Boat capsizes, anglers stranded on LOTW island

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The point on the DC compare is if you take care of an old boat, there really should be no issues. DC boats capsize and sink in short order too. Singling out the age of boat as a major problem is short sighted imo.

The only fishing boat company (that I’m aware of) that advertises upright flotation is Ranger. If there are others, let me know.

I’ll just say that if you are sitting here reading this post thinking “That can/will never happen to me”, you are sorely wrong. Keep a healthy fear of big water in small boats!

-J.

Nice Fella

I’m happy this story has a happy ending, and credit the guys for keeping their wits about them. And how great is it that this incident has generated so much discussion about safety.

But the most astonishing part is that it was only supposed to be a 3-hour cruise…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Keep a healthy fear of big water in small boats! ~ Amended )

CaptainMusky

The point on the DC compare is if you take care of an old boat, there really should be no issues. DC boats capsize and sink in short order too. Singling out the age of boat as a major problem is short sighted imo.

-J.

Not to belabor this, but the main reason I thought it was a ridiculous comparison was that boats on Deadliest Catch are not “boats” IMO they are ships. Much different than the stuff we put in our garage, but I get it. Maybe the age doesn’t necessarily matter if its cared for well enough, but I was citing the age and the fact that it didn’t have inboard gas tanks. Going distances like that with 5 or 6 gallon tanks is risky in itself IMO. That is 15 miles and an old motor like was on that boat likely takes almost a tank just to get there, let alone get back.
    I guess what one person finds risky another doesn’t. This just didn’t seem like a good idea from the get-go to me before they even reached their destination.

seuss

Not sure that there was any luck except it was July and the surface temp was 80 degrees. My advice to each and everyone of you is simply don’t go out into the bush if you can’t take care of yourself. I’ve had years of experience and training, certified life guard, ROTC and years of Boy Scout experience. I’ve been hunting since the six grade, everything from fowl to big game in the coldest to the warmest temp’s on earth. My point is this, when your out in the wild and you get into a tight situation….SIMPLY stay CALM and let your common sense prevail. Good luck to you all, stay safe and always carry a Bic lighter. Oh and the fishing was just great, I’ll be back to Lake of the Woods! PS. All those folks on the TV shows, give them wet cloths and a Bic lighter….then let’s see how they do…lol Lastly, a big thank you to Officer Stacy Morton, Cpl. & Constable Jeff Prevett, Royal Canadian Mounted Police,Thunder Bay Detachment. Gary Soucie former resident of Big Lake Island…..Ontario

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.