

• Gitchi Gummi

I just read a pretty crazy story about two anglers who’s boat capsized on LOTW and became stranded for a few days on an island. Luckily, a pair of Canadian Police patrolling the border stumbled across them and they were rescued. It could have been a much different ending to the story if that didn’t happen. Probably not the best idea to try to drive from Garden Island to Rocky Point in 3-4 footers, especially in a 40+ year old boat.

LAKE OF THE WOODS, Minn.—Bob Brott and his cousin, Gary Soucie, had just wrapped up a great day of walleye fishing on Lake of the Woods near Garden Island on Monday afternoon, July 31, when their day took a big turn for the worse.

Fortunately, they lived to tell about it.

As Brott recalls, they’d caught a limit of 17- to 19-inch walleyes, and he was steering his 1974 Glasspar powered by an 88-horse Evinrude outboard into a stiff southwest wind for the 15-mile trip back across Big Traverse Bay to Long Point, where they’d launched.

Rough waves, to be sure, but better than the previous night, the first of their trip, when Brott opted to stay on Garden Island rather than risk venturing back to Long Point in rough water.

He figures the waves that Monday afternoon were 3- to 4-footers.

“I’ve had it in rougher water than that with no problem,” Brott, 55, of Eden Prairie, Minn., said. “I knew it was going to take a couple of hours.”

They were 1½ to 2 miles south of Garden Island, when Soucie, 58, of Fairfield, Neb., went to the back of the 17-foot boat to switch gas tanks and discovered the boat was taking on water.

“I was in disbelief,” Brott said.

He went back for a look and saw the bilge pump was running but had gotten plugged and wasn’t pumping; the boat was filling up fast.

Brott, a home improvement contractor, said he was trying to figure out how to remedy the problem when a large wave washed over the stern and turned the problem into a disaster.

“I grabbed a 5-gallon bucket, and I was bailing trying to get that back up a little bit more,” Brott said. “I just couldn’t keep up with it.”

They had just enough time to put their life jackets on before the boat capsized. Soucie tried calling 911 but couldn’t get his cellphone to work, and Brott had lost his phone in the mayhem that ensued.

Charter boats that make daily treks north by that time had returned to resorts along the south shore, and there wasn’t another boat in sight.

So there they were, Brott and Soucie, straddling an overturned boat as it drifted northeast along the south side of Garden Island toward the Ontario border.

No phone. No marine band radio.

Nothing.

Staying close

They thought about trying to swim to Garden Island, knowing charter boats would stop there for shore lunches the next day, but decided that was too risky, Brott says.

“We stayed with the boat and drifted 5 to 6 hours,” he said. “Waves were crashing over the top of the boat, and we managed to hang on without the waves sweeping us off.”

More than once, Brott says, he thought about the three young men who drowned in October 2015 when their boat capsized near Oak Island, several miles north of where he and Soucie now were floating.

“I was very thankful and grateful to God we were with that boat and had lifejackets on,” Brott said. “You’re thinking of your family, about your loved ones and the people that are close to you.”

Sometime around midnight, they washed up on the sandy beach of an island. At Brott’s request, the name of the island, which is in Ontario waters, won’t be disclosed until he’s figured out how to retrieve the boat and salvage any belongings that survived the mishap.

They were cold, Brott says, but the wind kept the worst of the mosquitoes at bay. With only the moon for light, they scrounged enough branches for a makeshift windbreak.

They also managed to light a fire during the night after Brott’s lighter dried off. They huddled by the fire for warmth.

Taking inventory

The next morning, Tuesday, Aug. 1, charter boats again headed north along the U.S. side of the border but didn’t notice the fire or realize their predicament, Brott says.

He took a walk along the shore, but saw no signs of life other than bear tracks and wolf tracks. He found a pop can to boil water for drinking, but later that day stepped on a hot coal buried in the sand and flinched, spilling boiling water on his left foot.

Dipping his foot in the lake kept the pain in check, but the burn definitely slowed him down, Brott says.

They caught and boiled crayfish to eat, Brott says, along with wild berries and pods of what looked like wild peas.

“So we had a few things to eat,” he said. “Not much, but we drank a lot of water.”

After spending a second night on the island, Brott on Wednesday morning, Aug. 2, set off to build a signal fire on a higher rocky point, but his injured foot slowed him down, and he missed the parade of charter boats heading north.

They began to explore other options for getting off the island, Brott says, including building a raft from pieces of a dock they found and lighting a massive signal fire the next morning that would be big enough to get the attention of any passing boat.

“We also built a lean-to in case it rained on the island to stay dry and to keep our firewood dry,” Brott said. “We were making these plans for Thursday morning to make sure that someone would see us, somehow get the attention of a boat on the U.S. side.

“We had seen absolutely no boat traffic on the Canadian side.”

Welcome sight

They had been working on the raft throughout the afternoon, trying without success to flag down boats they saw passing along the U.S. side of the border, when they spotted what looked like a Coast Guard boat, Brott said.

The boat was a long ways off, but it was closer than the others they’d seen, he says.

Then it happened, something they’d been waiting nearly two days to see; the boat saw them and turned toward the island.

Onboard were Constable Jeff Prevett and Cpl. Stacy Morton of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police detachment in Thunder Bay, Ont., who were patrolling the Minnesota-Ontario border. It was late afternoon, and they were just about to head back to Kenora, Ont., nearly two hours away by boat, when Prevett saw something on shore more than half a mile away that piqued their curiosity.

A closer look revealed two bedraggled men and an overturned boat.

“It really was kind of a needle in a haystack,” Morton said in a phone interview. “We had to get in a lot closer and get the binoculars out because from where we were, it was just a tiny little speck on shore, so it was really just curiosity that brought us in. And then, through the binoculars, we saw the two gentlemen frantically waving away.”

Brott said he assumed the officers were on a search-and-rescue mission but that wasn’t the case. The two men hadn’t even been reported as missing.

The island rescue was a first for both officers, Morton and Prevett said.

“The stars aligned for those men that day,” Morton said. “Search and rescue isn’t what we’re doing out there. We’re doing enforcement out there. We’re generally talking to people on the water—not going to shore and looking.”

Brott said he’d never been happier to see police officers, who then took the two men back across the lake to Long Point before returning to Kenora.

“They were very, very nice people,” Brott said. “(Morton) made us sandwiches and gave us water and was just a sweetheart.”

Morton said the men likely would have shortened their time stranded on the island if they’d let someone know their plans and whereabouts before venturing across the lake.

“We’re really glad they didn’t decide to leave that boat,” she said. ” Because the boat is what we saw—not them on shore, not their fire, not their little ‘Help’ sign or anything.

“It was the reflection of their boat.”

Given how tiny the boat appeared on the horizon, Prevett said he’s not surprised other boaters didn’t spot the men or the fire they had built.

“It’s not uncommon for boats in the area to go to shore and have a fire and have lunch, so other boaters going by would just kind of brush it off—other than their boat was upside down,” Prevett said. “But it was not easy to see.”

Brott says the brush with disaster won’t deter him from fishing Lake of the Woods, but he’ll be more diligent the next time he sets out on a long boat ride.

He reached out to share the story in hopes other people can learn from the misadventure. His advice: Check the bilge pump before the water gets rough. Let someone know your whereabouts and when you plan to return. Wear a lifejacket.

And if something goes wrong, stay cool. That definitely helped him and his cousin, Brott says.

“I would be lying if I told you I wasn’t a bit embarrassed by the whole thing, as well,” Brott said. “The best part of it is it does have a happy ending.”

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Guess this a good example why boaters should carry a set of emergency flares. A flare or two or three would have increased their chances of being spotted earlier.
    Glad it all worked out for them in the end.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Speaking of flares which are a very good idea on any body of water, the USCG has approved a strobe that signals SOS repeatedly for night and the distress flag for daytime.

It runs $99.00 and I picked one up after hearing about it at my CG boat inspection from Dean at Skeeter Boat Center.

The great thing about the light over flares is that even if the light gets wet it will still work and there isn’t an expiration date on the light. Flairs have a 3 year life IF they don’t get wet.

And it’s approved by the Coast Guard.

gordonk
    Inactive

Heck, these guys did better than almost anyone on the Naked and Afraid series. Maybe they could go back and start over again, but this time, sans clothing. Might actually get two guys who survive in style instead of barely making it out alive.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Lets keep in mind all the signal gadgets only work if you can get to them. A capsized boat makes that kinda hard. The other interesting thing is they didn’t put their life jackets on until it was nearly to late.

Lucky this story had a happy ending.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Yes.. 3-4′ rollers without the lifejackets on already.. HUGE mistake.. They got super lucky that’s for sure.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Something similar happened to me and a buddy a few years back while canoeing the vermilion river in late October. Thankfully I was mostly prepared (lost my phone though). Luckily things really started going our way the next day. We got our canoe back and found a lot of what we lost down stream. Made it home on time and didn’t tell anyone because they would have been lined up around the block to tell me they told me so.

Neither my buddy or I were injured so we were able to keep it light and mostly joke about how dumb we’re going to look on the news.

Gitchi Gummi

I think the craziest part of the whole story is they thought they could run from Garden to Rocky Point in 3-4 ft waves in a 43 year old boat. That’s a large task, even for a charter type boat.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Lets keep in mind all the signal gadgets only work if you can get to them. A capsized boat makes that kinda hard. The other interesting thing is they didn’t put their life jackets on until it was nearly to late.

Lucky this story had a happy ending.

Kinda hard, but looks like it would have been possible to retrieve some flares in their situation.
    As for myself, on waters like LOTW, I ALWAYS carry a way to start a fire and a small powerful flashlight that has strobe function. I carry these on my person at all times when on the water, without fail.
    boat

CaptainMusky

That is a harrowing experience for sure. No way would I attempt that trek on a boat of that vintage. Heck, I think long and hard about it as it is and I Have a good sized boat.
    Glad it turned out with them being found OK.
    The other key thing here is they didn’t tell people where they were going, for how long and when to be expected back. No one was looking or them. That is bad. Always tell someone where you are going, for how long and when you will be back.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That’s another good thing about the SOS strobe. It floats if it’s not locked away in a compartment.

Even I text my FW when I’m back in at night. There won’t be anyone going by that can help on the ‘sippi until morning.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

That is why I have two bilge pumps in my boat. And of course all the safety stuff. Glad there was a happy ending

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Let’s give these guys some good credit here. Unlike many they kept their cool and methodically worked through ways to survive and signal.

The other credit is they recognize mistakes and are making their story public for others to do better.

I’m guilty of some of the same mistakes, just try not to make them anymore. Solo backpacking in the mountains of Montana come to mind. It was January and no one even know I left MN. Luckily got out of a bad spot. Now I have a pre-determined check in point and escalation calls pre-defined for my wife before I leave.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The age of the boat is not as big a factor as some of you seem to claim. (Guys on Deadliest Catch run older boats) Could just as easily happen to a guy in a new Yar-Crat on it first tank of gas. blush (Don’t ask how I know and where is Sticker when you need him??? peace )

What I think you should all know is it can happen to anyone. As in this case, a series of events triggers disaster in a matter of moments. If the guy switches gas tanks prior to leaving, maybe nothing happens? Bilge pump works, no problems. Who knows, we were not there. Point is they obviously did not see it coming. And it happened very fast.

Good story with a few lessons we can all take away. Leave a travel plan. Wear a life jacket in rough water. Stay with your boat if you capsize. hah VHF radio of no use in upside down boat.

Glad to hear it all worked out.

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Could just as easily happen to a guy in a new Yar-Craft on it first tank of gas. blush (Don’t ask how I know and where is Sticker when you need him??? peace )

Where is that post Jon? It was a good one that showed how ok, became life threatening in moments.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Where is that post Jon? It was a good one that showed how ok, became life threatening in moments.

Dug it up BK. But I’m pretty sure some of it was lost in the site upgrades??? But if you read it, you will get a sense of how fast it can happen.

http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/ftlMille_525256/

I keep this sticker on my boat’s dash window to remind me every time out.

-J.

Attachments:
    1. thissideup.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

This is a good wake up call to make sure all of your safety equipment is accessible.

My flares are buried at the bottom of my bow compartment with my throwable.

For you Great Lakes fishermen, get yourself a good vhf radio with gps distress capabilities. I just recently discovered mine had this option and never knew it. I hooked it up to my gps via 2 nmea wires, now I’m all set. Get a good antenna too.

Looks like I’m going to rearrange my bow compartment this weekend.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Yep things can happen fast out there. Glad JJ and everybody survived his ordeal and also the guys on LOTW. Life jackets folks.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

That brings back some memories Jon. The Ranger seem to stay right side up just fine grin

Was it really a busch light that I gave you…sorry about that doah

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

FYI about the vhf distress signal.

Does Your Red VHF Radio DISTRESS Button Work?

Does Your Red VHF Radio DISTRESS Button Work?
    You are here:
    Did you know it will send an alert to all DSC equipped boats around you in case of trouble?

Quick Tips:

Connect your VHF Radio equipped to a GPS signal on your boat.
    Register for an MMSI number. For use in Canadian (International) waters register through the FCC, US waters register through BoatUS. URLs below.
    Brief your crew. The DSC DISTRESS button will alert Coast Guard and surrounding boats of your problem and location.
    Test your system with a call to the nationwide Coast Guard MMSI number, 003669999. See below for more information.
    Use DSC to communicate on flotilla cruises or directly with friends.
    According to industry sources, fewer than 10% of marine VHF radios have a working DISTRESS DSC button. Why? Most VHF radio owners have not bothered to register for an MMSI number and enter it into their VHF radio (full disclosure: I was one of them several years ago. I kept putting it off…) And they have not connected the VHF radio to a GPS signal on the boat. It is not that difficult, or expensive if a marine electronics shop does it. If this is you, not only is DSC essential for summoning emergency help, it allows you to hear other boats in trouble, and it can be handy to call friends, or make general announcements to other vessels.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I just recently discovered mine had this option and never knew it. I hooked it up to my gps via 2 nmea wires, now I’m all set.

I’m not sure it’s going to work without an MMSI number.

Now that I read the post above…it won’t work.
    I signed up with US BOAT for a year and they’ll give you the MMSI # free. Without the subscription it’s $14.00.

The distress signal will continue until the boat is underwater or is turned off.

I believe it’s a must have for us old farts that fish alone occasionally. I’ll push the damn button and then get on the phone if I have Tmobil service in that area.

If nothing else, they can find me faster than spending all day looking for my body.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>
    The age of the boat is not as big a factor as some of you seem to claim.

x2

True, but many newer boats have upright flotation while a boat of that vintage most likely didn’t. Comparing it to those boats on Deadliest Catch is a tremendous stretch since those boats must meet certain other Coast Guard guidelines that “our” boats don’t. The other key thing is inboard gas tanks. Most boats of the size this one was, have inboard tanks. No switching required.
    Yes, first and foremost I am most certainly glad they are alive and able to tell the story. They certainly did seem to remain as calm as can be expected in a situation like this and it undoubtedly happened very quickly.
    It really makes you think about how remote that area actually is and helpless you could be if something like this were to happen. We all count on cell phones for so much these days, and that area has spotty at best coverage.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Man that’s scary, very glad they made it out alive.

My first trip to Mille Lacs was a quick one this summer. In a matter of 5 minutes we went from happily trolling a reef despite a little chop, to a dangerous situation with big waves, pouring rain and low visibility. After one big wave came over the bow my 10-year-old turned white as a ghost. I wasn’t waiting for waves 2 or 3, my hull is just too shallow. Or I’m just too inexperienced.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Signing up for an MMSI# tonight. Heading back out to Isle Royale sometime next month. Had a false sense of security last weekend out there. Now I know.

That website also tells you how to test to make sure it works as well. Not sure if The coast guard patrols on LOTW but it’ll send out a distress call to others within reach with their radio on.

You can find a good vhf radio for around $100. And gander mountain had several models during their liquidation. Good investment if you ask me.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

biggill is the distress system operational and monitored by the coast guard for the great lakes now? its been a while but I know that lake superior was going to be one of the last great lakes that it went fully active for.

FYI i think it was 7 years ago when I set mine up on my great lakes boat.

Jonesy

Yes.. 3-4′ rollers without the lifejackets on already.. HUGE mistake.. They got super lucky that’s for sure.

To me that is the part that bothered me most. Happy they pulled it out.

in 2015 (same night those 3 kids died on LOW) I was out on leech in my 96 Alumacraft Dominator 165CS. I had 2 guys with me. We were off pine point and had to get back to Northland Lodge. Lake was solid 2’s with some 3’s here and there. I got around pine point took a few large sprays over the bow. I turned around, parked at a resort near pine point called and got a ride.

I’m sure we would have been fine but I did that ride home alone the night before in somewhat calmer water and it took me an hour. Guess my point is don’t be afraid to take the cautious approach. I would have paid for a taxi to come get me at the resort if need be.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

biggill is the distress system operational and monitored by the coast guard for the great lakes now? its been a while but I know that lake superior was going to be one of the last great lakes that it went fully active for.

FYI i think it was 7 years ago when I set mine up on my great lakes boat.

I just did some research and it does appear that Lake Superior andcat least Lake Michigan are covered. Now that’s only within reach of a station. All of the western basin is covered and it appears as though the east and south shores of Isle Royale are covered by the USCG an the entire north and west sides are covered by the Canadian Coast Guard.

Theoretically it’s covered, but I think it assumes you have the proper antenna on your vessel.

There’s a procedure for running a test that I think I’m gonna do next time out on superior. I’ll report back.

If nothing else, I think the distress call goes out to all boats within range as well. I’d sure hope someone would help.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Capt Musky, I believe Jon J THOUGHT he had an upright floating boat 7 years ago…

I think the distress call goes out to all boats within range as well.

I don’t count on the CG on the Mississippi. I don’t know why the L&D’s don’t have a DSC system set up yet. My only hope at night is that someone left their marine radio on at low volume for a weather alert. Like weather alerts, when a distress call comes in it over rides the volume control and squelch to alert a person.

If there is a radio in your boat and it’s making a lot of distracting noise with local traffic, just turn the volume down as low as it will go. If there’s weather or a distress call, you’ll still hear it.

Gitchi Gummi

Quite a stretch comparing boats on Deadliest Catch to the boat these fellers had. The boats on DC spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for R & M and upkeep as well as having to pass Coast Guard inspections. The fact the bilge wasn’t working for these guys compounded the problem, but they were most likely taking on water somehow other than spray from waves. I’m guessing via a slow leak somewhere in the hull which is pretty common the older a boat gets. Regardless, you’re right that even newer boats can get into a predicament like this. My point would be when you’re running a 40+ year old boat, a little extra caution should be exercised, especially when trying to run 20 miles in 3-4 footers.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.