Big Creek Report 5-20-04

• dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

My son and I fished Big Creek this morning from 8:30 till 11:00. I brought a dz minnows with the idea that I would cast plugs and jigs and my son (5 years old) would slip bobber minnows for crappies. We never really found any crappies mostly because the bass and bluegills were so active that we were having too much fun with crankbaits.

We caught maybe 15-20 (1-3 lb) bass and half a dozen bluegills. All the fish were caught in less then 4 feet of water, all within 10 feet of shore. The water was like glass,and as we worked our way along the shore you could see that the shallows were full of bass, bluegills and yes, Muskie! I saw at least 2, possibly 4. (two of them got close enough to the boat to see the stripes).

As far as the crappie go, we didnt find any mostly because we had so much fun with the bass nailing rapalas on the surface, we gave up looking. However, I saw at least 3 boats waaaay back in the coves (North end coves towards the dam). I assume they were fishing for crappies in the very back end, literally 10 feet from the end of cove. The guy at the Polk Bait shop suggested fishing the points outside the cove, but the fishfinder never found anything. It looks like they have moved in.

I have one notable “one that got away” story. Last fish of the day. I cast a Mizuno silver floating plug about 2 feet from shore. It disappeared in a swirl. I set the hook and handed the rod over to my son. (I do that with every other fish). It felt like another 2-3 pounder. My son got a very worried look on his face. He was struggling to keep the rod. When I asked if he wanted me to take it back, he nodded and I grabbed the rod. The drag began to sing and the bass pulled off 10 or 15 feet of line. It came out of the water, then sounded and snapped the 12lb Fireline. I’m guessing it was 6+ lbs. I actually think it turned out better that we actually lost her because my son talked all they way home about how he wanted to come back real soon and catch that bass. He is highly movtivated.

Thats it for now….
    Cheers,
    Dave

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Great report Dave and a big thanks for getting that little guy out fishing with you.He will always remember those days spent with dad fishing.
    Ryan Hale

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.