Big Creek

• zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

I made it out on the lake early Sunday morning and the wind was howling. I started in the lost lake area and had the whole area to my self. I caught a couple of nice fat female crappies and they are still waiting to spawn. The water temp was 55 on the surface so it should start very soon. The crappies are still suspended in deep water and I had the pleasure of catching them on a fly rod. Using a 10′ tippet I used a chartruese beaded Streamer with a strike indicator set at 8′. The ultra slow fall of the streamer really caught the interest of the crappies. If you haven’t tried this presentation, give it a go as it is a ball. I moved out on the main lake and couldn’t seem to find any crappies in concentration so I went looking for walleyes. I dragged cranks in a spot that has been good in the past with no luck. I did notice a lot of bottom hugging fish in 42′ of water so I tried a vertical presentation. I did catch two small walleyes (14″) but with the wind, boat control was almost impossible. I did nail a nice bass, but for the life of me I couldn’t believe it was in 42′ of water. Hope to see you guys on the water. I’m in a 1800 Pro V (Red) with the In-depthagling.com stickers on the boat and motor. Stop and say hi.

james
    Ankeny Iowa

Steve good for you on the getting out in the weather like that . Lets me know I’m not the only one. We were out on pool 9 at Genoa Wi. . Wind was blowing but not that bad and it rained just about all day. Had some drizel and hard rain on and off. Was out there with Lewrance Eckler a guide in that area. Real nice guy and would recomend him to anyone . He is very easy to talk to and willing to help all he can. Hope to fish with him again wait a minute I have booked another trip in May on the 13 & 14 there. He put us on some decient fish and showed us some thing that I was not real clear on . We caugth quite a few eyes a saugers but nothing real big yet. Was up at Red Wing on Fri . the 23rd and the whites were hitting good . Was drifting with 1/16 oz jig and minnow there. I have not been out on Saylorville for some time hope to get out there this week after 5:00pm but don’t know what day. Hope to see you out there sometime. Jim

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Thanks guys.. good reports.. I’m hoping to be out on BC by the end of the week. It’s supposed to be 85 on Wednesday; perhaps that and the wind will bring the water temp up.

Sounds like you have been having way too much fun Jim! Good for you buddy…. See ya on the water.

Dave

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Stopped by Polk City Bait yesterday. Guy behind the counter says that this should have been the week for the crappie bite to turn on but it looks like the weather has postponed it for a week.

Fine with me, I have been procrastinating my boat repairs….

See ya on the water,
    Dave

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I don’t trust that guy in the bait shop. He always says they are biting!

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

So, Are they biting now? It’s a pretty good drive for me, but I’m coming that way as soon as you guys put out the word that the bite is on. I heard 3 mile was hot last week. I assume that the bite is moving north and may have reached Big Creek by this week.

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

The crappies are staged and ready to move shallow. All of the fish I have been catching are in 15-20 feet of water about 8-10 feet down. Most catches have been on jigs but they will also hit minnow/bobber combos. I will be going out this evening and I’ll let you know how it looks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.